IU vs Seton Hall. From an SH perspective

milehiiu

This team still retains some of the characteristics from Crean's teams, for better or worse (mostly worse), but one that I haven't seen mentioned is the tendency to play to the level of competition and to beat ranked teams, particularly early in the season.

Seton Hall could completely dominate IU, but I'll be interested to see if they come out with more energy and determination against a perceived better opponent.

I did not see much disrespect in the comments directed towards IU. Basically, just reported things as they are....we struggled against two low level opponents.

IU has a chance to make a statement in this game. Not going to be easy, especially as this will be the first road game for the freshmen. Time for Rojo, Newkirk and Morgan (if he plays) to step up.

14 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This team still retains some of the characteristics from Crean's teams, for better or worse (mostly worse), but one that I haven't seen mentioned is the tendency to play to the level of competition and to beat ranked teams, particularly early in the season.

Seton Hall could completely dominate IU, but I'll be interested to see if they come out with more energy and determination against a perceived better opponent.

Agree with you. Crean's teams did upset highly ranked opponents many times, but he had offensive go-to guys in his teams. All we have now is struggling offense. We have to win with our defense, but it's not there yet. Our older guys are confused how to apply schemes in real game situation. I'm hoping not to get humiliated in a true road game.

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Without Collin and Morgan, I'm not too optimistic about winning but fully expect others to step up and make it competitive,

With this we need to see what kind of game Davis and more importantly Justin Smith can provide. Smith is the X factor for this year's squad. If he can continue to get more comfortable and gain confidence he can make up for the production we don't have currently with Hartman and Morgan.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I did not see much disrespect in the comments directed towards IU. Basically, just reported things as they are....we struggled against two low level opponents.

IU has a chance to make a statement in this game. Not going to be easy, especially as this will be the first road game for the freshmen. Time for Rojo, Newkirk and Morgan (if he plays) to step up.

I never said we were disrespected. I even said we haven’t done anything to earn any praise, however...saying we got “throttled” without providing context, and then “squeaked” by a low-major (not what happened, as we controlled the game)...without saying anything positive, doesn’t show any respect towards us. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This will be more of a barometer of what we have than either of the first two games.  I ecpect to lose without Hartman and Morgan but think we can keep it close.

Agree it is a better barometer, too bad we're not healthy. This is a game where the veterans should step up, hopefully we see Rob and Newkirk both play strong, with Davis going strong inside and continuing contribution from the frosh. I hope Morgan and Green can play and contribute.

Great to see Morgan now a possibility to play. We will need his size. 

I think all 3 starting guards will play well. Newkirk due to have some of his shots falling. Green also set to rebound and will be looking to make a splash going back out East. RoJo coming around. Freddie will be needed for defense and rebounding. I think the key will be rebounding and foul trouble for Davis. I hope we go inside early and often to put pressure on their bigs. 

39 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I never said we were disrespected. I even said we haven’t done anything to earn any praise, however...saying we got “throttled” without providing context, and then “squeaked” by a low-major (not what happened, as we controlled the game)...without saying anything positive, doesn’t show any respect towards us. 

Lol, what “context” was there for the ISU throttling?  And only beating a low major by single digits most definitely counts as “squeaking” by.  Homerism around here is getting out of control.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’d prefer Morgan not to play anyway.  He hasn’t improved much since he’s arrived.  Much rather see Justin Smith get his minutes.  

Morgan is similar to Hartman. Not all of his contributions show up in the box score. We will miss him on the boards and as an extra ball handling outlet.

I imagine a high turnover game if we employ 3 guards for a significant amount of time. It seems like Seton hall has decent backcourt defense that churn out some turnovers if given the opportunity.

I just hope they let Smith get as much experience as he can stay on the floor for similar to the Howard game.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, what “context” was there for the ISU throttling?  And only beating a low major by single digits most definitely counts as “squeaking” by.  Homerism around here is getting out of control.

The ISU game was an anomaly.  There's never been an opposing team hit 17 3's in HH.  Nobody could've beaten ISU that night with the way they were shooting.  There have been games where we blew elite teams out because we were just shooting the lights out.  When we beat those elite teams because we couldn't miss, people don't respond with wow Mich. St. (or whoever) must really be bad.  They say wow IU could not miss that night.  That's context for the throttling.

During that 2nd half against Howard, were you ever genuinely concerned that we might lose that game?  I certainly wasn't, so I'd say that's not "squeaking" by a team.  Squeaking by is being lucky we beat a team.  We didn't destroy them, but we weren't seriously threatened.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Exactly what CPA said above. Has anyone ever won a game when their opponent hits 17 threes? Especially on 22 attempts (ballpark)? Do we take no blame for those 17? Certainly not, but they weren’t missing anything. There’s plenty of context outside of the record shooting performance. 

Howard shot 35%. We shot 54%. We also had 29 free throw attempts to their 16. We had a 2:1 A:TO. They were 1:1. We had 8 blocks  

We didn’t have our senior leader and best shooter for either game. Starting PF injured early, no return. 

There’s no homerism from me. I’ll say we are a poor 3 point shooting team. We are poor at the FT line. We have poor leadership and effort. We should Howard by 30 points. We did not “just”’squeak by. And I’ll bet you tickets to an IU game no one hits 17 threes against us again this year. 

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.  I’ve had this exact same argument too many times already, so I’ll bow out of this one.  The stream of excuses and rationalizing is embarrassing IMO, but to each their own.

Don’t want to take my bet?

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.  I’ve had this exact same argument too many times already, so I’ll bow out of this one.  The stream of excuses and rationalizing is embarrassing IMO, but to each their own.

So you can judge a team by two games and you don't think teams can improve over time.

Archived