The Bucket Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

59 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean I think a lot of that this year revolves around the fact that this is the worst offensive line Brohm has had at Purdue. Even before the injuries, this was always going to be a pass heavy offense. Obviously it’s easier to run the ball in rainy conditions than throwing it. Going forward, I think it’ll get better since Brohm is still replenishing the offensive line depth that was left in shambles when he was hired. I think Brohm will always favor the pass but would like to have more of a balanced attack (like we saw last heR when we had a better line and two senior RB’s in Knox and Jones.) Just didn’t have the right personnel this year to be a good running team. 

Ok I wasn’t sure how much Brohm ever ran the ball and if it was ever effective or not 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Jones and Knox combined to rush for 1,420 yards last year and both averaged over 5 yards a carry. I think Brohm would love to have something like that moving forward. 

For 3 years, all we've heard about was how terrible Hazell was, yet he left Brohm with an NFL QB and a pair of RB who rushed for close to 1500 yards.  He also recruited the DT, LB, and QB you guys have complained so much about missing year.  Maybe you could bring him back in as an assistant?

Just giving you a hard time during Bucket Week :coffee:

21 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

For 3 years, all we've heard about was how terrible Hazell was, yet he left Brohm with an NFL QB and a pair of RB who rushed for close to 1500 yards.  He also recruited the DT, LB, and QB you guys have complained so much about missing year.  Maybe you could bring him back in as an assistant?

Oh he left some talented players no doubt. The issue was the significant number of players who weren’t B1G quality guys. Only a handful of upperclassmen are still on the roster from the Hazell era. The depth was atrocious. But some solid individual players. Just not nearly enough of them. 

46 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

A collection of Ferarris is kind of pointless if you don’t know how to drive.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, The Daily Hoosier said:
"It's huge for our program."
IU is either going to finish the regular season on a 3 game losing streak, or accomplish things the program hasn't seen in decades.

a loss nearly cancels out all of the good accomplished the entire season. a bowl loss finishes it.  a loss ad a bowl win over a team with some cache and we salvage it. such a big game

8 hours ago, slojoe said:

I agree the Saturday before Thanksgiving week would be best.

how is this idea getting any traction? the weekend before thanksgiving, the kids who are leaving will be just as gone. and how many students do you think are actually in the seats, especially in the second half? rivalry games have been played the weekend after thanksgiving from coast to coast forever. i watch games all day saturday with packed stadiums. if purdue was 7-4 like we are, i'd wager ross-ade would be near full and riotous. aside from dedicated/demented fans like those of us who waste too much time here, most folks in indiana could not care less about our football team. it's not incumbent upon the students to change that. ins short, our football fans suck

On 11/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, Leathernecks said:

Yeah, I think Bell would still get some decent gains due to his skill and the volume of passes he gets, but I think Mullen could at least break up a few passes and maybe shut down a drive or two.

yeah, we really missed out when we whiffed on bell. watched him a bunch this season and he's the real deal

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. Cannot overstate how much losing Rondale has impacted our team. Crazy to think he has missed enough time to be able to take a redshirt. 

and i can't understate how scared i am of moore and bell playing together is next year

I know a few of us, myself especially, have talked about how excited we are to see Da'shaun Brown.  Allen mentioned that he might see some time tomorrow.  He was a QB in high school, and it took him a while to transition to WR.  He was also late coming in due to eligibility issues.  I can't wait to see what he can do.  He's got that Whop/Ellis elusiveness, and there's a chance he could be even more elusive.  He was the #1 recruit in Wisconsin at one point, and his highlight videos looked like he could be a game changer with the ball in his hands.  Maybe not tomorrow, but some day for sure.

https://www.pharostribune.com/indiana/sports/article_49440a2c-b94a-5162-80ec-486e567593a4.html

10 hours ago, coachv said:

a loss nearly cancels out all of the good accomplished the entire season. a bowl loss finishes it.  a loss ad a bowl win over a team with some cache and we salvage it. such a big game

IU's depth is still limited enough to only weather so many hits against contenders without getting a near career day out of any of their top weapons.

This wasn't about the number of injuriea as much as the key guys who are the most difficult matchups IU is able to present to opponents being unavailable or too limited. 

They lost explosiveness on offense, and a defense that needed all of the rest it could get  lost the luxury that helped it to late wins against teams more similar talent wise. 

