Jerome Hunter/Damezi Anderson

IUFLA

i have a hard time with people saying Hunter needs to shake the rust off.  this is his first year of college basketball.  we don't really know how good he'll be at this level.  maybe what we're seeing is what we'll get?  i hope not, but it's not like he was playing high level at the college level and just needs to get back to that.  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have a hard time with people saying Hunter needs to shake the rust off.  this is his first year of college basketball.  we don't really know how good he'll be at this level.  maybe what we're seeing is what we'll get?  i hope not, but it's not like he was playing high level at the college level and just needs to get back to that.  

I think most of us are basing our perception of him not on what we’ve seen nor what he was ranked coming out of HS but rather the info and comments made by CAM and others about his ability at practice everyday while at IU last year before his injury. The comments are beyond flattering.

I think last night's minutes at the 3 through 5 show Archie's thinking. TJD and Smith are going to get all of the minutes they can handle, so 30 a night if they can stay out of foul trouble. That leaves 60 minutes at those positions. My guess is Brunk averages 20 from here on out. From there it's a guessing game. Damezei seems comfortable shooting from 3: I think his role will be to do just that. I'm a little more encouraged than I was a month ago, but I'm still left thinking that we absolutely need Hunter to be a scorer: I don't see where the points come from if he's not. 

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Right now these two are still question marks as far as whether either can make an impact for us this year.  They haven't shown much in "cupcake" month.  I doubt they will have much impact the rest of the year.

This is fair - but it’s still early. CAM saying he needs to find them more minutes is at least encouraging. He does, and really, he already should have 

On 11/29/2019 at 10:24 PM, 5fouls said:

A word of advice from a non-mod.  We have a damn good site here, but realize it may not be for everyone.  Some posters do find  greener pastures elsewhere.  Others choose to stay.

Your style of posting does not seem to be a good fit here.  Doesn't make us right and you wrong.  What it does mean is that if you want to stay and actually enjoy the board, it will be easier for you to adjust your style than it would be for 500 of us to adjust ours.

Conflicting opinions are welcome.  It's the way that those opinions are presented that leads to problems.  If you want to stay, I encourage you to study the style of some of the more respected posters, many of whom have opinions that are critical of IU or different than the opinions of the mods.

Not suggesting you leave, but I personally want this board to retain the civility that sets it apart from others.  And, we actually get to talk IU hoops for free!

why don't you show me one example of where i was out of line on something i posted. just one. you won;t do it because you won't find one. if you are trying to be like the others who live on this site that wish to drag me into their melodrama, leave me out of it. i  am only interested in discussing iu sports with a few intelligent/knowledgeable fans. i am weeding out the drama queens, the angry, and the just plain stupid. please put me on ignore as i will with you

On 11/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Listen, I and the other mods have cut you a lot of slack. Your basketball knowledge is about as lacking as I have seen, you come onto our board and irritate half the people here. Not happy? You are free to leave. On the subject of playing the 3, it’s clear you have no understanding of the position, 

you never answered my question. how many paychecks have you cashed coaching basketball?

3 hours ago, coachv said:

why don't you show me one example of where i was out of line on something i posted. just one. you won;t do it because you won't find one. if you are trying to be like the others who live on this site that wish to drag me into their melodrama, leave me out of it. i  am only interested in discussing iu sports with a few intelligent/knowledgeable fans. i am weeding out the drama queens, the angry, and the just plain stupid. please put me on ignore as i will with you

He didn't say you were out of line. He said your style, meaning methods of communication and expression, don't mesh well with the majority of posters here. A perfect example:

3 hours ago, coachv said:

you never answered my question. how many paychecks have you cashed coaching basketball?

What difference does that make? You can only be a knowledgeable fan if you've previously been a coach? Even if that were true (which it isn't), coaches disagree on elements of the game all the time. If two formerly paid coaches disagree....then who is right?

On 12/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

Think back to Damezi at this point last year. Now look at him this year.

Hunter has as much experience as Damezi did at that point last year.

Now, picture where he might be in a year.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would agree that Damezi looks better.  still don't like him on the floor much.  Hunter was awful.  

Hunter's timing -- his feel for college game speed -- and his confidence is not there yet. Saying he was "awful," imo, is just harsh. That he has exceptional talent / ability to score / playmake from the wing really should be obvious. There's a reason guys like Morgan and Romeo pointed to him as the guy who really stands out. But he's not there yet, that's also obvious. It doesn't make him awful. He's coming off a year of serious medical issues and not being able to play. His skill level is still there. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hunter's timing -- his feel for college game speed -- and his confidence is not there yet. Saying he was "awful," imo, is just harsh. That he has exceptional talent / ability to score / playmake from the wing really should be obvious. There's a reason guys like Morgan and Romeo pointed to him as the guy who really stands out. But he's not there yet, that's also obvious. It doesn't make him awful. He's coming off a year of serious medical issues and not being able to play. His skill level is still there. 

true true.  too harsh.  i thought he looked awful last night.  he may not be awful.  i'm sure he has potential, but i don't want to see him in during important stretches in big games.  

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

true true.  too harsh.  i thought he looked awful last night.  he may not be awful.  i'm sure he has potential, but i don't want to see him in during important stretches in big games.  

Yet.

I'm pretty confident you'll eat those words eventually. 

