What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You mean Hey 14? 

Surprising 

Agree.  As much as I am a fan, I would not have IU as a top 25 team right now, let alone #14.

I think he's also a little overzealous on Butler. Purdue could very easily beat them tomorrow.  Butler has shown well early, but I'm not a believer yet.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  As much as I am a fan, I would not have IU as a top 25 team right now, let alone #14.

I think he's also a little overzealous on Butler. Purdue could very easily beat them tomorrow.  Butler has shown well early, but I'm not a believer yet.

Would you have UK in?  Hard th put 25 teams ahead of IU unless you are going off reputation.

12 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so again i will admit that i am not so sure we are a top 25 team, but i was just looking at SD St.  they haven't played a good team yet.  i would think if we played that schedule we'd likely be 11-0 as well.  are they legit?  asking for real because i know nothing about them, but i'm trying to figure out why they get credit with that schedule.  

Ummm, San Diego St. beat Creighton and Iowa on a neutral floor.  They also own a road win @BYU.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Nope, but Creighton is 9-2...their other loss was at Michigan.  The Jays have a win over Texas Tech.

i am just thinking that our wins over FSU and UConn would have to be just as good or better?  admittedly i don't take time to look into other rankings than the AP and coaches, so maybe not, but clearly FSU is better than either of their wins.  granted they don't have a loss.  i'd venture to say that SD St. wouldn't win @ Wisc, but i know that argument doesn't matter.  

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am just thinking that our wins over FSU and UConn would have to be just as good or better?  admittedly i don't take time to look into other rankings than the AP and coaches, so maybe not, but clearly FSU is better than either of their wins.  granted they don't have a loss.  i'd venture to say that SD St. wouldn't win @ Wisc, but i know that argument doesn't matter.  

Seems that it wasn't all that long ago that St. Mary's was in the final Top 25 poll...and didn't make the NCAAT.  It is still early for us to worry about it all that much.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Saw both Jeff Goodman and Seth Davis posted their updated top 25’s on twitter and neither had IU. Davis has Wichita St, Liberty, Fla St., UK, WVA. 

Goodman has Northern Iowa, 

This sport loves their Mid-Majors & Big name schools regardless of actual play.  Funny thing is IU could lose to all on your list as well as beat them single handily.  Gurus see this which is why they chose to stay away!  

5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

This sport loves their Mid-Majors & Big name schools regardless of actual play.  Funny thing is IU could lose to all on your list as well as beat them single handily.  Gurus see this which is why they chose to stay away!  

I think the things holding IU back, in terms of being ranked, are 1) the soft early schedule, which is more a narrative at this point than actual reality, 2) the bad (in terms of point differential) loss in our only road game to this point, and 3) just squeaking by some teams that you’d expect a ranked team to beat in an easier fashion (especially Nebraska at home). 

For the long term (making the tournament) a win is a win, you take them any way you can, but in terms of getting ranked and the national perception of this team, the issues are that while we’ve beaten UConn, Nebraska and ND, those are teams that if you’re a rising team that’s gelling, etc., you’d expect to win at least 1-2 of those going away, instead of in nail biter fashion. 

I like to have a number by our name, but according to the eye test and record aside, this doesn’t look like a top 25 team to me....yet. Maybe I’m being picky but I’m just not confident in their ability or consistency to win big yet. I feel like we have potential but I’m still waiting for some thing to click with these guys.

Or maybe I’m jaded from last season because so far this season seems eerily similar. Sure with no injuries that should mean we get into the tournament, but still, that means we’re more like a top 40 team. Hope I’m wrong. 

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I like to have a number by our name, but according to the eye test and record aside, this doesn’t look like a top 25 team to me....yet. Maybe I’m being picky but I’m just not confident in their ability or consistency to win big yet. I feel like we have potential but I’m still waiting for some thing to click with these guys.

Or maybe I’m jaded from last season because so far this season seems eerily similar. Sure with no injuries that should mean we get into the tournament, but still, that means we’re more like a top 40 team. Hope I’m wrong. 

Explain to me what a Top 25 is supposed to look like?  A team like Virginia?

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think you're pretty close to right. The only saving grace is, there's not nearly as much difference in the top 40 teams as usual.  I could make an argument that IU is 40th and I could make an argument for top 15.

At least I think they are finally better than Turdue and Kensucky. Question is, can they prove it at game time? 

In KenPom Iowa #20, BYU #35, and Creighton #47.

Polls/Rankings are just the opinions of coaches, sports reporters, or stat geeks.  Some are more informed than others.  All are based on a limited sample. But as many have pointed out here about now we begin to find out who is good and who is not.

i don't really think we pass the eye test for top 25 right now, but i still would like to see us there moreso than not.  still say losers mentality to "not care" if we're in the top 25.  i think if you took our wins and loss against some in the 20-25 range, we have a pretty decent argument to be right there though.  

Archived