IU vs South Dakota State Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

They have overflow channels for football why not basketball or let people who already have BTN through a provider utilize the BTN app (like on Roku) to watch it.

I have been thinking that for years.  One would think the network would generate more revenue off of ads, than what they make off of people who sign up to watch a couple of games or more, and then cancel.

7 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Mitchell, South Dakota is home to the Corn Palace. They actually play a pretty big high school basketball tournament there. Trendon Watford's team played in it last year. 

I've been to Sioux Falls many times, and the actual falls are quite impressive.  Many people from down here go to South Dakota for bird hunting.  The airport has a huge hunter orange sign in the fall that's says "hunters welcome" during the season. 

Go Hoosiers!

Saw the Corn Palace when I traveled through to the Black Hills, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, etc. They redecorate the exterior every year with different types of grain. I concluded there isn't a lot to do in Mitchell, SD. It is beautiful country though. As soon as you cross the Missouri River going west, it feels like you entered an old western movie.

1424185582_MitchellCornPalace2.thumb.JPG.52981eff4bf9bbe5498294b75a639b55.JPG

6 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

I hate BTN+

I don’t actually hate BTN+. I don’t like that I would have to pay for another month to just watch this game.  I signed up for BTN+ on the day of the exhibition game, 10/29/19, and this game is on 11/30/19.

I agree that it would be nice to get all their content with the DirecTV login, there is a lot of content on BTN+. What bothers me the most is that all of the non revenue sports are there and many of the families of IU athletes have to pay for BTN+ just to get to see their kids play.

How quickly we all get spoiled. It wasn’t that long ago that I would have happily paid $10/month to get all the non televised games. I knew people who had the big dishes installed in their back yards so they could get IU games, hell, Mark Cuban started Broadcast.com just to be able to LISTEN to IU games. 

On the subject of BTN+, I just flat out refuse to pay the network on principle alone. Sure, it's a measly $10 and you can cancel after a month, yada, yada. But it's just a blatant money grab by the B1G and it just seems shady as hell for some reason. I think the business model is predicated on the fact that IU has a huge fan base and some bean counter projected revenue on a bet that a certain % us would fork over the cash for at least a month to watch some of these cupcake games. Forget it. I'll listen to Fisch and watch the highlights online the next day. I really try to keep a check on my nostalgia for certain things, but man do I miss the days of being able to turn on Channel 4 on the weekends to catch a game. The only price to pay was sitting through a few horribly produced local commercials. 

5 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I really try to keep a check on my nostalgia for certain things, but man do I miss the days of being able to turn on Channel 4 on the weekends to catch a game. The only price to pay was sitting through a few horribly produced local commercials. 

I liked some of the old Farm Bureau commercials. 

Here is the Oscar Robertson 'Indiana Legend' commercial.

3 hours ago, BEKA said:

On the subject of BTN+, I just flat out refuse to pay the network on principle alone. Sure, it's a measly $10 and you can cancel after a month, yada, yada. But it's just a blatant money grab by the B1G and it just seems shady as hell for some reason. I think the business model is predicated on the fact that IU has a huge fan base and some bean counter projected revenue on a bet that a certain % us would fork over the cash for at least a month to watch some of these cupcake games. Forget it. I'll listen to Fisch and watch the highlights online the next day. I really try to keep a check on my nostalgia for certain things, but man do I miss the days of being able to turn on Channel 4 on the weekends to catch a game. The only price to pay was sitting through a few horribly produced local commercials. 

See, this is where living in Colorado has changed my thought process. I couldn’t just watch channel 4, we had to go to a bar with the big dish and hope they could pull the game off one of the satellites. I would then spend at least $10 at every game on beer and food. The only reason I ended up getting cable tv was so that I could watch IU games on ESPN, it was cheaper than going to the bar. I don’t mind paying a little more to get the games here.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:41 PM, 5fouls said:

I will be in Assembly Hall on Saturday.  Looking forward to seeing the Hoosiers live.

I have been in South Dakota, but it was over 45 years ago when I was a small child.  Family road trip out west made a stop at Mt. Rushmore.

Oh ****! 

You know Christmas is coming when 5 shares a story that's normally behind the paywall from his No Fouls days! ;)

20 hours ago, BEKA said:

I hate that games are on BTN+, but a money grab isn’t the reasoning. It’s actually the opposite. Bare with me because I’m going on memory from an article I read a while ago. But if I recall correctly, they have some sort of deal with universities that 3 games must be streamed per year because of the Student U productions and creating air time for other sports. 

Because of IUs ratings, we actually get the best end of this deal. BTN+ tries to get our 3 ‘garbage’ games out of the way early in the year so they don’t miss out in the rating generated from conference games. I believe other schools have conference games blocked out for BTN+. That would really suck!

If somebody remembers this reasoning more accurately please correct me if I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hate that games are on BTN+, but a money grab isn’t the reasoning. It’s actually the opposite. Bare with me because I’m going on memory from an article I read a while ago. But if I recall correctly, they have some sort of deal with universities that 3 games must be streamed per year because of the Student U productions and creating air time for other sports. 

Because of IUs ratings, we actually get the best end of this deal. BTN+ tries to get our 3 ‘garbage’ games out of the way early in the year so they don’t miss out in the rating generated from conference games. I believe other schools have conference games blocked out for BTN+. That would really suck!

If somebody remembers this reasoning more accurately please correct me if I’m wrong. 

I don't specifically recall that, but it makes a lot of sense.  Tanks for bringing that info to the board.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Can't verify this in any way, but sounds plausible.

I wish BT+ was free for people that already get the channel, but at the end of the day it doesn’t bother me too much. I don’t really care about the exhibition games, they’re replayed anyways on TV, so I paid $10 to watch 3 regular season games. I don’t love it, but I’m not too worked up about it either. 

SDSU makes me nervous. 

Indiana's name makes an enticing target for a team that is running out of chances to take the type of games that can move them up a line down the road should they do enough in conference to earn a berth.

Their blueprint is typically take conference and score an upset in hopes the quality sticks enough to avoid playing the highest seeds if all goes by design. Best case for them would have obviously been beat Neb and ASU to set them up for today bit IU is a bigger bullseye in a historic venue .Not hard to put two and two together on what that likely means for them as motivation goes.

Still think Indiana cannhandle them but not if it turns into answering 3's with 2's and missed FTs a day.

I could see this game going several ways, but I hope ,also predict the Hoosiers to respond early to slipping in the 2nd half of the last game.

IU can't afford to lose any margin for error in the upcoming stretch by dropping a game they're heavily favored in. Early schedule has been too weak so far for IU to be comfy with anything but unbeaten going into FSU. Today continues that narrative although I expect this to be Indiana's most game opponent .

7 games in and having a clear advantage on paper today there should be enough figured out for IU to get the home W with or without Rob, and without having to play their best ball

I played Vermillion, South Dakota (home of the University of South Dakota) on a theatre tour with the Nebraska Theatre Caravan back in my mid-20’s. We treated a couple audiences of a few hundred to a production of THE SPITFIRE GRILL. I remember it being a nice, college town full of nice folks. 

Archived