Pre-Game Florida St, 12/3

59 minutes ago, DWB said:

Respectfully disagree about making the dance.

BUT...I do agree Rob is the difference between W or L in games like FSU, where we will see pressure that is light years ahead of what we've seen to date. So far none of our guards have been able to handle severe on-ball pressure. Teams like FSU that focus on on-ball pressure and getting into the passing lanes, will expose our lack of ball handling skills, and bring out the bad Devonte decisions. We need to pass before we dribble.

I love Armaan, but I don't think he, or Al is the answer to Rob's absence. Believe it or not, I'd rather see Cooper give the point a try in a game like FSU. If he doesn't score, I don't care, because for every turnover we make, that usually equates to a point for the opposition. Make 20 turnovers, it's 20 points the other way. If we're playing teams that don't exert a lot of on-ball pressure, then Armaan, and Al can handle it. But my confidence level in their ability in this game is severely suspect.

And while I'm being crazy, let's work the ball until we get a good shot. I'd rather see a shot clock violation, than take a bad shot, let them rebound and get into a fast break transition and easy baskets.

Rob doesn’t just translate to the offensive end. He is by far our best perimeter defender. Remember what he did against Winston last year as a FRESHMEN? We become a ton better on defense when he is playing and locking down the other teams best perimeter player. It equals at least 10 points on that side of the ball.

Rob is not only a ball handler on offense. He is very very capable shooter and scorer. Fully healthy I figured he would give us a solid 10-13 points a game. He completely changes the outlook for the IU team. When we have him we can be a very good team this year and we get a whole lot depper and it takes a lot of pressure off our other guards.

i can not state enough how important he is to this team. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Rob doesn’t just translate to the offensive end. He is by far our best perimeter defender. Remember what he did against Winston last year as a FRESHMEN? We become a ton better on defense when he is playing and locking down the other teams best perimeter player. It equals at least 10 points on that side of the ball.

Rob is not only a ball handler on offense. He is very very capable shooter and scorer. Fully healthy I figured he would give us a solid 10-13 points a game. He completely changes the outlook for the IU team. When we have him we can be a very good team this year and we get a whole lot depper and it takes a lot of pressure off our other guards.

i can not state enough how important he is to this team. 

I'd go one step further and say that Rob is the single most important player on the team. Given our ball handler depth - he's a couple of notches more important than TJD. 

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'd go one step further and say that Rob is the single most important player on the team. Given our ball handler depth - he's a couple of notches more important than TJD. 

100 percent agree. Without Rob you are cutting the head of the snake off. This team can go to another level and be top 25 good with him. He is crucial to IU success!

im hear to tell you if we don’t have him soon when schedules Ramps up this team will not survive so just get ready for it 

And don’t get me wrong this team needs EVERYBODY this year but it CANNOT afford to lose Rob. 

5 hours ago, Tiz10 said:

Screenshot_20191202-075034_Twitter.jpg

This is what scares me about this game. We start 4 non-shooters that are all trying to get to the basket or operate in the paint, yet we're going against a team with lots of size and length. They'll be able to just sit back, pack the paint and beg us to drive into them. It could get ugly early if we're driving in and missing close and allowing them to get out into transition. 

I could see Green coming in for Franklin really quick in this one to help space the floor. We'll also need both Anderson and Hunter to be confident and hit some 3's if they're open when they get in. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

100 percent agree. Without Rob you are cutting the head of the snake off. This team can go to another level and be top 25 good with him. He is crucial to IU success!

im hear to tell you if we don’t have him soon when schedules Ramps up this team will not survive so just get ready for it 

And don’t get me wrong this team needs EVERYBODY this year but it CANNOT afford to lose Rob. 

Completely agree. A healthy, at-full-speed Phinisee is critical for this team. Beyond what Phinisee brings (good solid point guard, runs the team, good handles, adequate shooter, can get to the rim, defense, etc.) to the court, his presence also puts Durham, Green and Franklin in their more natural roles where they can thrive, and it also reverberates down the roster in terms of roles. 

For this team to really thrive, you want Durham in Franklin's current role, you want Green getting almost all of his time alongside Phinsee or Durham, and you want Franklin as a pesky defender off the bench for 10-15ish minutes. It also allows IU to more confidently and as a more complete team go smaller at times with Phinisee at the guard and Durham/Green/Hunter/Anderson on the wings and Smith at the 4 for stretches. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. A healthy, at-full-speed Phinisee is critical for this team. Beyond what Phinisee brings (good solid point guard, runs the team, good handles, adequate shooter, can get to the rim, defense, etc.) to the court, his presence also puts Durham, Green and Franklin in their more natural roles where they can thrive, and it also reverberates down the roster in terms of roles. 

For this team to really thrive, you want Durham in Franklin's current role, you want Green getting almost all of his time alongside Phinsee or Durham, and you want Franklin as a pesky defender off the bench for 10-15ish minutes. It also allows IU to more confidently and as a more complete team go smaller at times with Phinisee at the guard and Durham/Green/Hunter/Anderson on the wings and Smith at the 4 for stretches. 

Bingo! You get it. Well said! 

I have watched FSU a few times and they are a very good defensive team and are very athletic.  On the other end of the floor they are just average and if you make them play in the half court they are not as effective..  I think it will be a close low scoring game and will be determined by how we take care of the ball and rebound.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched FSU a few times and they are a very good defensive team and are very athletic.  On the other end of the floor they are just average and if you make them play in the half court they are not as effective..  I think it will be a close low scoring game and will be determined by how we take care of the ball and rebound.

