Pre-Game Florida St, 12/3

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would say your keyword there is generally. This isn't a general situation. Miami staff would be in dereliction of duty if they didn't know good and well what green is capable of.  Coming off of injury plus the schedule we have played this year.  If that staff isn't putting together a highlight reel of what green's capable of, then great, I hope they're not!

Who knows. He’a Not our key scorer this season, and they’re coming off multiple games. That’s the point. You can assume some kind of dereliction of duty (lol) if they haven’t scouted last year, but that’s a stretch. He’ll be scouted, but there will likely be an emphasis on the guys CAM has emphasized this year - the guys who have been our key scorers through 7 games, again, that’s the point. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we head into the real competition, I honestly don't have a clue what to make of this team. I'd feel so much better if we had a healthy, 100% Phinisee. I could see IU doing tonight what it did to Marquette last year, and I could also see FSU shutting down our offense, forcing a ton of turnovers and our shooting falling off a cliff and IU getting run out of the gym. 

I have no idea what to make of this. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

As we head into the real competition, I honestly don't have a clue what to make of this team. I'd feel so much better if we had a healthy, 100% Phinisee. I could see IU doing tonight what it did to Marquette last year, and I could also see FSU shutting down our offense, forcing a ton of turnovers and our shooting falling off a cliff and IU getting run out of the gym. 

I have no idea what to make of this. 

Completely with you here. 

FSU has real size and length across the floor to go with athleticism and experience in the backcourt - we will not overwhelm with size and front court play, really our limited playbook so far, against this team. 

But we just might do real damage through aggressive rebounding against this team, which does play to one of our strengths. 

But we’ve been turning it over lately and this team is like #3 in D and excels at turning teams over. 

But we’ve shown real improvement at off ball movement and pick and roll and generally half court sets that this FSU team looks to be vulnerable to. 

Man there’s a ton of ifs for this game. I’ll start those ifs with if we get outside shooting from Green and Al and limit TOs.... I think this can be a close hard fought W 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Man there’s a ton of ifs for this game. I’ll start those ifs with if we get outside shooting from Green and Al and limit TOs.... I think this can be a close hard fought W 

Yup, we need Durham and Green to be good from the outside and take care of the ball, and we need one or two of Franklin, Hunter and/or Anderson to at least hit a perimeter shot or two when they're open. That would open things up so much more for TJD and Smith to operate inside. 

I'm really curious to see how Smith does tonight. Most of his damage, outside of transition points and putbacks, has been backing down smaller defenders on the block. That works against North Alabama, but how does it work against FSU when the guy defending you is the same size and the big helping is a 7-footer? This will be a nice test for how the "new Smith" will do this year. 

So, how much of the first half does everyone think we'll miss because the first game runs over? Amazing that after all of these years ESPN hasn't figured out how to properly schedule college basketball games. The weird part is that while this happens occasionally to NBA games on ESPN if the first game goes into overtime, but otherwise the tip of the second game is almost always timed perfectly for the end of the first game. 

https://seatgeek.com/florida-state-seminoles-at-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-tickets/ncaa-basketball/2019-12-03-9-pm/4888602

There are main level tickets to this game going for around $20 a pair at seatgeek....for a game against a ranked opponent.  Is that cause for concern?  Those tickets would be going for $40 to $50 a piece just a few short years ago (on the low end).

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://seatgeek.com/florida-state-seminoles-at-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-tickets/ncaa-basketball/2019-12-03-9-pm/4888602

There are main level tickets to this game going for around $20 a pair at seatgeek....for a game against a ranked opponent.  Is that cause for concern?  Those tickets would be going for $40 to $50 a piece just a few short years ago (on the low end).

Winning cures everything.  Hope tonight is the start.

26 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The Indiana fan base is not what it used to be.  Regardless of the reasons, I don't think anyone can argue that point.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Indiana fan base is not what it used to be.  Regardless of the reasons, I don't think anyone can argue that point.  

I think we lost a generation from losing and the when that generation became adults they are not as big as fans as we were.  Also I still think having so many out of state students from the East coast and over seas hurts the attendance as well.  These students did not grow up knowing what IU basketball is all about and probably never followed IU basketball before attending IU.  After graduation they tend to probably go back closer to home and don't remain fans of the program so that hurts attendance.

Don't buy the argument that this generation doesn't have the capacity to be bigger fans than us, or that out of state students have the capacity to be true IU fans.

.....If you build it; they will come.

Winning (a lack of) is the one and only reason the fanbase isn't as enthusiastic as it used to be. 

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

This was on reference to scouting him, but maybe I'm confused, just woke up a little bit ago and haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee.  

Nope..You're not. I'm the one that's confused. I mis-read your post. I thought it was about Green starting, not the scouting on him.

My bad...and apologies.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Definitely.  Took expensive to take your family.

Also way more things for people to do especially college kids.  Also with the technology and the great HD quality for TV's people would rather watch it form home.   On the cost you are right because Saturday at the IU/PU football game it cost $30.00 for just two 7' pizzas, plus bread sticks and two drinks.  Actually I got lucky and the guy at the parking lot I went to was for permit parking only but he let me park there for free.  he said he was an IU guy and was in enemy territory so he said go ahead and park here. It was the parking lot right beside the stadium and their sports complex.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also way more things for people to do especially college kids.  Also with the technology and the great HD quality for TV's people would rather watch it form home.   On the cost you are right because Saturday at the IU/PU football game it cost $30.00 for just two 7' pizzas, plus bread sticks and two drinks.  Actually I got lucky and the guy at the parking lot I went to was for permit parking only but he let me park there for free.  he said he was an IU guy and was in enemy territory so he said go ahead and park here. It was the parking lot right beside the stadium and their sports complex.

Scott just got a parking attendant fired.  :coffee:

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also way more things for people to do especially college kids.  Also with the technology and the great HD quality for TV's people would rather watch it form home.

I was preparing to say much the same thing...wall-sized hi def TVs, much cheaper concessions, free parking and no lines for the restroom make today's home watching hard to beat.  I actually turned down my sister's faculty seats for tonight's game and it would have cost me nothing to get in.  I just thought about the hassle and said maybe next time.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I was preparing to say much the same thing...wall-sized hi def TVs, much cheaper concessions, free parking and no lines for the restroom make today's home watching hard to beat.  I actually turned down my sister's faculty seats for tonight's game and it would have cost me nothing to get in.  I just thought about the hassle and said maybe next time.

Unless I'm going for the experience of taking my kids, I kind of hate when people ask if I want to go to a game (football, basketball, etc.). It's just so much better, easier and more convenient to watch at home. TV's are awesome, you get replays, I can pause the TV, have access to whatever I want at home, etc. 

Really the only games I really like going to anymore are maybe a handful of minor league baseball games each summer. Otherwise, I'd much rather watch at home. 

Archived