Southport High School

jefftheref

I just read where Southport High School has been banned from the 2019-2020 boys tournament for a recruiting violation. Their coach has  been suspended for the first two games (weak) and their athletic department is on probation for 1 year. They player involved is ineligible for the 2019-2020 season. 

Some of you need to know the whole reason as to who is to blame. If the school would have suspended the coach for a longer period of time like the entire season then the team wasn't going to have to sit out of sectional play. The school wasn't willing to do that so the IHSAA had to punish the school. The school is who is guilty not the IHSAA. There were other schools recruiting this kid too btw but Southport's coach won out. 

47 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Some of you need to know the whole reason as to who is to blame. If the school would have suspended the coach for a longer period of time like the entire season then the team wasn't going to have to sit out of sectional play. The school wasn't willing to do that so the IHSAA had to punish the school. The school is who is guilty not the IHSAA. There were other schools recruiting this kid too btw but Southport's coach won out. 

Either way the innocent kids on the team are getting punished.  I know that public schools aren’t allowed to do this but the whole debate on private schools and public is worth its own thread. 

9 minutes ago, Hard Hat said:

Either way the innocent kids on the team are getting punished.  I know that public schools aren’t allowed to do this but the whole debate on private schools and public is worth its own thread. 

That is correct but the school district and administration is at fault not the IHSAA. Privite schools can't recruit either if they are an IHSAA school by rule. 

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Yes, and the IHSAA wasn't happy about the 2 game suspension:

Respective of Rule 20 of the IHSAA by‐laws, the response from Southport High School and Perry Township Schools, the following determinations have been made:

1.The Southport High School athletic department is placed on probation for 365 days from the date listed above. This probation is a severe type of warning. It is official notice that unacceptable and serious violations have occurred, are a matter of record and future, similar incidents will not be tolerated.

2.The IHSAA accepts the suspension of Head Coach Eric Brand by Southport High School for the first two contests of the 2019‐20 season yet notes this suspension falls woefully short of the expectations of the IHSAA from its voluntary member school.

3.Southport High School student Nickens Paul Lemba is hereby declared ineligible for the 2019‐20 school year.

4.Southport High School is hereby removed from the 2019‐20 IHSAA Boys’ Basketball Tournament Series.

Guys. We have a great Southport Insider. Who is a relatively new member. A great one, in fact.   Freshman coach.  So I caution you. As to what you say about Southport. I know you have not come down on the school as much as the IHSAA.   Just saying.  Don't forget. These are people. No different than you or me.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Guys. We have a great Southport Insider. Who is a relatively new member. A great one, in fact.   Freshman coach.  So I caution you. As to what you say about Southport. I know you have not come down on the school as much as the IHSAA.   Just saying.  Don't forget. These are people. No different than you or me.

Sorry but cheating is cheating. I don’t care. As a high school coach myself it makes it that much harder for clean programs to win. I only blame the Brand and the school administration. If other assistants were okay with the actions then they are guilty too.

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Sorry but cheating is cheating. I don’t care. As a high school coach myself it makes it that much harder for clean programs to win. I only blame the Brand and the school administration. If other assistants were okay with the actions then they are guilty too.

Hear what you are saying. But our member is a freshman coach. Not an assistant. Doubt highly he was guilty, or even knew of the infraction.  Can be part of a program. And not be aware, nor  guilty of what those above him are doing.  Having said that. I am sure our member is aware now. But let's beware of what we say in condemning all at the school.

That's all I am saying.  I would not want to lose a valued member and contributor to our site, because of what others at his school have done.

As an example. In the dark ages. I had a teacher who all of a sudden was replaced by another.  Only to find out he was guilty of having sex with one of my fellow students.  That did not mean that any of my other teachers were guilty. Or even knew what had gone on.

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

If a CEO in New York commits fraud, you don't fire the secretary at the branch office in Omaha. 

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hear what you are saying. But our member is a freshman coach. Not an assistant. Doubt highly he was guilty, or even knew of the infraction.  Can be part of a program. And not be aware, nor  guilty of what those above him are doing.  Having said that. I am sure our member is aware now. But let's beware of what we say in condemning all at the school.

That's all I am saying.  I would not want to lose a valued member and contributor to our site, because of what others at his school have done.

As an example. In the dark ages. I had a teacher who all of a sudden was replaced by another.  Only to find out he was guilty of having sex with one of my fellow students.  That did not mean that any of my other teachers were guilty. Or even knew what had gone on.

That is possible. That said however I know plenty of freshman coaches that are also varsity assistants. Help scout, game plan, help with practice, and other stuff. They know what’s going on in the program. Could it be different at Southport? Sure but you and I don’t know that. Also comparing a coaching staff to teachers in a school is completely different. I also never said anything about the freshman coach being punished unless he knew about it. If he didn’t then their is no reason for that.

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Analogy being that people on lower rungs of the organization aren't always automatically guilty if wrongdoing has occurred in places above them. 

It depends on if they know or not. Now in this situation I’d say it is possible this was all the head coach and his AAU connections that did this. That said I don’t know that for sure.

And all I was attempting to do, was to say to be prudent with what we say. Knowing that one of our newest members is on staff at Southport. And has drawn rave reviews for his contributions.  I just don't want to have anything said, that would stop him from continuing to contribute.

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And all I was attempting to do, was to say to be prudent with what we say. Knowing that one of our newest members is on staff at Southport. And has drawn rave reviews for his contributions.  I just don't want to have anything said, that would stop him from continuing to contribute.

I agree with that. Maybe I came on a little strong with my comments. It’s just an issue that I get frustrated by. 

Archived