Will Lovings-Watts (2022)

dgambill

On 6/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, btownqb said:

Pretty sure WLW will be, as well. 

Bummer...he used to walk past my house dribbling a basketball every day and I haven't seen him lately....I heard his uncle made him sit out the last semester last year so Jeff couldn't put a hold on him playing for South...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JcityHoosier said:

Bummer...he used to walk past my house dribbling a basketball every day and I haven't seen him lately....I heard his uncle made him sit out the last semester last year so Jeff couldn't put a hold on him playing for South...

Unless they're on trimesters, he played against BNL on 1/31. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some summer AAU video here.  IMO he is a little too raw to say he is a sure thing at the high major level.  Not saying he can't get there either.  Definitely has some things you can't teach like length and athleticism.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-wing-will-lovings-watts-summer-aau-highlights/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Some summer AAU video here.  IMO he is a little too raw to say he is a sure thing at the high major level.  Not saying he can't get there either.  Definitely has some things you can't teach like length and athleticism.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-wing-will-lovings-watts-summer-aau-highlights/

My thoughts were he isn’t as polished or talented as some of the other kids we’ve recruited or are on lately but I agree...he has extreme athleticism.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Thanks for sharing.  I saw WLW again this past weekend and he looked much better than what I saw a month ago.  He will be interesting to watch over the next year.

From videos I saw he looked really raw..I can see the upside but wondered if he can refine his game. Obviously haven’t seen anything in the past several months so glad to hear he is improving. Will make him an interesting watch. Still think he has a lot more to prove before he gets the offer.

• 7 months later...

The Woodson hire has apparently caught the attention of one of the top in-state recruits for 2022.

https://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/boys-basketball-lovings-watts-hoping-to-hear-from-woodson/article_554bc0ac-90f6-11eb-8b04-a71497b6083c.html

And, yes, coaching NBA all-stars is going to help.

Monday night Lovings Watts, who was born in 2003 (12 years after Woodson’s NBA playing career ended and one year before his coaching career began), admitted he didn’t know much about the new IU bench boss, other than the fact that he coached Carmelo Anthony during his time with the New York Knicks.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Woodson hire has apparently caught the attention of one of the top in-state recruits for 2022.

https://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/boys-basketball-lovings-watts-hoping-to-hear-from-woodson/article_554bc0ac-90f6-11eb-8b04-a71497b6083c.html

And, yes, coaching NBA all-stars is going to help.

Monday night Lovings Watts, who was born in 2003 (12 years after Woodson’s NBA playing career ended and one year before his coaching career began), admitted he didn’t know much about the new IU bench boss, other than the fact that he coached Carmelo Anthony during his time with the New York Knicks.

I’d add, you can’t last 8 seasons as a head coach and be hired by two different teams if you don’t know what you’re doing.  And the New York media is crazy.  They have a gazillion beat writers, columnists, etc.  They have a rabid fan base.  Yet, all we hear are positives from the NY media and fans.  That says that he was competent.  Bottom line, you’re not an NBA head man for eight years as a fluke.  It speaks to competence.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...