Jalen Hooks - 2023

cybergates

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier from a couple of weeks ago...(with video link to highlights)

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-iu-basketball-recruiting-prospects-tayshawn-comer-2022-and-jalen-hooks-2023-battle-for-city-title/

From the highlights, does anyone know who is currently recruiting Jaxon Edwards? Looks like an under the radar sleeper to take a "flyer" on (pun intended).

Edited by cybergates

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, jblaz13 said:

My nephew is his teammate. Showed me some stuff last night on Hooks - that isn't out for public viewing of him in game and practices 

What kind of info would you want cybergates?

Here is what I've gathered since I couldn't stop watching his reels. Dude is a stud.

Lean but a wiry strong kid.More B1G ready body than many a past IU recruit was going into college as of his 8th grade year.. IDEAL frame for more weight as he grows but he doesn't need much to go with the big boys as is.

.Physical on the interior but also able to fit such a broad skillset  into a finesse scheme. Eyes are usually up typical of kids who play above the rim most of the time.Decent overall awarenss on both ends, and will makw blue collar plays along with the highlight reel stuff.Killer in transition.Killer.

Good handle for his size.Will throw it down your neck if he is given any space and sometimes when trying not to.Best way to contain is get nto him early and often and draw fouls..Being in the right spot might be the only way to contain him at some point on his current trajectory.Justin Smith - athletic with natural  killer instinct.Solid comparison there physically but Hooks looks stronger now than Smith did as a Freshman at IU..

He could still learn a few more post.moves. 

Sneaky off ball movement on offense , and ability to recover to make a play on or off the ball defensively -  even if he doesn't get the first step. Versatile etc etc.

Solid shooter as of what I viewed, but that could use some work .JMO.Athletic enough to do whatever he works towards improving. The impressive thing to me is a lot of his opponents know what's coming but not much they can do about it.

Protects the rim with enthusiam.As in pins shots to backboards with one hand and pulls them down enthusiasm.Very stingy at the rim .Can't emphasize that enough on all I have saw.Not a kid who merely wants to block a shot.He wants to beat that s*** up!

Not saying Hooks will, but as a player he LOOKS capable of reclassifying a year early if there.were to ever be a scenario where he finished high school requirements for college early, and really wanted to get a jumpstart. 

The only things that can stop kids with his talent are poor decisions or attitudes.I didn't get that far on my curiosity since it got late.Not sure if he takes plays off or other ill habits since I was Hook-ed on the obbious .Lol 

Not sure who all is in contact .Will let you know .I'll ask my nephew more  today at dinner.

If you would be so kind as to give an update on Hooks when you get a chance?

Doesn't look like previous staff offered, wonder if new staff is interested. Hope so.

247 profile. They have him ranked 55th, but he's not on their composite which only goes to 36th at this time. https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Hooks-46104056/

Rankings for 2023 seem like a cluster in general. I mean there was no grassroots last year. National guys can’t make trip to see all high school games. I’d expect the accuracy of the rankings to change drastically over the next year solely due to increased exposure rather than talent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 9:46 AM, ba43056 said:

I think with his family relationships with IU he should be ours to lose. His length and the sense of urgency to his game make him my favorite of the class. He and Glenn together would be exciting. 

For those that don't know (like me) what are the family relationships w/ IU you speak of? 

On 7/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, cybergates said:

For those that don't know (like me) what are the family relationships w/ IU you speak of? 

The Indianapolis product’s connections to IU run deep. Most of Hooks’ family went to IU including his sister that recently graduated.  In a conversation with The Daily Hoosier last summer Hooks said he is good friends with Trayce Jackson-Davis and others in the program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just an update. Not sure where things stand on our end with him but he's going to academy in California that is backed by Kanye West. 

I would think that would eliminate us from pursuing him. If we haven't offered while he's in IN, then I don't see us offering once he's in CA.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ba43056 said:

I think the family ties to the university and his relationship with TJD keep us in it. There could always be info we don't though. 

It doesn't appear that IU wants to be "in it" at this time. They haven't even offered him and moving him to California probably makes it less likely that happens.

• Like 1