Vanderbilt loses

Hoosier987

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought they were a horse racing school.

One of the major streets in Chicago is Belmont.  Riverview Park was on the corner of Belmont and Western.  To this day, I can recall the ads for Riverview, always ending in...located at the corner of Western and Belmont. 

Riverview Park (Chicago) - Wikipedia

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Belmont is usually a very good program and has a very good coach.

Belmont has exactly 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is 0-7 in those appearances.  They almost upset Duke in 2008, but otherwise, their losses haven't really been that close.  They do well in conference, which means, they play in a weak conference. Meh. I doubt they are as good as Indiana State.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Belmont has exactly 7 NCAA tournament appearances and is 0-7 in those appearances.  They almost upset Duke in 2008, but otherwise, their losses haven't really been that close.  They do well in conference, which means, they play in a weak conference. Meh. I doubt they are as good as Indiana State.

I meant they were good for a small conference and since 2006 they have been a lot better than ISU.  The highest seed they had was a 1th seed and 4 15 seeds so you are not going to win tournament games.  I have watched them many times and they play basketball that IU fans would really like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Geez - that Bryce Drew and Vandy team is something else. They got whooped by ASU (no shame in losing to a good team). However that puts them now at an outstanding 3-7 record. I don't believe they've won in nearly a month - they've certainly shown no improvements, and their stud recruit is caught in some scandal at Brentwood. I'm sure their ten fans are thrilled with these developments.

4 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If Romeo is waiting to see how the season for IU is going to go, I sure hope as heck he's looking at Vandys' record.....   Aint good

The difference is Vandy has two other top 15 players coming in. I love our class, but it doesn't have comparable top end talent. 

17 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Geez - that Bryce Drew and Vandy team is something else. They got whooped by ASU (no shame in losing to a good team). However that puts them now at an outstanding 3-7 record. I don't believe they've won in nearly a month - they've certainly shown no improvements, and their stud recruit is caught in some scandal at Brentwood. I'm sure their ten fans are thrilled with these developments.

what scandal I haven't heard about this?

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The difference is Vandy has two other top 15 players coming in. I love our class, but it doesn't have comparable top end talent. 

Yes they do, but do we maybe put too much weight on that? It's not like IU's class is bad, there are many compelling reasons for Langford to want to play with our incoming class, and then you add to it the core we'd hopefully have returning. Give Langford a pg like RP with some shooters (Anderson/Hunter) around him and also two bigs that are good passers (Morgan/Davis) and Langford could really showcase himself in a winning environment. 

IMO, if Langford wants to play with complimentary pieces and a team more set up to win, then IU is the spot over Vandy (not meaning to dismiss Kansas, just that the conversation has been framed as IU vs. Vandy in this thread). If his goal is to a part of something perceived as a "Big 3" then yes, Vandy has that. 

Edit: Then add to it all the other reasons IU would make sense (facilities, fanbase, home team/legendary status possibilities) and I just don't see how Vandy can stack up? Is there only sales pitch the fact that they have Shittu and Garland?

Just now, BGleas said:

Yes they do, but do we maybe put too much weight on that? It's not like IU's class is bad, there are many compelling reasons for Langford to want to play with our incoming class, and then you add to it the core we'd hopefully have returning. Give Langford a pg like RP with some shooters (Anderson/Hunter) around him and also two bigs that are good passers (Morgan/Davis) and Langford could really showcase himself in a winning environment. 

IMO, if Langford wants to play with complimentary pieces and a team more set up to win, then IU is the spot over Vandy (not meaning to dismiss Kansas, just that the conversation has been framed as IU vs. Vandy in this thread). If his goal is to a part of something perceived as a "Big 3" then yes, Vandy has that. 

I agree with this. I think part of the deal with Vandy is his friendships there, too. 

I actually think as far as being the guy on a good team, IU offers him the best opportunity. I mean no disrespect to Rob, but can you imagine a top 5 pick replacing him on this team? We'd be a very good team. Throw in better PG play that we should have next season and it is honestly a great situation. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with this. I think part of the deal with Vandy is his friendships there, too. 

I actually think as far as being the guy on a good team, IU offers him the best opportunity. I mean no disrespect to Rob, but can you imagine a top 5 pick replacing him on this team? We'd be a very good team. Throw in better PG play that we should have next season and it is honestly a great situation. 

Agree. If IU adds Langford there's a chance we could be really, really good next year, assuming Morgan and Davis both stay, which I don't see why they wouldn't. Morgan would be a conference player of the year candidate, at a far different position than RL so they would compliment each other. You'd also have Smith with a year under his belt and Race, then add the other guards in that class. 

It would actually be perfect, as guys like Anderson and Hunter would have less pressure to be focal points as freshmen and could kind of ease into roles as defenders and shooters as Langford takes most of the spotlight that year. 

It could really be a strong team. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. If IU adds Langford there's a chance we could be really, really good next year, assuming Morgan and Davis both stay, which I don't see why they wouldn't. Morgan would be a conference player of the year candidate, at a far different position than RL so they would compliment each other. You'd also have Smith with a year under his belt and Race, then add the other guards in that class. 

It would actually be perfect, as guys like Anderson and Hunter would have less pressure to be focal points as freshmen and could kind of ease into roles as defenders and shooters as Langford takes most of the spotlight that year. 

If Morgan keeps this up, he might go early.

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Vandy loses their top 2 scorers from this years team and the rest of the roster is not that great.  IU supporting cast is still better next year than what his would be at Vandy.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Until Morgan develops a outside jumper I don't think he'll be on many GM's draft board. He doesn't have the athleticism on both sides of the ball and shooting skills that made OG a first rounder and wont be big enough to play in the post against NBA talent. Filling up the stat sheet in college doesn't mean you're an NBA player. Davis also has a long way to go if he has a chance to get drafted. Doesn't mean they wont leave...but they'll end up like JBJ if they do. Hopefully losing underclassmen to the G League is not going to develop to a trend for IU BB. 

Archived