51 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I thought Damezi was really good on the defensive end of the floor last night.

Mezi was a beast on D last night.  It’s starting to click for him.  Sure he will have some let down games but he’s still just an early sophomore who would’ve redshirted last year under normal circumstances.

23 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Mezi was a beast on D last night.  It’s starting to click for him.  Sure he will have some let down games but he’s still just an early sophomore who would’ve redshirted last year under normal circumstances.

You could see his confidence rise each time he had a successful play on defense or offense. So much so I think Anderson was a different player from the start of the game to the end of the game.

The 3 he hit towards the end of the game was the most confident I’ve seen him.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thanks for this.  I don't believe folks have any understanding of just how serious Hunter's medical issues were/are.  Patience is a virtue, guys.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man i hope so!

Me too, man.  I think it will happen.

Hey, Nojel Eastern is a junior at Purdue, shooting 39.4% from the field, hasn't made a 3 since he was a freshman and 0-6 from the line this year (with an airball!) and Purdue fans still think he's got a future in the NBA.  I think Hunter is going to be a LOT better than Eastern and his mom doesn't get on this forum to argue with fans about how good he is (which I think has screwed with Eastern mentally).  I liked the earlier comparison of Damezi from his freshman to his soph year, although I think you'll see Hunter shine THIS season. 

Just a matter of time and getting used to the flow for him.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

One of THE most enjoyable things to me as an Indiana Basketball fan is watching the growth of "young/promising" players from year one to year two, three, & four. Of course I love winning and impact stud freshman, but witnessing the development of young players, who through hard work and perseverance, use adversity and challenges to make themselves better as upperclassmen. I find so much joy in seeing the players put the pieces together to make their games more complete. It's what brings me back year after year, and gets me excited for the future.

I have a laundry list of former players who fit this mold for me, but a few who stand out are Coverdale, Newton, Wilmont, Oladipo & Howard. It was awesome to see how much they got better as they progressed through the program.

56 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

One of THE most enjoyable things to me as an Indiana Basketball fan is watching the growth of "young/promising" players from year one to year two, three, & four. Of course I love winning and impact stud freshman, but witnessing the development of young players, who through hard work and perseverance, use adversity and challenges to make themselves better as upperclassmen. I find so much joy in seeing the players put the pieces together to make their games more complete. It's what brings me back year after year, and gets me excited for the future.

I have a laundry list of former players who fit this mold for me, but a few who stand out are Coverdale, Newton, Wilmont, Oladipo & Howard. It was awesome to see how much they got better as they progressed through the program.

Especially a guy like Anderson. He's got a freshmen ranked around where he was, if not lower, starting ahead of him, he's splitting time with Hunter, and he's got 3 wings coming in next year. After not playing a ton of minutes in a few of the cupcake games, he could have easily hopped into the transfer portal, or even done that during the offseason. But, he's stuck with it and it's beginning to pay off. 

I see Demezi as a guy, with that type of stroke, as a time bomb waiting for a 5, 6, or 7 threes type of night.  At the Kohl center Saturday would be great timing to pop.  Sick and tired of some dorky walk on lighting us up.  That crap stops now.  

The best is still yet to come for Demezi, Hunter, and even Davis.  They will shine in moments eventually.  

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I see Demezi as a guy, with that type of stroke, as a time bomb waiting for a 5, 6, or 7 threes type of night.  At the Kohl center Saturday would be great timing to pop.  Sick and tired of some dorky walk on lighting us up.  That crap stops now.  

The best is still yet to come for Demezi, Hunter, and even Davis.  They will shine in moments eventually.  

In the post game, CAM commented how Damezi is a really good shooter and shoots really well in practice. He noted how big that 3 was. Damezi's high school coach described him as a natural shooter (although a bit unorthodox). I agree that the more he is just playing and not thinking, he could really be a weapon. CAM also observed how physical he was last night.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hey, Nojel Eastern is a junior at Purdue, shooting 39.4% from the field, hasn't made a 3 since he was a freshman and 0-6 from the line this year (with an airball!) and Purdue fans still think he's got a future in the NBA.  I think Hunter is going to be a LOT better than Eastern and his mom doesn't get on this forum to argue with fans about how good he is (which I think has screwed with Eastern mentally). 

According to GBI, Robbie Hummel was on Dakich's show today and Dakich took a shot at Eastern. Said that he spoke with Eastern at B1G media day and that Eastern was the most immature person he'd met or something to that effect. Apparently Hummel was classy and didn't take the bait. Good to see DD stirring the pot someplace other than IU, but he seems to really like to go after players or teams that are struggling.

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

According to GBI, Robbie Hummel was on Dakich's show today and Dakich took a shot at Eastern. Said that he spoke with Eastern at B1G media day and that Eastern was the most immature person he'd met or something to that effect. Apparently Hummel was classy and didn't take the bait. Good to see DD stirring the pot someplace other than IU, but he seems to really like to go after players or teams that are struggling.

Maybe Eastern is immature, which could easily be blamed on his mama coddling him and telling him he was going to play in the NBA, but no reason other than ratings for Dan to take such a cheap public shot at a kid like that.  I think Dakich is one of the most immature people he's met, frankly.  Good for Robbie...I rooted against him at Purdue but it's easy to see he's both classy and intelligent about basketball.  Dakich could learn a lot from him.

Archived