Dancing with a Co worker

Drroogh

May have posted this in the old ALLOWED political thread! However this is not political and somehow I feel inspired tonight to tell this story again! My reason is at the end!

So, I'm at a club on Friday night with some co-workers, there's no band but there is a dance floor with some pretty good dance music playing in the background. I'm not a good dancer and it usually takes some liquid courage for me to ask someone to dance, but there is one girl in our group that is pretty much dancing in her chair and since no one else is asking, I asked her if she wanted to dance. I received a huge smile but a polite no thank you. Okay, I've received turn downs many times but this was different! Awhile later, she is still dancing in her chair and I have some more courage, I ask her again, same response. I'm confused? Awhile later, she is still dancing in her chair and nobody else is asking her to dance and I've got some more courage, I ask her a third time. She accepted!! So we go out on the dance floor, and I have to admit I was way out of my league, she was by far the best dancer I have ever been on the floor with and yet she was loving it. It was pretty obvious from the huge smile on her face that she was enjoying dancing and it was pretty clear to me that I had nothing to do with her joy. Song ended and we thanked each other for the dance and went back to our group at the table. Later I am walking through the club and the bouncer approaches me and in a friendly manner asks me if I would step outside with him? I'm like thinking I have not done anything that would warrant a beat down as soon as I step outside, so I maybe foolishly step outside. As soon as we get outside the Bouncer sticks out his hand to shake mine, completely confused at this moment I gasped his hand and shook it! That's when the entire night became clear! To put it in perspective it was 1977. As the bouncer shook my hand, he said that he had been a bouncer at the club for quite awhile  and I was the first white person he had seen on the dance floor with a black lady, you see the bouncer was also black!

From that night forward, I went from being color naïve to color aware! I never realized before how much different life was for blacks and whites!

Hope this story makes you aware!

And now the reason for my post, one of the greatest basketball players in their time Bill Russell finally accepted his NBA HOF ring! His reason for waiting more than 40 years inspired me to post this!

Archived