OG's big night

kaustical

31 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Could be worse. They could have been the team that traded away Kawhi Leonard on draft day. Oh, wait....

I like to stir things a little. Only 1 team truly saw what KL could be. When San Antonio or the Patriots call just hang.up the phone and keep whoever it is that they want. It all honesty Pacers needed a point guard and since they just drafted Paul George there was no way that PG and KL could play together. Oh wait...

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I like to stir things a little. Only 1 team truly saw what KL could be. When San Antonio or the Patriots call just hang.up the phone and keep whoever it is that they want. It all honesty Pacers needed a point guard and since they just drafted Paul George there was no way that PG and KL could play together. Oh wait...

There's a ALOT of truth to that.  

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Pacers take an unfair hit because of the optics of the trade.  If they had been able to trade the pick directly to the Spurs in exchange for Hill, everyone would call it a missed opportunity, but they'd be in the same boat as the other 29 teams.  The Pacers didn't select Leonard.  The Spurs did.  The trade was the pick in exchange for Hill.  The Pacers simply selected who the Spurs told them to select.  They couldn't execute the trade that way due to (assuming) salary cap reasons. 

And honestly, giving up a first round pick for Hill at the time wasn't a terrible deal.  A little overpriced, but not astronomically.  He averaged 15/5/4 for four seasons....that's not bad production. Hell, the guy is still in the league today.

41 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The Pacers take an unfair hit because of the optics of the trade.  If they had been able to trade the pick directly to the Spurs in exchange for Hill, everyone would call it a missed opportunity, but they'd be in the same boat as the other 29 teams.  The Pacers didn't select Leonard.  The Spurs did.  The trade was the pick in exchange for Hill.  The Pacers simply selected who the Spurs told them to select.  They couldn't execute the trade that way due to (assuming) salary cap reasons. 

And honestly, giving up a first round pick for Hill at the time wasn't a terrible deal.  A little overpriced, but not astronomically.  He averaged 15/5/4 for four seasons....that's not bad production. Hell, the guy is still in the league today.

Timely article and an interesting read -- https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28111598/clippers-paul-george-kawhi-leonard-destined-play-together

Among other things from the article:

GEORGE AND LEONARD coincidentally were both drafted by the Pacers, George selected 10th in 2010 and Leonard going 15th in 2011 before being dealt to the Spurs.

George recalled watching that 2011 draft and being confused by the Pacers' pick. Before learning of the trade, he wondered why the Pacers would pick a player who played the same position and displayed similar strengths. George was entering his second season with the Pacers and was feeling unsettled and nervous that Leonard could take his job.

Leonard was wondering the same thing.

"I'm like, 'They already got a two-way player,' " Leonard said in July at their introductory press conference. "But as our careers moved forward, I see how he developed -- how I developed -- and I wonder [what] if we would have stayed in Indiana."

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Timely article and an interesting read -- https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28111598/clippers-paul-george-kawhi-leonard-destined-play-together

Among other things from the article:

GEORGE AND LEONARD coincidentally were both drafted by the Pacers, George selected 10th in 2010 and Leonard going 15th in 2011 before being dealt to the Spurs.

George recalled watching that 2011 draft and being confused by the Pacers' pick. Before learning of the trade, he wondered why the Pacers would pick a player who played the same position and displayed similar strengths. George was entering his second season with the Pacers and was feeling unsettled and nervous that Leonard could take his job.

Leonard was wondering the same thing.

"I'm like, 'They already got a two-way player,' " Leonard said in July at their introductory press conference. "But as our careers moved forward, I see how he developed -- how I developed -- and I wonder [what] if we would have stayed in Indiana."

Imagine this...Pacers decided to be at the fore front of small ball and stretch 4. Danny Granger doesn’t get hurt and they have Collison, George, Leonard, Granger, and West...with Lance and Hibbert coming off the bench. Probably could have picked up a better point guard but man that would have been interesting lol.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Imagine this...Pacers decided to be at the fore front of small ball and stretch 4. Danny Granger doesn’t get hurt and they have Collison, George, Leonard, Granger, and West...with Lance and Hibbert coming off the bench. Probably could have picked up a better point guard but man that would have been interesting lol.

That's the point I was getting at above. Yes, it's a wonderful thought, but there's absolutely no guarantee that had the Spurs not been involved that the Pacers would have selected Leonard. That was entirely the Spurs doing. RC Buford called Bird and said to draft this Leonard kid. I doubt the Pacers put too much effort into it, since the plan all along was to trade it for Hill.

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's the point I was getting at above. Yes, it's a wonderful thought, but there's absolutely no guarantee that had the Spurs not been involved that the Pacers would have selected Leonard. That was entirely the Spurs doing. RC Buford called Bird and said to draft this Leonard kid. I doubt the Pacers put too much effort into it, since the plan all along was to trade it for Hill.

I believe it has been said publicly that had SA not asked Pacers to take Leonard they were leaning a different direction with that pick 

Archived