Pre-Game Florida St, 12/3

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m mentally preparing to be without Rob for a long time. 

Another reason for the Leal, etc class to include a PG.  A PG and big man would be icing on the cake. A bit unlikely, at this point, but you never know who might pop on on transfer or grad student lists.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not sure what it is? Concussion? Strep? Abdominal? possibly all? but Rob seems to be very prone to injury.  In his 1.25 years he has missed a number of games. What concerns me the most is every once in a while you have an athlete - in college or in the pros - that just can never seem to be physically healthy throughout their career. In many ways we've seen this with De"ron Davis...a once very promising athlete who's career has been plagued by injuries.  I really hope that Rob gets healthy and STAYS healthy and not be constantly riddled with injuries. 

There’s a difference between injury prone and bad luck. These are all different ailments/injuries. 

now, if it were a bunch of joint injuries then I could see your point. 

The concussion will however make him more prone to concussions, which is just the nature of concussions.  

32 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

My cousin was at the game and talked to Rob. Rob told him he had a concussion but would be back soon. 

Maybe this explains Archie quote saying he is allowed in some drills but not all of them? I’m not real familiar with what you can and can’t do with concussions but I thought you couldn’t participate in anything until you got fully cleared?

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

If he has a another concussion already he won't be playing for quite a while

All depends. Look at Whop. He took a massive hit in the PSU game, sat out a week and was back for Purdue. Other situations, it's a season ending injury. Concussions, even 2nd concussions are all so situational that you can't project from previous outcomes.

52 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Might be why Archie is being so vague. He knows all the chatter etc that comes with another concussion announcement.

I think its safe to say that Archie read Bill Belichik's book when it comes to injuries and the media. He's only going to say the bare minimum, and even that is going to be vague.

3 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Maybe this explains Archie quote saying he is allowed in some drills but not all of them? I’m not real familiar with what you can and can’t do with concussions but I thought you couldn’t participate in anything until you got fully cleared?

Contact v non-contact. Participation level depends on where the guy is on recovery but no contact until cleared 

9 hours ago, 5 championships said:

All I know is if we don’t have Rob for most of the season we aren’t making the tournament 

I'm confident we can do so without him.  He's an integral piece to the team, but he's not a make or break season type of impact player.

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

All depends. Look at Whop. He took a massive hit in the PSU game, sat out a week and was back for Purdue. Other situations, it's a season ending injury. Concussions, even 2nd concussions are all so situational that you can't project from previous outcomes.

Don't you know according to the refs that Whop did not get hit in the head

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm confident we can do so without him.  He's an integral piece to the team, but he's not a make or break season type of impact player.

I gotta disagree with you there. Rob is our best perimeter defender. Our best ball handler and point guard. He is a must have if this team wants to dance. 

You just don’t realize that because we haven’t played anybody yet but when the big boys start rolling in Rob P gotta be getting 20-30 min or we are looking at the NIT. Take it to the bank. I can just about guarantee it. Gotta have him!

11 hours ago, 5 championships said:

All I know is if we don’t have Rob for most of the season we aren’t making the tournament 

Respectfully disagree about making the dance.

BUT...I do agree Rob is the difference between W or L in games like FSU, where we will see pressure that is light years ahead of what we've seen to date. So far none of our guards have been able to handle severe on-ball pressure. Teams like FSU that focus on on-ball pressure and getting into the passing lanes, will expose our lack of ball handling skills, and bring out the bad Devonte decisions. We need to pass before we dribble.

I love Armaan, but I don't think he, or Al is the answer to Rob's absence. Believe it or not, I'd rather see Cooper give the point a try in a game like FSU. If he doesn't score, I don't care, because for every turnover we make, that usually equates to a point for the opposition. Make 20 turnovers, it's 20 points the other way. If we're playing teams that don't exert a lot of on-ball pressure, then Armaan, and Al can handle it. But my confidence level in their ability in this game is severely suspect.

And while I'm being crazy, let's work the ball until we get a good shot. I'd rather see a shot clock violation, than take a bad shot, let them rebound and get into a fast break transition and easy baskets.

After watching Florida state play 3 times this year against competition similar or better than us (IMO) im not feeling good about this game. Their pressure and length can cause fits. They made Tennessee look like a cyo team trying to break a press half the game. I’m gonna say something like 68-62 Florida state. Hope I’m wrong and we play super well. Being at home will help. I think this is a game we need to hit 7+ threes to have a chance. Which we don’t do very often over the past couple years. 

Archived