Vinny Sciury Recommits to Toledo

DC2345

He's planning on enrolling in January.  I have said multiple times, if we're going to take guys who aren't rated real high, I like them being offensive linemen with good size.  Saw somewhere that he really plays with an edge to him.  Named his team captain in high school.

I like that we're bringing in a lot of guys with size to compete on the offensive line.  I'm sure some of them will never be heard from again, but some of them should turn into quality linemen.

I knew we had a handful committed, but I didn't realize how many offensive linemen we have coming in.  Wiginton, Feeney (big fan of him), Smith, Sciury, and Knight.  Knight is listed as the smallest of them at 6'3" and 275 pounds.  Throw in the 4 OL in last year's class, and I really like how our line is setting up for the future.

17 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

He's planning on enrolling in January.  I have said multiple times, if we're going to take guys who aren't rated real high, I like them being offensive linemen with good size.  Saw somewhere that he really plays with an edge to him.  Named his team captain in high school.

I like that we're bringing in a lot of guys with size to compete on the offensive line.  I'm sure some of them will never be heard from again, but some of them should turn into quality linemen.

I knew we had a handful committed, but I didn't realize how many offensive linemen we have coming in.  Wiginton, Feeney (big fan of him), Smith, Sciury, and Knight.  Knight is listed as the smallest of them at 6'3" and 275 pounds.  Throw in the 4 OL in last year's class, and I really like how our line is setting up for the future.

Question for you.  However, I don’t want this to come across as I’m not giving these kids a chance.  I also want you to know that I don’t care at all about stars.  I do look at a player’s offer list however.  I also happen to watch one of our OL commits every week.  So with that out of the way, if I said I’m not impressed w our current OL group and that I see Bill Lynch type kids....kids w MAC offers and not power 5 offers.  MAC kids typically have good size too.  Heck, I coached a kid once who had Big Ten size but he went to UIndy and another went to Southern Illinois.  So size, while important, isn’t that big an issue.  I didn’t want this question to come off as negative but I wanted to ask you how you would respond.  Is that a fair question while trying to avoid this being perceived as too negative?

3 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Question for you.  However, I don’t want this to come across as I’m not giving these kids a chance.  I also want you to know that I don’t care at all about stars.  I do look at a player’s offer list however.  I also happen to watch one of our OL commits every week.  So with that out of the way, if I said I’m not impressed w our current OL group and that I see Bill Lynch type kids....kids w MAC offers and not power 5 offers.  MAC kids typically have good size too.  Heck, I coached a kid once who had Big Ten size but he went to UIndy and another went to Southern Illinois.  So size, while important, isn’t that big an issue.  I didn’t want this question to come off as negative but I wanted to ask you how you would respond.  Is that a fair question while trying to avoid this being perceived as too negative?

If it was other positions, I would be more worried about it, but there are countless underrated OL prospects all across the country.  I have been underwhelmed with the stars and offers of a lot of the guys we've gotten in this class, but I think Allen and staff have done a really good job of not caring about that and identifying talent on their own instead.  They've done a good job at finding kids that slip through the cracks.  Ellis only had offers from MAC level schools, but Allen and company identified him as someone they really wanted.  McFadden was really low rated, Scott was committed to Rutgers as a LB, Miles Marshall is getting time as a RS Fr, and he had MAC level offers.  As far as OL in general, Dan Feeney was not a highly sought after guy.  Same with Spriggs and Wes Martin.  Rodger Saffold only had low ranking P5 offers.  Underrated OL are all over the place.

Like you said, size is far from the only thing that goes into it, but it is a key requirement they need to have.  Wisconsin and Iowa are always thrown at as examples, but those schools for years feasted on identifying and growing underrated linemen.  I like that we are bringing in a lot of guys to increase our odds.  I'd of course love to bring in more guys like Bedford who were heavily sought after, but with the 9 guys we have brought in between last year and this year, I really like our odds of getting 3 or 4 starting linemen by the time they're upperclassmen.  Throw in a couple more as backups, and undoubtedly, at least a few of them will not amount to much here.  The numbers should help increase competition too.  I also think Feeney is a real find and will be a real steal for us.

Long story short, I mostly like the shear numbers, as well as Allen's ability to identify underrated talent.  Odds are that there's got to be some decent guys come out of these 2 classes.

16 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

If it was other positions, I would be more worried about it, but there are countless underrated OL prospects all across the country.  I have been underwhelmed with the stars and offers of a lot of the guys we've gotten in this class, but I think Allen and staff have done a really good job of not caring about that and identifying talent on their own instead.  They've done a good job at finding kids that slip through the cracks.  Ellis only had offers from MAC level schools, but Allen and company identified him as someone they really wanted.  McFadden was really low rated, Scott was committed to Rutgers as a LB, Miles Marshall is getting time as a RS Fr, and he had MAC level offers.  As far as OL in general, Dan Feeney was not a highly sought after guy.  Same with Spriggs and Wes Martin.  Rodger Saffold only had low ranking P5 offers.  Underrated OL are all over the place.

Like you said, size is far from the only thing that goes into it, but it is a key requirement they need to have.  Wisconsin and Iowa are always thrown at as examples, but those schools for years feasted on identifying and growing underrated linemen.  I like that we are bringing in a lot of guys to increase our odds.  I'd of course love to bring in more guys like Bedford who were heavily sought after, but with the 9 guys we have brought in between last year and this year, I really like our odds of getting 3 or 4 starting linemen by the time they're upperclassmen.  Throw in a couple more as backups, and undoubtedly, at least a few of them will not amount to much here.  The numbers should help increase competition too.  I also think Feeney is a real find and will be a real steal for us.

Long story short, I mostly like the shear numbers, as well as Allen's ability to identify underrated talent.  Odds are that there's got to be some decent guys come out of these 2 classes.

Very fair response.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • KDB changed the title to Vinny Sciury Recommits to Toledo
17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Anyone think IU has a better OL that they think they might lock up on signing day?

Magnuson, Atcavage, Holtz, and Haggard would be my guesses.  With Sciury leaving, I'm guessing we'll look to get 2 of those 4.  Would not be surprised at all if we were the ones that made this decision to part ways.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Magnuson, Atcavage, Holtz, and Haggard would be my guesses.  With Sciury leaving, I'm guessing we'll look to get 2 of those 4.  Would not be surprised at all if we were the ones that made this decision to part ways.

Very likely that IU saw better options and that's a good thing. Signing day should be fun. 

Archived