Vanderbilt loses

Hoosier987

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. If IU adds Langford there's a chance we could be really, really good next year, assuming Morgan and Davis both stay, which I don't see why they wouldn't. Morgan would be a conference player of the year candidate, at a far different position than RL so they would compliment each other. You'd also have Smith with a year under his belt and Race, then add the other guards in that class. 

It would actually be perfect, as guys like Anderson and Hunter would have less pressure to be focal points as freshmen and could kind of ease into roles as defenders and shooters as Langford takes most of the spotlight that year. 

It could really be a strong team. 

Plus, imagine if McRoberts does start shooting the open 3 like you mentioned in another thread. He has shown he is capable of hitting at a decent clip, but I think being a walk-on he is trigger shy because he doesn't want to try and do more than he is asked and end up on the bench. Now that we only have 5 guards so he is more or less guaranteed minutes the rest of the year, I'd love to see him start shooting the open threes he gets. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Until Morgan develops a outside jumper I don't think he'll be on many GM's draft board. He doesn't have the athleticism on both sides of the ball and shooting skills that made OG a first rounder and wont be big enough to play in the post against NBA talent. Filling up the stat sheet in college doesn't mean you're an NBA player. Davis also has a long way to go if he has a chance to get drafted. Doesn't mean they wont leave...but they'll end up like JBJ if they do. Hopefully losing underclassmen to the G League is not going to develop to a trend for IU BB. 

Completely agree. I don't think Davis' game translates to today's NBA (at the moment) and Morgan would serve himself well to spend all offseason working on his perimeter shooting and come back next year as a Big Ten POY/AA candidate. If Morgan did that he could work himself into a high second/late first round pick. 

But as you said, that doesn't mean they won't go. I'd expect both to test the waters under the new rules. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Plus, imagine if McRoberts does start shooting the open 3 like you mentioned in another thread. He has shown he is capable of hitting at a decent clip, but I think being a walk-on he is trigger shy because he doesn't want to try and do more than he is asked and end up on the bench. Now that we only have 5 guards so he is more or less guaranteed minutes the rest of the year, I'd love to see him start shooting the open threes he gets. 

Oh man, that team next year with everyone back and adding Langford, with a McRoberts that can hit open 3's, would be a really, really good team. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Oh man, that team next year with everyone back and adding Langford, with a McRoberts that can hit open 3's, would be a really, really good team. 

We would really be a significantly better team all around.  Langford would be about 100 times better than RoJo, Phinisee should be a definite upgrade over Newkirk, Thompson and Forrester should provide a better frontcourt presence than McSwain, and McRoberts could fill Hartman’s role.  Factor in improvement from Morgan, Davis, Green, Durham, Smith, and Moore, and add in two more talented wing scorers in Hunter and Anderson.  It would be like this season’s team on steroids.

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Until Morgan develops a outside jumper I don't think he'll be on many GM's draft board. He doesn't have the athleticism on both sides of the ball and shooting skills that made OG a first rounder and wont be big enough to play in the post against NBA talent. Filling up the stat sheet in college doesn't mean you're an NBA player. Davis also has a long way to go if he has a chance to get drafted. Doesn't mean they wont leave...but they'll end up like JBJ if they do. Hopefully losing underclassmen to the G League is not going to develop to a trend for IU BB. 

They say that Juwan does not miss threes in practice. But it's not translating very well to the games.

Just now, IU Scott said:

If I remember correctly he started his freshmen year shooting well from the 3.

I believe he did. 

I'm okay with feeding him down low, because the man has just flat out been a beast this year, especially on Saturday. 

4 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

No one thought Troy or yogi would make it either.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

True, but to the point on Morgan, while not blowing the doors off Troy did develop an at least reliable jumper by his junior year. Add to it that Troy is a freak athlete in the prototypical NBA mold, where Morgan is a more crafty player. 

I just think with Morgan the difference in coming back next year with a developed 3-pt shot is the difference between going undrafted and trying/praying to catch on somewhere, or being a high 2nd round pick on an NBA roster to prove yourself. 

In the past several years there was some benefit to going undrafted, as we've seen with Troy and Yogi, but I think the NBA switched it back to benefiting a player being drafted in the upper-to-middle second round with the new 2-way player contracts with the G-League. 

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I thought Yogi would make a team because he's a heady PG who can distribute the ball and shoot the 3 but I didn't think he would get drafted and he didn't. Troy I thought needed an extra year to hone in on his skill set (mostly outside shooting and ball handling), he also didn't get drafted but made a team. I thought he could be a long term pro (although he's getting zero playing time so far this year) but was just leaving a year early and could have played his way into a 1st round draft pick contract as a result. I'm not saying Morgan can't make it in the NBA but he's not going to get drafted if he leaves after this year which means he'll be fighting for a 30k contract with a G league assignment. Smart money comes back to try and play your way into the draft and get a guaranteed contract. 

29 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Should this thread be allowed to keep going and we can't beat isu and ft.wayne at home? Seems a little smug.

Good point. Wonder though how unlucky we can be though? That’s twice in-state mid-majors have come into our gym and essentially made a ton of threes with their eyes closed. Some due to poor D, but a lot were not. However, the intensity on our end was extremely lacking, which is surprising from a CAM team bc he’s always intense. And in both games we shot terribly. We need a couple perimeter guys next year that can light it up bc that’s a big weakness of ours right now. I’m very disappointed in RJ’s inconsistency and poor outside shooting. It has been poor right? Need more from our other leaders not named Juwan (RJ and Collin). Going to be a long year boys. We need to land RL and hope the other kids and another year of recruiting for CAM will brighten the future up a little bit. I know it’s early, but at Wiscy in a couple weeks is a must win in my book if we still have hopes of making the tourney.

23 hours ago, Indykev said:

Should this thread be allowed to keep going and we can't beat isu and ft.wayne at home? Seems a little smug.

A little smug? really!? - and this coming from an IU fan no less. I better really watch what I type on this message board if individuals are beginning to think that a post about another school (and their losses)not named Indiana is smug.  Wake up! We're competing against these guys for recruits. Vanderbilt fans certainly trolled us - sorry, but I think this thread is appropriate and there's nothing inappropriate about it.

Archived