Michigan Pregame Thread

On 11/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, IU Scott said:

Another thing it is sad to me that the traffic on this football board is so slow for this huge game.   I just wish at Iu that the fans could be excited about all of the sports and back the football just like we do basketball.

Hear ya Scott, but it's going to take time and results. IU football fans have had their hopes crushed so many times. We need a signature win.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 47 times, shame on me"

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

To get to Gate 12 from 46 East I would take a right on Smith Road (2nd light once in Bloomington) and take a left at the T (SR 45/10th Street). Follow 10th to the bypass and go right to 17th Street.  Right on 17th to Fee Lane and a right on Fee to Gate 12.  Smith Road helps eliminate mall traffic and tie-ups where 46 (3rd Street) meets up with the bypass.

Thank you!

On 11/18/2019 at 2:00 PM, Andy06 said:

Caveat...I am not a football expert or coach.

But UM DC Don Brown from what I have watched loves to do a lot of zone blitzing.   I feel like that fits into our offensive strength with Ramsey.

Michigan is playing well right now,  and there's slight chance they blow us out.  More than likely we are in for a dogfight to the end.  I am still on the  #9windiana bandwagon.

Sorry, but I can't see a blowout.  Somehow the line keeps going up.  Now 9 1/2.  This is crazy.  Didn't Penn State blow out Michigan, or at least beat them?  This will be a close game unless IU turns the ball over a lot, which is not normal.  What I don't know, is Philyor playing or are they being extra cautious with him?

1 hour ago, IUguy said:

Sorry, but I can't see a blowout.  Somehow the line keeps going up.  Now 9 1/2.  This is crazy.  Didn't Penn State blow out Michigan, or at least beat them?  This will be a close game unless IU turns the ball over a lot, which is not normal.  What I don't know, is Philyor playing or are they being extra cautious with him?

I don't think it will be a blowout, maybe a 2% chance it gets out of hand.  We would have to hand them a couple of TDs off turnovers,  pick 6, fumble return, etc.

I hope Whop plays, but I would be stunned.  I am not overly confident he will play in the bucket game.   Concussions are so unpredictable. 

I have a lot of confidence in Ellis playing well in that role.  I wonder if we have more 2 TE sets and use them in passing mismatches.

2 hours ago, IUguy said:

Penn St. survived against Michigan at home.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Penn St. survived against Michigan at home.

The Wolverines are improved from early in the year.  We'll need some breaks as well as playing a strong error free game.  They still likely have more depth than IU.  I still think we have a good chance at an upset.  We have also improved.  I will be there.  Go Hoosiers!!  Fire up Big Red...Fire up!!   😁

16 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The Wolverines are improved from early in the year.  We'll need some breaks as well as playing a strong error free game.  They still likely have more depth than IU.  I still think we have a good chance at an upset.  We have also improved.  I will be there.  Go Hoosiers!!  Fire up Big Red...Fire up!!   😁

I don't buy this "Michigan has improved from earlier in the year" rhetoric.  They got snake bit by Army but pulled out a win and ran into a buzz saw in Madison.  They have two losses against high quality opponents, on the road no less.  

With that being said, we are a high quality opponent as well and they are coming to our turf.  I expect to send them out with another "L" on their resume.

8 hours ago, rico said:

I don't buy this "Michigan has improved from earlier in the year" rhetoric.  They got snake bit by Army but pulled out a win and ran into a buzz saw in Madison.  They have two losses against high quality opponents, on the road no less.  

With that being said, we are a high quality opponent as well and they are coming to our turf.  I expect to send them out with another "L" on their resume.

Ok...I think I was remembering some media types criticizing them and basically saying they looked bad...lost their identity.  You're right about Army and Wisky, at that time.  But I still believe they can be our marquee win that signals IU's course change in football.

56 minutes ago, rico said:

I think the bulk of their "improvement" is coming from their dismantling of Notre Dame, who isn't as good as their ranking this year.  Notre Dame also suffered the same fate against Michigan that Purdue suffered earlier in the day against Illinois - you can't win without a running game in torrential rain.

Now, I do think Michigan is better than they were at the beginning of the year, but that game definitely oversold it somewhat.  They've also benefited from when they played Maryland and MSU; I think IU would also handle those teams easily right now.

I'm excited for this one; IU is legitimately good this year, and they've been close to beating Michigan for awhile now.

It’s the right time of year for the traditional late season Harbaugh skid. 

2018: lost to OSU, lost bowl game

2017: lost to Wisconsin, lost to OSU, lost bowl game

2016: lost to Iowa, beat IU, lost to OSU, lost bowl game

You can pretty much count on adding 2-3 losses to their mid-November record. 

12 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I think the bulk of their "improvement" is coming from their dismantling of Notre Dame, who isn't as good as their ranking this year.  Notre Dame also suffered the same fate against Michigan that Purdue suffered earlier in the day against Illinois - you can't win without a running game in torrential rain.

Definitely - this and beating up on Maryland and Michigan St the last two weeks. But Michigan often blows out the teams it can overwhelm, so I don’t think those last two games are very meaningful at all. 

1 hour ago, jimsorgi said:

Definitely - this and beating up on Maryland and Michigan St the last two weeks. But Michigan often blows out the teams it can overwhelm, so I don’t think those last two games are very meaningful at all. 

The Michigan beat down of Notre Dame was an anomaly.  Just as Wisconsin's beat down of Michigan was.  Make no mistake, the Wolverines are a fine team.

Archived