What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kentucky's SOS is worse than ours.  And, their loss is a lot worse than ours.  Not holding back the voters there.  

Not disagreeing but everyone will remember them beating Mich St to open the season which buys them credibility.  Plus the talent is always in their favor so probably some voter bias there. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I don’t have justification why those teams are head of us. I just don’t think we are playing very well. 10-1 and 6-4 shouldn’t be comparable.  You can play a hell of a schedule but if you don’t beat anyone who cares. SOS means nothing if you lose them all. I think we have the potential to be a top 25 team, and maybe we should be. Compared to others. But I wouldn’t say with the recent performances of ours I’ve seen we are playing like a top 25 team. Hey I’m glad we’re 10-1 and we have won the games we’ve had. But I haven’t been impressed besides our mental fortitude to not quit. 2 years ago this team is 7-4 under the same circumstances. We’ve found ways to win when we haven’t played good. That’s great. Just need to keep improving. If we beat notre dame and Arkansas we will be ranked. 

What does 'playing like a Top 25 team' even mean?  Top 25 means for this season.  A top 25 team this season can't be compared against a top 25 team from a prior season.  The 10th best team this season may not even be worthy of a Top 25 ranking in some random year in the past.  What matters is whether a team (IU) has done enough to be considered as having a better season than other teams this year.  I provided sound logic for why several teams that are ranked ahead of us should not be. 

We're not the '76 Hoosiers, and no one is implying we are.  But we are a team that, in the 2019-2020 season has done enough up until this point and time to be considered for a Top 25 ranking.   People that strongly say we have not are comparing us to prior Indiana teams and not comparing us to other college basketball teams this season.

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" about other teams (except for PU & UK losing). I don't care about rankings either. I care about how we play.

To me, there are 3 things that matter:

1. B1G reg season championships
  2. NCAA Banners
  3. What were the team's own goals, and did they exceed them.

How we get there is not as important as getting there. If we win Fugly...so be it. If we don't quit, we'll get better. There are no "style points" in BBall.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  

This happens in every human poll though, especially in the first portion of the season.  IU is not getting the benefit of the doubt because we havent been top 25 or tournament caliber the last few years.  We have to prove it.  That's fine with me.  The numbers all shake out at the end of the year anyway. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

What does 'playing like a Top 25 team' even mean?  Top 25 means for this season.  A top 25 team this season can't be compared against a top 25 team from a prior season.  The 10th best team this season may not even be worthy of a Top 25 ranking in some random year in the past.  What matters is whether a team (IU) has done enough to be considered as having a better season than other teams this year.  I provided sound logic for why several teams that are ranked ahead of us should not be. 

We're not the '76 Hoosiers, and no one is implying we are.  But we are a team that, in the 2019-2020 season has done enough up until this point and time to be considered for a Top 25 ranking.   People that strongly say we have not are comparing us to prior Indiana teams and not comparing us to other college basketball teams this season.

I think it means shooting better than 20 percent from 3. Not allowing 90 points at home to a mediocre Nebraska team at home. Not getting beat by 20 at a mediocre Wisconsin team. Beating an average UConn team by more than three. We haven’t been impressive that’s all I’m saying. Only thing I’m comparing is our mental toughness which is I said is better. If we had played 3/4 games like the Florida state game yeah I get it. And in no way do I think purdue should be getting more votes than us. I just haven’t been overly impressed. Which I guess I would expect one of the best 25 teams in the country to impress me when I watch them and say wow they would be tough to beat. Not wow we’re making the same mistakes again. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I think it means shooting better than 20 percent from 3. Not allowing 90 points at home to a mediocre Nebraska team at home. Not getting beat by 20 at a mediocre Wisconsin team. Beating an average UConn team by more than three. We haven’t been impressive that’s all I’m saying. Only thing I’m comparing is our mental toughness which is I said is better. If we had played 3/4 games like the Florida state game yeah I get it. And in no way do I think purdue should be getting more votes than us. I just haven’t been overly impressed. Which I guess I would expect one of the best 25 teams in the country to impress me when I watch them and say wow they would be tough to beat. Not wow we’re making the same mistakes again. 

But, my point is that you can say the same thing about every other team in college basketball this season.  Your judging us based on what you think an IU team should look like, not against what a Top 25 team in the 2019-2020 college basketball season is actually playing like.   

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, my point is that you can say the same thing about every other team in college basketball this season.  Your judging us based on what you think an IU team should look like, not against what a Top 25 team in the 2019-2020 college basketball season is actually playing like.   

Yeah you’re right. I haven’t watched every game every team has played this year. I’m just saying we haven’t been playing very well. And maybe a bunch of other teams haven’t either. But I can’t blame someone for not ranking us if they have watched us play.

