Michigan Postgame Thread

KDB

Very disappointed with the second half and our lack of defensive execution.  I just did not understand the defensive scheme where we have safeties on the slot with them off 12 yards.  On passing downs why not being in more CB instead of having safeties going one on one with their WR.  This just shows that we need to upgrade the speed and athletic ability on both sides of the ball.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Very disappointed with the second half and our lack of defensive execution.  I just did not understand the defensive scheme where we have safeties on the slot with them off 12 yards.  On passing downs why not being in more CB instead of having safeties going one on one with their WR.  This just shows that we need to upgrade the speed and athletic ability on both sides of the ball.

We absolutely need more athletes.  All over the field on defense and at WR in particular.

Michigan has been playing some really good football. It sucks Indiana did not after the promising start. Good knowing this isn't playing any part in costing IU a bowl this year, but damn sure would have preferred to see the W.

Even if they beat Purdue and win the bowl, 9 wins just wouldn't feel as satisfying at this stage without a ranked win among them.. There won't even be 8 W's if they play the way they did for most of today..Oh well.On to the next.   BEAT PURDUE!!!! Getting back The BUCKET would help generate some momentum going into bowl practices. 

I feel this game showed why Penix was the QB choice to start the season. Ramsey is great for most games, but not for a game like this. He just couldn't make the dynamic play that I think Penix can make. Not saying Penix would have won this game. The defensive secondary was a big let down. But I think it would have been a closer game and we would have had a better chance with Penix. 

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Said it a few weeks ago. 

Ramsey is a nice backup, but we will not beat the upper echelon of the B1G without Penix 

That absolutely may be true but Peyton Ramsey has taken hits that would have put Mike out for his career. The target to his sternum in the Nebraska game and the hit today that made me think we were done for the season are examples.  I sure as hell hope that tough M-fer comes back for his senior season.

9 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

That absolutely may be true but Peyton Ramsey has taken hits that would have put Mike out for his career. The target to his sternum in the Nebraska game and the hit today that made me think we were done for the season are examples.  I sure as hell hope that tough M-fer comes back for his senior season.

I was very disappointed with the outcome today.

To your point, however, I refuse to EVER say anything critical about PR.  Compared to Penix he's an Ironman.  Penix may have the better arm but what's the difference if you can't stay on the field.  PR has taken some very big hits including today.  Personally, I think it affected his play for the rest of the game today but he is so tough he would never admit it.  We aren't in bowl running without PR.  

The D especially the front line and D backs just did not execute today.  Hope we recover and win back the Bucket next week and then the Bowl game to follow.  PR DESERVES those wins for what he has done for the team this year.  Just can't say enough  positive about the character he has shown this year.  I sure hope he comes back next year as well!

Forget about this one and come back prepared next week.  GO IU!

I believe IU is the better team and should bring the bucket back home to Bloomington.  There a lot of disappointed Hoosier fans (myself included) today but Michigan was playing lights out.  Gotta find a way to pressure the QB.  It seems the IU kicking game was unable to pin Michigan deep as has been the case much of the year.  However, I like the fact IU gave up trying to return the kickoffs; not much luck in that regard this season.

15 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I was very disappointed with the outcome today.

To your point, however, I refuse to EVER say anything critical about PR.  Compared to Penix he's an Ironman.  Penix may have the better arm but what's the difference if you can't stay on the field.  PR has taken some very big hits including today.  Personally, I think it affected his play for the rest of the game today but he is so tough he would never admit it.  We aren't in bowl running without PR.  

The D especially the front line and D backs just did not execute today.  Hope we recover and win back the Bucket next week and then the Bowl game to follow.  PR DESERVES those wins for what he has done for the team this year.  Just can't say enough  positive about the character he has shown this year.  I sure hope he comes back next year as well!

Forget about this one and come back prepared next week.  GO IU!

Amen - preach it brother! But, not sure I understand your "to your point, HOWEVER" and not saying anything critical about Peyton.....did I?

I am calmed down now after being utterly disappointed earlier.  Drank a few more beers and collected my thoughts.  Lots of blame to be passed around for sure and I ain't gonna point fingers at anyone.  It was a team loss.  But I will say one thing right now...Ohio St. better watch out for the Wolverines.  All I got.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I am calmed down now after being utterly disappointed earlier.  Drank a few more beers and collected my thoughts.  Lots of blame to be passed around for sure and I ain't gonna point fingers at anyone.  It was a team loss.  But I will say one thing right now...Ohio St. better watch out for the Wolverines.  All I got.

Going into the game, I was thinking the last few games for Michigan were a case of playing teams that were on downward spirals, but they showed today that they are probably the 2nd best team in the conference.  Definitely in the east.  They've looked way better than PSU has the last few weeks.  I was clearly wrong thinking they were just playing bad teams.  This Michigan team is really solid.

I don't think Patterson is that good under pressure, so I don't think he'll fare all that well next weekend though.  I still think OSU is one notch above them.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

This was kinda what I was afraid of with Penn St and Michigan back to back. Two of the most physical programs in the B1G and that just wears us out...causes injuries. Hope we are healthy for Purdue. Looks like we just got ground down by the end today.

This is the part of the Big 10 East the folks from the West don't understand. Agree on physicality of those 2 in back to back weeks. Just hoping we can get healthy for next week.

Disappointed in how we lost. Shows the difference between 7 win programs and 10 win programs. No shame in that....just shows how more room we have to grow. Really need to win next week. Ending the year losing 3 in a row would be tough headed into bowl season....but it's also been a real concern for most of us since October which is why getting the 7th win so early was important.

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Important to keep perspective. We've come a long way. We still have a long way to go. Doesn't mean we can't be proud of the progress. Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep looking forward.

Absolutely...9-4 sounds pretty dang good to me.

44 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Given that the previous four were 6-7, 6-7, 5-7, 5-7? Hell yes.

Should we finish 9-4, 10-3 would be a realistic goal for 2020.

You list the last four years. To put 8 or 9 wins in even more perspective...

1993 - the last time we won 8 games in a season.

1967 and 1945 are the ONLY two seasons we have won 9 games in a season.

In 2020 our season opener is at Wisconsin (yes, before the occ games). I love your optimism but I would call 10 wins in 2020 a “shock the entire universe” year rather than a realistic goal.

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

In 2020 our season opener is at Wisconsin (yes, before the occ games). I love your optimism but I would call 10 wins in 2020 a “shock the entire universe” year rather than a realistic goal.

No negativity about next year is allowed...LOL

Archived