Needless penalties bailing opponents out on would be stops and getting out of position or beat deep too many times- even when most opponents failed to recognize it and keep attacking like the Wolverines did.Credit them for recognizing what they could exploit.The Wolverine ground game didn't compound the issues, fortunately. We've saw how many UM games end in surrendering 40+ lately? That was close but even with THAT disaster 2md half , not quite. Not sure how much of that was Indiana and how much was Michigan not needing to rely on running it, in fairness.

With that honesty aside this is still a winning season and a step forward.

Do you really think Indiana fizzles if MP plays all season,  adding the kind of constant threat that changes how opponents have to play defense?  Can we really sit and say he would not have built on his near unstoppable effort against Michigan State had there been any normal week to week continuity to his season?

Not I and that is the difference .We all knew how huge losing MP was despite the fact Ramsey had mostly played out of his mind impressive going into Michigan week. Penix makes teams dedicate a defender to his every move. He would have done no leas against the teams he didn't face as far as affecting game plans goes. Ramsey merely requires keeping a man nearby at the LOS who can recover if he scrambles.PR did manage to pick up a couple first downs, but nothing got away from them and nothing was really going to unless it was Whop or Scott whose injuries just happened to have unfortunate timing for the team.That essentially tied the hands of the 3 most explosive Hoosier players and they had already been impressive without their best O Line player.Who would have thought they woukd respond the way they had to losing EITHER of Penix or Cronk.Best part is all 3 have a chance to return .How can that possibly be lost even in disappointment.

Other thing is that at some point they clearly did enough to have swayed your expectations of them upward or you would not sound so disappointed in how this stretch has been .

Fortunately hope and disappointment can co-exist in the same space at the same time.

MP with a canon and the mobility is game changing and it really sucks we didn't get to see him against the 3 best opponents IU has faced to date. 

The team has still appeared in the Top 25, and locked up a winning record. We will have still got to watch them at the end of the calendar year, and they get 30-ish extra practices to work on some of these things that undid them and give new faces a chance to show what they might have picked up from watching if they also lay an egg today. Not even Purdue can take that away this year.

IU 38 Purdue 28

Don't care how.. just get the win. I won't be in the optics department today. Rivalry road games for most programs are hard let alone one like ours. 8-4 and hitting the recruiting trail will sound so much better. This season will be a big move forward regardless but yes we want to finish with a win.

In terms of the game. Same things for me. Avoid giving them easy points/short field because of turnovers and play 60 minutes unlike last week vs Michigan.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't care how.. just get the win. I won't be in the optics department today. Rivalry road games for most programs are hard let alone one like ours. 8-4 and hitting the recruiting trail will sound so much better. This season will be a big move forward regardless but yes we want to finish with a win.

In terms of the game. Same things for me. Avoid giving them easy points/short field because of turnovers and play 60 minutes unlike last week vs Michigan.

Same. 7-0 is the same as 47-0 or 47-46. Bring the bucket back to B-town and that's all that matters.

The last time we had 8 wins was 1993. Think about that. In fact, going back to 1960, know how many times we've won 8 or more games? 5. That's how monumental this step is. It can be a confident stomp or an unbalanced stumble, but just take the step.

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Same. 7-0 is the same as 47-0 or 47-46. Bring the bucket back to B-town and that's all that matters.

The last time we had 8 wins was 1993. Think about that. In fact, going back to 1960, know how many times we've won 8 or more games? 5. That's how monumental this step is. It can be a confident stomp or an unbalanced stumble, but just take the step.

6 out of 8 years making bowls from 86 to 93 and haven't been to this point since. Big picture this is a step forward season but could be really big if we win today and somehow win bowl game considering the last time we would have accomplished that Purdue's most notable alumni was a couple years away from walking on the moon.

Just get the win. All I ask. Please. Haha

7 points definitely feels like too generous of a spread. Hoping Scott goes given the weather conditions and Purdue's porous run D. Key to this game is controlling the ground game on both sides - something that season stats would indicate we should. However, if no Scott, our RBs are extremely unproven. Then limit turnovers and penalties. No dumb penalties that ruin opportunities!

Now, if we find a way to get some pressure on the QB, then we could really be rolling. But I'm not getting my hopes up for anything  there between their passing approach and our inability to muster a consistent pass rush this year. 

Archived