Indiana High School Basketball (2019-2020)

5fouls

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, after taking in the IU victory at Assembly Hall, my son and I decided to check out the New Albany vs. Bloomington South game.  Thought it was a good chance for us to see a team of local interest to us (New Albany) go up against a team with an IU recruit (Anthony Leal).  Also, an interesting note is that these two teams have the two best winning percentages in the state over the last 25 years.  South at .793 and New Albany at .775.   A couple of observations.

• New Albany's two best players were out injured, and they also happen to be their only two seniors, and 2/3 of their size.  As a result, the game was a total mismatch.  South led by over 30 for a good chunk of the 2nd half.  We left with South up by 28 with about 3 minutes left, and they ultimately won by 25. I'm not sure Romeo would have made this New Albany team competitive tonight.  No seniors played, they have two juniors opn the roster, one who starts, and the rest of the minutes are going to sophomores and freshman.  Would not be surprised to see New Albany finish with a losing record this year, something that has not happened since the 98/99 season.
  • Leal did not have a good game.  When we left, he had 16 points, about half which came at the line.  New Albany was very physical with him, sending him to the line, but he missed at least 4-5 free throws.  He made one 3 pointer while we were there, at the 1st quarter buzzer, but his others were off the mark and not what you would call 'good' misses.  South posted him quite a bit, and he got knocked around hard when they did, finishing some, missing some, and, as mentioned, going to the line a lot.  Defensively, there was not much to tell because New Albany only really had one offensive threat on the floor, ad he was guarded by another player.  I will also say that Leal seemed seemed to defer a lot, not forcing things, and getting his teammates involved.  The only shot he took in the first quarter was the buzzer beating 3.  

All in all, not teh game we wanted to see when you consider the historical quality of the two programs. We wanted a highly competitive game and to see Leal shine.  We got neither.  That said, Bloomington South is a legit title contender in 4A this season.  They have a lot of quality pieces to go with Leal.  I'm interested to see them play Galloway and Culver on the 14th, but am especially eager to see them when they visit Silver Creek in January.  Both should be much better games than what an injury riddled New Albany team was able to give them tonight.

Big game down south tonight.  Lawrence North, #3 in the coaches poll visits Jeffersonville, #5 in that same poll.  North best Marion by 20 last night while Jeff's only game so far was last weekend against a highly regarded Cincinnati Woodward team.  Jeff won by 4.  

In other news, defending 4A champ Carmel lost their 2nd game of the season last night, getting throttled by #1 Lawrence Central 67-41.  

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Big game down south tonight.  Lawrence North, #3 in the coaches poll visits Jeffersonville, #5 in that same poll.  North best Marion by 20 last night while Jeff's only game so far was last weekend against a highly regarded Cincinnati Woodward team.  Jeff won by 4.  

In other news, defending 4A champ Carmel lost their 2nd game of the season last night, getting throttled by #1 Lawrence Central 67-41.  

Nigel Pack the point man for the winners nice point guard committed to Kansas State fairly early

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Big game in South Whitley tonight to see where my Wildcats stand.  Whitko hosts #21 3A Belmont.  

Almost forgot 'Busco beat Westview last night.  Westview was ranked one spot ahead of Blackhawk in the 2A AP poll.

The 2A preseason poll appears to have been meaningless.  7 of the top 10 have already lost.  I don't know much about any of the teams, so maybe there is an explanation.  I know #1 Andrean lost to a couple of 4A teams, which is reasonable.  But, these are 4A teams that they beat last year, so maybe they really are not as good as last season.  

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The 2A preseason poll appears to have been meaningless.  7 of the top 10 have already lost.  I don't know much about any of the teams, so maybe there is an explanation.  I know #1 Andrean lost to a couple of 4A teams, which is reasonable.  But, these are 4A teams that they beat last year, so maybe they really are not as good as last season.  

I know what you are saying.  But like you I don't know much about any of them.  I did notice that 'Busco had a kid by the name of Perlich.  That last name resonates in my mind.  I played against against a Jeff Perlich from 'Busco.  I do believe he was an Indiana All-Star in '86.  As far as Westview they have the typical Yoders!  LOL.  

Blackhawk crushed New Haven last night.  Is New Haven where the Baby Catsup bottle plays?

58 minutes ago, rico said:

Big game in South Whitley tonight to see where my Wildcats stand.  Whitko hosts #21 3A Belmont.  