3 hours ago, IUguy said:

All of our wins, other than Fl St, were against cupcakes, plus just getting by at home against Nebraska did not look too good (of course, it looks a lot better after they beat OSU handily yesterday), plus losing badly to Wisconsin, who then lost to Rutgers, all combine for us not being ranked despite our 10-1 record.  If we beat Notre Dame and Arkansas and then start winning our fair share of BIG games, the rankings will take care of themselves.

UConn isn't the UConn of old, but they're not a cupcake. Especially in what amounted to a home game for them.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Like a West Virginia wedding, it's all relative.

i still say when people keep saying they don't care if we're ranked year after year it sounds like loser mentality.  yeah, we want to win the conference, get in the tourney, all that.  if you're doing that, you're ranked.  i care about being ranked.  IU should be good enough to be ranked in the top 25 every year.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still say when people keep saying they don't care if we're ranked year after year it sounds like loser mentality.  yeah, we want to win the conference, get in the tourney, all that.  if you're doing that, you're ranked.  i care about being ranked.  IU should be good enough to be ranked in the top 25 every year.  

I think what they mean is that they don't care about being ranked in and of itself.  They care about the other stuff you mentioned.  Being ranked just happens to come along with it.

11 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Honestly, during the FSU and UConn games the broadcasters made a huge deal several times about the extremely weak IU schedule.  I am sure the voters are still punishing IU for this approach

I wonder if they made a stink about other one loss teams SOS? Two one-loss teams above us (183) are Wichita State (196)and Gonzaga (277). 

I know it’s not an apples to apples but SOS never seems to hurt Gonzaga. I know that theirs will always be higher because of the conference they are in, but isn’t now the time they should boost their SOS?

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I wonder if they made a stink about other one loss teams SOS? Two one-loss teams above us (183) are Wichita State (196)and Gonzaga (277). 

I know it’s not an apples to apples but SOS never seems to hurt Gonzaga. I know that theirs will always be higher because of the conference they are in, but isn’t now the time they should boost their SOS?

Kentucky is the 1 loss team that jumps out to me.  KenPom has their SOS at something in the 330's.  Do announcers on their games make a big deal about the schedule?

And, UK's loss at home to Evansville is much worse than ours on the road at Wisconsin.

Yet, the Cayuts are ranked 6th by the AP, while we got fewer votes than Liberty.

How does that NOT piss off an IU fan.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kentucky is the 1 loss team that jumps out to me.  KenPom has their SOS at something in the 330's.  Do announcers on their games make a big deal about the schedule?

And, UK's loss at home to Evansville is much worse than ours on the road at Wisconsin.

Yet, the Cayuts are ranked 6th by the AP, while we got fewer votes than Liberty.

If I have time, it'd be interesting to do a +/- comparison of UK's preseason ranking to their final ranking over the past 10 years. 

Maybe it's my bias, but I can't think of a time in the last 10 years they exceeded expectations. Even when they won the NC they started out the year ranked #1, right?

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kentucky is the 1 loss team that jumps out to me.  KenPom has their SOS at something in the 330's.  Do announcers on their games make a big deal about the schedule? And, UK's loss at home to Evansville is much worse than ours on the road at Wisconsin. Yet, the Cayuts are ranked 6th by the AP, while we got fewer votes than Liberty.

Understand your sentiments. But...knowing the media as I do, I'm not surprised at all that we get no respect from them. On the coach's poll, I think they rate teams far differently than the AP poll. I think the coach's look at the potential for this year, not past performance as their benchmark. Whether that potential comes to fruition is yet to be determined.

To me, being ranked anything other than #1 at the end of the season, doesn't float my boat anymore. Winning is what matters, not ranking. Gleas had it right about not being ranked might put a chip on the shoulders of many of our players. I think Archie as covered the kick in the ass area, both for the team, and himself, based on his comments last night on the radio show.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

If I have time, it'd be interesting to do a +/- comparison of UK's preseason ranking to their final ranking over the past 10 years. 

Maybe it's my bias, but I can't think of a time in the last 10 years they exceeded expectations. Even when they won the NC they started out the year ranked #1, right?

According to the AP:

18-19: -5
17-18: -13
16-17: -3
15-16: -9
14-15: even (NC year)
13-14: ? (went from 1 to unranked)
12-13: ? (went from 3 to unranked)
11-12: +1
10-11: (went from 1 to unranked)
09-10: +2

Conclusion: almost always over-ranked. That said, I wouldn't mind that type of success. 

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Exactly! All those other things translate to being ranked. I’d like (expect) to be ranked throughout the season every year. And besides just being nice, it gets you more air time when ESPN is showing highlights (they’re not showing non-ranked teams), can help play into NCAA seeding, and may add a little extra fear for the opponent when they see that number by the names vs when they don’t. I know it’s less important to some but I just like us being ranked, makes me feel like we’re at least in the discussion with the top teams vs outside looking in. 

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Agree. I've never understood the idea of not wanting to be ranked?

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I've never understood the idea of not wanting to be ranked?

When we broke into the top 25 last year, Archie himself said Indiana is the type of program that should always be ranked.  

Archived