Jalen Hooks - 2023

cybergates

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

My nephew is his teammate. Showed me some stuff last night on Hooks - that isn't out for public viewing of him in game and practices 

What kind of info would you want cybergates?

Here is what I've gathered since I couldn't stop watching his reels. Dude is a stud.

Lean but a wiry strong kid.More B1G ready body than many a past IU recruit was going into college as of his 8th grade year.. IDEAL frame for more weight as he grows but he doesn't need much to go with the big boys as is.

.Physical on the interior but also able to fit such a broad skillset  into a finesse scheme. Eyes are usually up typical of kids who play above the rim most of the time.Decent overall awarenss on both ends, and will makw blue collar plays along with the highlight reel stuff.Killer in transition.Killer.

Good handle for his size.Will throw it down your neck if he is given any space and sometimes when trying not to.Best way to contain is get nto him early and often and draw fouls..Being in the right spot might be the only way to contain him at some point on his current trajectory.Justin Smith - athletic with natural  killer instinct.Solid comparison there physically but Hooks looks stronger now than Smith did as a Freshman at IU..

He could still learn a few more post.moves. 

Sneaky off ball movement on offense , and ability to recover to make a play on or off the ball defensively -  even if he doesn't get the first step. Versatile etc etc.

Solid shooter as of what I viewed, but that could use some work .JMO.Athletic enough to do whatever he works towards improving. The impressive thing to me is a lot of his opponents know what's coming but not much they can do about it.

Protects the rim with enthusiam.As in pins shots to backboards with one hand and pulls them down enthusiasm.Very stingy at the rim .Can't emphasize that enough on all I have saw.Not a kid who merely wants to block a shot.He wants to beat that s*** up!

Not saying Hooks will, but as a player he LOOKS capable of reclassifying a year early if there.were to ever be a scenario where he finished high school requirements for college early, and really wanted to get a jumpstart. 

The only things that can stop kids with his talent are poor decisions or attitudes.I didn't get that far on my curiosity since it got late.Not sure if he takes plays off or other ill habits since I was Hook-ed on the obbious .Lol 

Not sure who all is in contact .Will let you know .I'll ask my nephew more  today at dinner.

Thanks for the great information. I’d be curious who his favorite team is and if he is an Indiana fan at all. If not unless we do something these next couple of years we have no chance because with kids going pro the dukes and Kentucky’s will be going hard after him

23 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

My nephew is his teammate. Showed me some stuff last night on Hooks - that isn't out for public viewing of him in game and practices 

Here is what I've gathered since I couldn't stop watching his reels. Dude is a stud.

Lean but a wiry strong kid.More B1G ready body than many a past IU recruit was going into college as of his 8th grade year.. IDEAL frame for more weight as he grows but he doesn't need much to go with the big boys as is.

.Physical on the interior but also able to fit such a broad skillset  into a finesse scheme. Eyes are usually up typical of kids who play above the rim most of the time.Decent overall awarenss on both ends, and will makw blue collar plays along with the highlight reel stuff.Killer in transition.Killer.

Good handle for his size.Will throw it down your neck if he is given any space and sometimes when trying not to.Best way to contain is get nto him early and often and draw fouls..Being in the right spot might be the only way to contain him at some point on his current trajectory.Justin Smith - athletic with natural  killer instinct.Solid comparison there physically but Hooks looks stronger now than Smith did as a Freshman at IU..

Sneaky off ball movement on offense , and ability to recover to make a play on or off the ball defensively -  even if he doesn't get the first step. Versatile etc etc.

Solid shooter as of what I viewed, but that could use some work .JMO.Athletic enough to do whatever he works towards improving. The impressive thing to me is a lot of his opponents know what's coming but not much they can do about it.

Protects the rim with enthusiam.As in pins shots to backboards with one hand and pulls them down enthusiasm.Very stingy at the rim .Can't emphasize that enough on all I have saw.Not a kid who merely wants to block a shot.He wants to beat that s*** up!

Not saying Hooks will, but as a player he LOOKS capable of reclassifying a year early if there.were to ever be a scenario where he finished high school requirements for college early, and really wanted to get a jumpstart. 

The only things that can stop kids with his talent are poor decisions or attitudes.I didn't get that far on my curiosity since it got late.Not sure if he takes plays off or other ill habits since I was Hook-ed on the obbious .Lol 

Not sure who all is in contact .Will let you know .I'll ask my nephew more  today at dinner.

Thanks. Any info is great and you provided a great amount! I too would like to know what his thoughts are about IU and his favorite team(s)  

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, jblaz13 said:

@jblaz13 any updates?! Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Thanks for sharing.  6-6 incoming sophomore with the body of a high school senior.  Talks to Archie regularly and plenty of IU connections.  Seems like a clear top-100 talent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Thanks for sharing.  6-6 incoming sophomore with the body of a high school senior.  Talks to Archie regularly and plenty of IU connections.  Seems like a clear top-100 talent.

Certainly sounds very good from your article. 

I'm curious, is he old for his class or just an early bloomer?

On 7/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, dgambill said:

@jblaz13 any updates you had a ton of good info earlier. Would love to know more about this kid.

I sure wish there was right now!

With the social distancing under the current circumstances, not looking like it will be as soon as I thought it might at the time of that post late last year.

Before all of the pandemic related changes, I'd originally planned to go to a few FC games after winter break. Admittedly, I took the "old normal" for granted and had put off attending. 

• Thanks 1

Although I know Coach (Criss) Beyers, we don't keep in touch. 

His is likely the most reliable currently up- to- date insight anyone could have on Jalen Hooks right now if I had to take a guess. My younger relative raves constantly when the subject of his friend/ teammate comes up but Beyers would have the strengths vs weaknesses context sorted out better.

I leave the more publicly visible and well known acquaintances alone -  to a fault- so I probably wont be asking him personally.lol

Edited by jblaz13

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, cybergates said:

He's a good athlete and very impressive physically.  If his skills catch up over the next three years of high school he will be able to go wherever he wants.

17 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He's a good athlete and very impressive physically.  If his skills catch up over the next three years of high school he will be able to go wherever he wants.

Agree. In the video in your article he looks like a college freshman (or older) physically. I always wondered how scouts/evaluators approach someone like that playing against athletically inferior opponents because inevitably they will eventually play against equal/superior ones.

17 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Agree. In the video in your article he looks like a college freshman (or older) physically. I always wondered how scouts/evaluators approach someone like that playing against athletically inferior opponents because inevitably they will eventually play against equal/superior ones.

He played up two grades at times this summer which no doubt gave folks a better sense for where he is.  He still didn't look out of place physically playing up two levels.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...