This is why our starting lineup worries me. We haven't gotten out of the gates too bad so far this season, but at least in the last couple games the other team has adjusted in the second half to sagging off Franklin, Smith, TJD and Brunk (Franklin, Smith & Brunk in particular). If FSU begins the game doing that, there's a good chance we'll drive into traffic and either miss or turn it over and allow FSU to get into transition. 

As you said, they're a poor half court team so we do not want to allow them to get into transition. The best way to make it a half court game is to score and not turn it over. I worry about our scoring with the starting lineup. It really relies on Durham to be hot from the outside. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Something like this?

1 2 OT T
FSU 27 31 5 63
PUR 24 34 2 60

GAME STATS
Stats 213.vresize.36.36.medium.0.png 474.vresize.36.36.medium.0.png
FG%
37.9% 33.9%
FT
18-25 13-17
FT%
72.0% 76.5%
3PT-FG%
5.9% 20.8%
Total Rebounds
29 43
Off. Rebounds
9 14
Turnovers
13 24

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is why our starting lineup worries me. We haven't gotten out of the gates too bad so far this season, but at least in the last couple games the other team has adjusted in the second half to sagging off Franklin, Smith, TJD and Brunk (Franklin, Smith & Brunk in particular). If FSU begins the game doing that, there's a good chance we'll drive into traffic and either miss or turn it over and allow FSU to get into transition. 

As you said, they're a poor half court team so we do not want to allow them to get into transition. The best way to make it a half court game is to score and not turn it over. I worry about our scoring with the starting lineup. It really relies on Durham to be hot from the outside. 

We see things similarly. We keep going 'big' and without actual wing play and shooting. It of course doesn't help that Rob keeps missing games. Brunk does not match up well, from what I can see, with this team. We need shooting. Hope we see Demez and Hunter getting shots, along with Al and Green who should have a complete green light to shoot/spread the floor in this game, imo. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I could see Green coming in for Franklin really quick in this one to help space the floor. We'll also need both Anderson and Hunter to be confident and hit some 3's if they're open when they get in. 

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Arch seems to stick with a starting lineup until his hand is almost forced to make a change, but I wouldn't mind seeing Green get the start over Franklin.  That's no knock on Armaan, but I think we need all the potential positives Green brings on the floor from the get go.  

I'm with Parakeet in thinking Green starts. Will need his experience and he should have shaken any rust off by now. 

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm with Parakeet in thinking Green starts. Will need his experience and he should have shaken any rust off by now. 

Agree with you and Parakeet. When I first typed the sentenced you quote me on, I wrote "I could see Green starting for Franklin..." and then for some reason deleted it. 

I really like Franklin, he's been strong defensively and otherwise solid, but his lack of offense worries me for this one, especially if we're sticking with Smith, TJD, Brunk. 

And Green really hasn't shown 'rust,' he's been playing strong offensively. We really need his outside / guard game, and he's also a strong defender.

If he doesn't start, I'm going to question CAM's decision-making. Just looking at our last game, Green went 4-8 (3-6 from deep) for 11, Franklin went 1-6 for 3 points.

This is not a game to start a frosh guard when you have Green ready. That is no knock on Franklin, really like his upside and he has played well.

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And Green really hasn't shown 'rust,' he's been playing strong offensively. We really need his outside / guard game, and he's also a strong defender.

If he doesn't start, I'm going to question CAM's decision-making. Just looking at our last game, Green went 4-8 (3-6 from deep) for 11, Franklin went 1-6 for 3 points.

This is not a game to start a frosh guard when you have Green ready. That is no knock on Franklin, really like his upside and he has played well.

I would give Franklin a shot first. We already know what Green does under pressure...  not turning it over is going to be just as important as hitting from the outside

Back to Green, also from a game prep - scouting standpoint they will ready for TJD, Smith and Al, they’ll be well scouted, but probably not so much Green. They’re not going to look at tape from last season. Green could really go off in this game but he needs the time and rhythm that comes with it. Do hope he starts and us quickly involved in looks and sets 

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I would give Franklin a shot first. We already know what Green does under pressure...  not turning it over is going to be just as important as hitting from the outside

Disagree, and your assessment of his play this season just isn’t fair. He’s our senior guard who cane off last season shooting lights out. Franklin is a frosh who just came off a 1-6 night against a weak team and this is s deservedly ranked team coming in. Going with Franklin in that situation is a mistake 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Disagree, and your assessment of his play this season just isn’t fair. He’s our senior guard who cane off last season shooting lights out. Franklin is a frosh who just came off a 1-6 night against a weak team and this is s deservedly ranked team coming in. Going with Franklin in that situation is a mistake 

I dont think im being unfair at all, ive watched every game. He does not handle on ball pressure well, Especially when in the pg position.. He will get plenty minutes for sure, I just like his energy off the bench

14 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I dont think im being unfair at all, ive watched every game. He does not handle on ball pressure well, Especially when in the pg position.. He will get plenty minutes for sure, I just like his energy off the bench

No, he is best off ball. Not disrespecting your opinion, anything here is opinion, but tell me what Franklin has done the past 2 games? Understand I am big on his upside but this is a huge jump in competition and coming off the past 2 games you think he’s ready for that? Tell me how Green finished last season? He was basically playing the best on the team, and he’s already shooting well. We need that 

Archived