What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

14 hours ago, IUaic said:

Beat Tennessee on Jan. 2nd and we should be ranked again.

I know we are a football school, but beating the Vols in football will not help our basketball team get ranked!!!  It didnt work the other way around the last 100+ when we were a basketball school either!  Keep this on the main sport (football) board!  🤣🤣🤣

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep your eye on the ball. To achieve your goal. Which should be making the NCAAT.  I think most here agree that it takes at least 20 wins.   And we are half way there, as of today.

Also, one metric the NCAAT committee uses for the tourney is the NET.  As of today.... IU is in good shape there as well.

NET Nitty Gritty - Dec. 15, 2019.pdf

All of our wins, other than Fl St, were against cupcakes, plus just getting by at home against Nebraska did not look too good (of course, it looks a lot better after they beat OSU handily yesterday), plus losing badly to Wisconsin, who then lost to Rutgers, all combine for us not being ranked despite our 10-1 record.  If we beat Notre Dame and Arkansas and then start winning our fair share of BIG games, the rankings will take care of themselves.

1 hour ago, IUguy said:

All of our wins, other than Fl St, were against cupcakes, plus just getting by at home against Nebraska did not look too good (of course, it looks a lot better after they beat OSU handily yesterday), plus losing badly to Wisconsin, who then lost to Rutgers, all combine for us not being ranked despite our 10-1 record.  If we beat Notre Dame and Arkansas and then start winning our fair share of BIG games, the rankings will take care of themselves.

Not sure I'd call Nebraska a cupcake. Regardless, let's see, UNC -- lost to OSU 74-49, lost to Wofford at home, record of 6-4; PU also 6-4, with losses to Nebraska, by 14, Fla St, who of course we also beat, Texas, but they get 36 votes to IU's 22, and that's just a couple of the teams. Keep saying I don't think we've played like a ranked team, don't think we have, but taking care of business is not enough to get ranked, the polls at this point are, as to a number of teams, just silly.  

1 hour ago, IUguy said:

Nebraska, UConn, even in a down year, LaTech aren’t “cupcakes.” 

We haven’t played a killer schedule, nobody will dispute that, and we do have a lot of questions about our defense, but, I think it’s important not to overstate things.

1 hour ago, IUguy said:

Maybe Nebraska should be top 25.  Beating both OSU and Purdue on the same day.  Wow.

2 hours ago, IUguy said:

Do you realize what you’ve just done??

2 hours ago, IUguy said:

Well said Sir!  Every time I say we should be ranked, we play uninspiring ball.  After FSU, there was no doubt but then UConn & NEB @ Home said otherwise.  Forget rankings & try playing every game like it’s your last, then let’s talk rankings.  Went from excited and talking tournament to NIT in 2 games!  Playoffs?  Playoffs?  You wanna talk Playoffs, LOL.

i'm getting annoyed with some of this logic from supposed IU fans.  Let's talk about some of the teams that are ranked ahead of us.  Justify these.  I want to hear it.

• Should Purdue with 4 losses, including to 2 teams that we beat, be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should North Carolina, with 4 losses in their last 5 games, including a home beatdown by Wofford, be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should Liberty, with a 347th ranked strength of schedule be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should Texas Tech, with 3 losses and trailing 3-8 Southern Miss at half as I type this be ranked ahead of us?

It's one thing to say we don't deserve to be ranked when the teams ahead of us do.  But, the fact of teh matter is that there are many teams ahead of us in the rankings that have done less than we have this season.  IU may not always be winning pretty, but they have done a good job with the most important part of that equation, which is winning.

I challenge anyone that does not think we should be ranked to publish a Top 25 in this thread that does not include IU, and justify your selections with solid rationale.  And, no, I won't accept North Carolina, Purdue, or Liberty as rational.  .

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i'm getting annoyed with some of this logic from supposed IU fans.  Let's talk about some of the teams that are ranked ahead of us.  Justify these.  I want to hear it.

• Should Purdue with 4 losses, including to 2 teams that we beat, be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should North Carolina, with 4 losses in their last 5 games, including a home beatdown by Wofford, be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should Liberty, with a 347th ranked strength of schedule be ranked ahead of us?
  • Should Texas Tech, with 3 losses and trailing 3-8 Southern Miss at half as I type this be ranked ahead of us?

It's one thing to say we don't deserve to be ranked when the teams ahead of us do.  But, the fact of teh matter is that there are many teams ahead of us in the rankings that have done less than we have this season.  IU may not always be winning pretty, but they have done a good job with the most important part of that equation, which is winning.

I challenge anyone that does not think we should be ranked to publish a Top 25 in this thread that does not include IU, and justify your selections with solid rational.  And, no, I won't accept North Carolina, Purdue, or Liberty as rational.  .

It appears they care more about the wins over quality opponents than the number of losses right now.  

I don’t have justification why those teams are head of us. I just don’t think we are playing very well. 10-1 and 6-4 shouldn’t be comparable.  You can play a hell of a schedule but if you don’t beat anyone who cares. SOS means nothing if you lose them all. I think we have the potential to be a top 25 team, and maybe we should be. Compared to others. But I wouldn’t say with the recent performances of ours I’ve seen we are playing like a top 25 team. Hey I’m glad we’re 10-1 and we have won the games we’ve had. But I haven’t been impressed besides our mental fortitude to not quit. 2 years ago this team is 7-4 under the same circumstances. We’ve found ways to win when we haven’t played good. That’s great. Just need to keep improving. If we beat notre dame and Arkansas we will be ranked. 

Archived