Pre-Game Florida St, 12/3

Starting this thread on DWB’s request —

The Seminoles come in 7-1, only loss at Pitt by one basket (1-1 away).

4 guys avg double figure scoring, with balance (10-12 points), two of whom shoot over 38% from the arc, and they’re a big team that gets downhill. 

This is a big step up from we’ve played, legit good team that of course just beat PU in a tourney. 

Our guys have worked in a number of good half court sets and we may look to slow the game into a half-court game, but we’re also better (imo) in transition so going to be interesting to watch how that pans. Fla St also has real size, a game where we should be looking to work inside out and use the wing and perimeter to spread the floor. Imo Green needs to start and Rob is going to be needed, healthy, running the O, but we’re just a couple days out and he hasn’t been playing, so that’s probably not realistic. Tough game, our guys are going to have to really bring it. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not have a good feeling about this one... at all. 

FSU's pressure is crazy and does not stop and we will be without Rob. They just came off a game where they only hit 1 three so I expect water to find its level. FSU has already played Florida, Tennessee, and Purdue so they are well prepared. 

The one area we can dominate them, is on the inside, I just think our guards will realllyyy struggle. 20+ turnovers. 

As Archie would say "this will be a great test".

IF....we can take care of the ball against their frantic, on ball pressure, we should be competitive. FSU is excellent, IMO, of getting into the passing lanes, and they hit the boards hard. They aren't a great shooting team, but man, can they play defense! Held PU and hairboy to 63 pts last night.

If we start dribbling the ball a bunch, we'll be in trouble. Also, we need to be patient. More than anytime thus far this year.

I've seen 2 recent FSU games, and they are for real. They should be top 25 coming into B'ton.

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Is this already fact?

I don’t believe so, understand  he is day to day. But not having played in last game is not the best sign 

edit - inside the hall today quotes CAM saying Rob is 50-50 on contact/ no contact and no timetable on his return, that makes it unlikely he’ll play Tuesday imo. Not specifically ruled out, but unlikely. 

His continuing injury situation is concerning 

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t believe so, understand  he is day to day. But not having played in last game is not the best sign 

edit - inside the hall today quotes CAM saying Rob is 50-50 on contact/ no contact and no timetable on his return, that makes it unlikely he’ll play Tuesday imo. Not specifically ruled out, but unlikely. 

“Contact/no-contact”? 

Not strep.

I'm looking at this game as the second yardstick...

We've seen how we can play against middle of the road competition, now let's try on a P5.

Doesn't thrill me that our guard choices are a freshman who's been pretty good, but not RP good, or 2 upper class men that have been wildly inconsistent.

Excited to see how TJD plays against better competition.

I hope we win, but a loss won't be the end of the world.

BTW, Anybody know any IU bars in Baltimore?

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What does that mean? He splits his time between contact and non-contact drills? If so, then I would assume that means no concussion. Does it mean there is a 50 percent chance he will be cleared for contact by Tuesday?

16 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

What does that mean? He splits his time between contact and non-contact drills? If so, then I would assume that means no concussion. Does it mean there is a 50 percent chance he will be cleared for contact by Tuesday?

It wasn’t explained but that’s not how I interpreted it — I think CAM is saying he’s 50-50 on whether he’s ready for contact — you are either cleared for contact or not, there’s no such thing as playing 50 percent contact 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It wasn’t explained but that’s not how I interpreted it — I think CAM is saying he’s 50-50 on whether he’s ready for contact — you are either cleared for contact or not, there’s no such thing as 50 percent contact 

In high school, we called that getting to 2nd base with a girl.

“Hopefully we can get Robert back at some point in time. That’s undecided right now,” Miller said Saturday night. “I have no idea when he’s going to.”

Miller went on to say Phinisee is “kind of 50/50 on contact, non-contact,” but that there is no medical redshirt on the table right now for the sophomore point guard.

Good luck interpreting this but it is sounding like the long concussion protocol again.  

CAM also mentioned our guard depth being a problem and the defense stinking

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

“Hopefully we can get Robert back at some point in time. That’s undecided right now,” Miller said Saturday night. “I have no idea when he’s going to.”

Miller went on to say Phinisee is “kind of 50/50 on contact, non-contact,” but that there is no medical redshirt on the table right now for the sophomore point guard.

Good luck interpreting this but it is sounding like the long concussion protocol again.  

CAM also mentioned our guard depth being a problem and the defense stinking

Kid needs a helmet, hes barely been touched in either incident.   Abnormally sensitive to head contact it seems 

Not gonna lie, FSU is legit and a little scary. With no proven primary ball handler, their pressure could take a toll unless we find a way to move the ball effectively in the half court. I think the keys will be our bigs taking control and being as aggressive as possible on the boards to maybe get a few fast breakouts to disrupt the tempo a bit. We're going to need everyone's A-game on Tuesday night. Will be interesting to see how some of the younger guys respond to better competition. 

Not sure what it is? Concussion? Strep? Abdominal? possibly all? but Rob seems to be very prone to injury.  In his 1.25 years he has missed a number of games. What concerns me the most is every once in a while you have an athlete - in college or in the pros - that just can never seem to be physically healthy throughout their career. In many ways we've seen this with De"ron Davis...a once very promising athlete who's career has been plagued by injuries.  I really hope that Rob gets healthy and STAYS healthy and not be constantly riddled with injuries. 

Archived