Chili!

Drroogh

With the colder weather settling in the last couple of weeks, I thought I would try some new chili recipes. I was a little reprehensive with this one as it has some non standard ingredients like mustard, ketchup and lime juice, but OMG I just threw away the old stand bye recipe I've had for several decades!

https://www.food.com/recipe/kellys-chili-50732

Didn't have any bell peppers and my pot was too full to even put the onion in, I used Chipotle pepper for my premium pepper and Garlic Salt instead of the garlic powder and salt. Just used a can of crushed tomatoes for the tomatoes but everything else was per the recipe!

So HSN what is your award winning CHILI recipe

aac5d964-7be7-4908-a4c7-99082d7c1828_1.7

My wife has a coupe of great chili recipes. Of which I could not tell you the ingredients.  She has the recipes in her head.

However, when I make chili. I use the 2 alarm chili kit.  Which has the instructions on the back of the box.  Plus don't get alarmed by the name. As you can temper the heat any way you want.

Lastly.  Anymore. The only way for me to compliment chili is with a ton of Oyster Crackers. Continuously spread on top as I eat it.

Edited by milehiiu

1lb ground beef

1lb stew meat 

2 cans diced tomatoes 

2 cans tomato paste

3/4 can tomato juice

Salt,pepper,cumin,chili powder, smoked paprika or paprika, cayenne 

Fresh diced onion, green bell pepper, garlic, jalapeno.  

I dont measure anything just guesstimate.  And if I smoke some pulled pork I substitute it in in place of beef. 

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

1lb ground beef

1lb stew meat 

2 cans diced tomatoes 

2 cans tomato paste

3/4 can tomato juice

I dont measure anything just guesstimate.  And if I smoke some pulled pork I substitute it in in place of beef. 

Umm.  Maybe try to add some beans.  Like Kidney beans.  Or Kidney and Black beans.  Just a suggestion. I know some people don't care for beans in their chili. But I do.  Others like to top their chili with cheese or sour cream. And that's ok for them.  But not for me.

25 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Umm.  Maybe try to add some beans.  Like Kidney beans.  Or Kidney and Black beans.  Just a suggestion. I know some people don't care for beans in their chili. But I do.  Others like to top their chili with cheese or sour cream. And that's ok for them.  But not for me.

I used to do beans and still do on occasion.  Only reason I took the beans out is because the wife wanted to start following the paleo diet. I just like to eat food so I said whatever. 

But thanks for the suggestion. Chili beans with kidney or black beans is my combo when I do bean in chili. 

I eat chili year round.  My chili is very basic; however, browned hamburger, kidney beans, tomato sauce (no chunks) and about half a beer.  Eat it with crackers and occasionally shredded cheese.  Another thing that is really goes with chili is a peanut butter sandwich.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

aac5d964-7be7-4908-a4c7-99082d7c1828_1.7

My wife has a coupe of great chili recipes. Of which I could not tell you the ingredients.  She has the recipes in her head.

However, when I make chili. I use the 2 alarm chili kit.  Which has the instructions on the back of the box.  Plus don't get alarmed by the name. As you can temper the heat any way you want.

Lastly.  Anymore. The only way for me to compliment chili is with a ton of Oyster Crackers. Continuously spread on top as I eat it.

Along with diced onions

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I don't share this opinion, but some people have a saying: if you know beans about chili, you know chili doesn't have beans.

Personally, I like it about 3:1 meat to beans.

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

1lb ground beef

1lb stew meat 

2 cans diced tomatoes 

2 cans tomato paste

3/4 can tomato juice

That's pretty damn close to mine. I do throw in one small can of black beans, and instead of chili powder, I do one chopped chipotle with a heaping teaspoon of adobo.

And I won't deviate on this: hot smoked Spanish paprika. Gives enough heat that I skip the Cayenne, but it's a more "level" heat. Doesn't hit you all at once, but builds to a steady level.

If you're doing a paleo diet, watch the chili powder. Some brands include sugar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do I break a golden or is adding elbow macaroni to chili ok? Wife got me hooked with that addition. 

You'll never catch a sideways glance from a Cincinnatian for eating chili and pasta.  Might question why it's not spaghetti, but far from a strange concept. 

A mound of shredded cheese equal to the size of the pasta, hot sauce and oyster crackers are required though. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

You'll never catch a sideways glance from a Cincinnatian for eating chili and pasta.  Might question why it's not spaghetti, but far from a strange concept. 

A mound of shredded cheese equal to the size of the pasta, hot sauce and oyster crackers are required though. 

Skyline was a staple for me growing up and with son in Cincy now we visit a lot to skyline

Just now, IUFLA said:

They actually sell Skyline down here in Texas in the frozen food section.

I love Cincinnati style 5 way chili, so just upon the merits of looking out for us displaced midwesterners, I'd give Skyline my vote.

But what I wouldn't do for some Frisch's tarter sauce...

Now you are talking. With a Hot Fudge Cake to go with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Now you are talking. With a Hot Fudge Cake to go with it.

Yeah buddy...my face gets a sugar tingle just thinking about it. Love Frisch's burgers too.

Just to throw this back on track, but does anybody else like Steak n Shake chili? I love that stuff. Steak n Shakes are few and far between down here, but Walmart sells their chili.

Edited by IUFLA

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah buddy...my face gets a sugar tingle just thinking about it. Love Frisch's burgers too.

Just to throw this back on track, but does anybody else like Steak n Shake chili? I love that stuff. Steak n Shakes are few and far between down here, but Walmart sells their chili.

Love steak n shake chili with fresh onion, cheese, and oyster crackers. And try to get their chili mac a couple times a year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got home after the holidays and realized I didn't have anything cooked for the week. So I now have some Chili in the slow cooker for overnight! Thought came to mind, can you overcook chili? I mean it always seems the longer it cooks the better, but again can you overcook chili?

As I type this, a funny family anecdote comes to mind. Was going to heat up some leftover chili in the microwave and commented to my brother I was going to nuke it. My brother being  an IU grad in physics and having worked at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories for the Atomic Energy Commission said where I come from Nuking takes on a whole new connotation!

I make a white chicken chili that I'm always told is the best.  Been using the pressure cooker lately but the best flavor is grilling the chicken loaded up with seasoning, think Mexican.  Lots of cumin.  Garlic, Cheyenne,  little paprika-not a personal favorite,  chili powder, salt, pepper.  2 cans of tomatoes with jalapenos,  an onion, 4 cans northern beans, 2-4 lbs of chicken depending on audience.  Feel free to put sausage or even bacon I  the mix it up.  Half a block or Velveeta or just cheddar and sour cream.  You cant mess it up really.  I like hint of lime tortillas and fresh guac and pico. 

If pressure cooking do your chicken with tomatoes(acidic) and chicken broth covering the meat first.  Then chop your meat and throw everything back in another 10 mins or so.  

• 3 weeks later...