Almost forgot 'Busco beat Westview last night.  Westview was ranked one spot ahead of Blackhawk in the 2A AP poll.

My stars got their butts handed to them by South last night in Bedford! Leal with 25 for the victors and Damon’s son with 15 for the losing hosts

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lawrence North beats Jeffersonville in OT.

11 hours ago, rico said:

Bellmont over Whitko by 9. 

Good loss?

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If someone can occasionally give me updates on Linton Stockton Id appreciate it. I think they are #1 in 2A. Have friends and ex coach coaching them.

Good news is I no longer live in Kentucky!!! Bad news is I’m further from home living in Florida now!!!

Yep.  #1, 3-0 record.  Big game against Barr-Reeve on January 4th.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

If someone can occasionally give me updates on Linton Stockton Id appreciate it. I think they are #1 in 2A. Have friends and ex coach coaching them.

Good news is I no longer live in Kentucky!!! Bad news is I’m further from home living in Florida now!!!

Forgot you were a Dugger guy. My first coaching job was with Linton 

Anthony Leal and Bloomington South have an interesting weekend.  They play at Southport on two consecutive nights.  On Friday, it's a standard regular season road game.  Then, on Saturday night, they make the trip up 37 again for their game in the Southport shootout against Trey Galloway and Culver Academy.  

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Stole this link from Mile in the Medora thread:

https://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/logsLinton-Stockton.htm

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

5fouls has put this link up countless times, it is your go to source for Indiana High Schools hoops...

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/

1 hour ago, rico said:

5fouls has put this link up countless times, it is your go to source for Indiana High Schools hoops...

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/

Thanks all. I'll save that. I guess I'm going to have to sign up with this twitter stuff or something else. A lot of the info on the kids etc is on there. I was following Lincoln Hale avg 28 a game right now it seems whose dad went to Dugger with my cousin and later where I went to school. Joey also seems to have them playing well early so yes the Barr Reeve game will be a big test for them. With most of my family and friends sending kids there it's as close I have to a home team now. Thanks to all the others that shared!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks all. I'll save that. I guess I'm going to have to sign up with this twitter stuff or something else. A lot of the info on the kids etc is on there. I was following Lincoln Hale avg 28 a game right now it seems whose dad went to Dugger with my cousin and later where I went to school. Joey also seems to have them playing well early so yes the Barr Reeve game will be a big test for them. With most of my family and friends sending kids there it's as close I have to a home team now. Thanks to all the others that shared!

The group of Linton kids that played for their 1st state title were all kids from the kindergarten class my 1st year there. We instituted a biddy ball program and the rest is history. Unfortunately the head coach that should have gotten a lot of credit was fired because we did not allow all the druggies and flunkies on the team like the football program did. 

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The group of Linton kids that played for their 1st state title were all kids from the kindergarten class my 1st year there. We instituted a biddy ball program and the rest is history. Unfortunately the head coach that should have gotten a lot of credit was fired because we did not allow all the druggies and flunkies on the team like the football program did. 

Yeah..Linton not exactly a beacon of virtue with their athletics. It's about W/Ls and yes some politics. I know they often even recruit kids in surrounding small schools as well (it's been happening for so long football, basketball, softball etc) I guess with most schools not having a great program people understand why parents move kids and don't put up a fuss. I'm sorry to hear that...Joey's father Joe had the same thing going at Dugger for a long time until he burnt out. Youth basketball and camps. It was about all the little town had. Sounds like Joey landed in a good situation there. He is a good coach so I'm sure he made the most of it.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah..Linton not exactly a beacon of virtue with their athletics. It's about W/Ls and yes some politics. I know they often even recruit kids in surrounding small schools as well (it's been happening for so long football, basketball, softball etc) I guess with most schools not having a great program people understand why parents move kids and don't put up a fuss. I'm sorry to hear that...Joey's father Joe had the same thing going at Dugger for a long time until he burnt out. Youth basketball and camps. It was about all the little town had. Sounds like Joey landed in a good situation there. He is a good coach so I'm sure he made the most of it.

Joey has done really well there. He was successful at Shakamak prior . Played several rounds of gold at the Phil Harris golf course in Linton with the elder Joe Hart. Very good coach, great art teacher, good golfer better person. 

Archived