Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

This one came down to coaching in the end.  CTA doesn’t manage timeouts and clock well and it bit us here.  The timeouts we used early weren’t effective or even necessary. Would it have made a difference?  Who really knows?  The team is improving and we have better talent on both sides of the ball that now give us a chance to compete in these types of games.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

This one came down to coaching in the end.  CTA doesn’t manage timeouts and clock well and it bit us here.  The timeouts we used early weren’t effective or even necessary. Would it have made a difference?  Who really knows?  The team is improving and we have better talent on both sides of the ball that now give us a chance to compete in these types of games.  

Really?  Coaching in the end?  Christ.

4 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I really thought it came down to having the front seven worn down on their last drive.  Their qb kept running RPOs and we fought valiantly but could not get a key stop.  But it was death by a thousand cuts.  They didn’t totally just gash us.  We resisted.  But they inched down the field and we couldn’t get the stop.  

4 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I don't think it would have made any difference.  We would have had a little more time left, but we still would have needed to get an onside kick at the end.

5 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

How? We used TOs when we needed them. 

Usage of TOs was a non factor. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really thought it came down to having the front seven worn down on their last drive.  Their qb kept running RPOs and we fought valiantly but could not get a key stop.  But it was death by a thousand cuts.  They didn’t totally just gash us.  We resisted.  But they inched down the field and we couldn’t get the stop.  

Yep.. although... 2nd and 9 on their 2nd play of the drive and we blitzed Brown perfectly off the edge and he whiffed... would have been 3rd and 11 front their own 24. 

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

4 plays...

Dropped TD

Whops muffed punt

PI on PSUs 2nd possession (awful call)

The fake punt debacle (no way that was a called fake) 

Sigh. Overally I'm ok with the way we played. If that's a top 10 team, we're pretty good. Ramsey is so solid. Ellis goodness. OL just couldn't do enough. 

Add the non call on targeting that resulted in a fumble. 

8 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

The only coaching decision I disagree with was the timeout and then the fake punt.  I don't think that was the intended call, but the coaches shouldn't put the team in that situation. 

Bigger issue was the lack of common sense on replay.   Philyor didn't touch the punt.   That hit that took him out was 100% targeting. 

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Really?  Coaching in the end?  Christ.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How? We used TOs when we needed them. 

Usage of TOs was a non factor. 

Two time outs at the end to have an extra 3-4 minutes at the end of the game as opposed to running out of time.  We called a timeout to fake a punt.  Call another time out on 3rd down to give up a 20 yd gain.  Not productive

1 minute ago, Andy06 said:

The only coaching decision I disagree with was the timeout and then the fake punt.  I don't think that was the intended call, but the coaches shouldn't put the team in that situation. 

Bigger issue was the lack of common sense on replay.   Philyor didn't touch the punt.   That hit that took him out was 100% targeting. 

But it was never supposed to be a fake punt.  The long snapper simply messed up the snap.

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Two time outs at the end to have an extra 3-4 minutes at the end of the game as opposed to running out of time.  We called a timeout to fake a punt.  Call another time out on 3rd down to give up a 20 yd gain.  Not productive

Lol.. we didnt call a TO fake a punt. We weren't suppose to fake it. 

This is a pretty lame take honestly. Have a good one. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Lol.. we didnt call a TO fake a punt. We weren't suppose to fake it. 

This is a pretty lame take honestly. Have a good one. 

I will. Same to you.  My point being is if you are going to punt then get your punt team out or take a delay of game.  Time outs are a commodity. 

5 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Maybe it did or maybe it didn’t hit Whop. The real question is, what was he doing even being close to that ball?

9 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

2 timeouts at the end would have only saved about 1 minute, not 3-4.  We still would have needed the onside kick.

Or you can talk about it in the huddle. Do you coach? 

Or you can talk about it in the huddle. Do you coach? 

Coached multiple sports.  Xs and Os May be different but you have to be organized. 

Sidenote is that I think on the whole Allen is a great job!

Moral victories suck and count for nothing.  But if you can't see the trajectory we are on as a program,  I don't know what to say.  Everyone knows on the road we have to be 2 scores better;  we were 1 score better. Think of the fact that we are a couple plays/calls away from being 9-1.  Gotta like how things are progressing. 

A lot of what ifs. Proud of how we fought back. That dropped TD pass loomed large. Had that been caught we might be up 1 and PSU kicked a fg on any of the 4th downs...maybe even missing the longer one and we would had a shot at the end. Muffed punt etc...lots of things happen to turn the game. We just didn’t make enough plays but no doubt we were good enough to win.

Archived