2022 DE Joe Strickland Commits to Purdue

HoosierKix

I get the family connection to PU, and Hagen is a solid coach.  But PU is on its 3rd DC in 3 years.   

Brohm isn't exactly known as a defensive coach either.  I think Brohm has a chance to change momentum in the program,  but right now IU and PU are heading in completely different directions. 

44 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I get the family connection to PU, and Hagen is a solid coach.  But PU is on its 3rd DC in 3 years.   

Brohm isn't exactly known as a defensive coach either.  I think Brohm has a chance to change momentum in the program,  but right now IU and PU are heading in completely different directions. 

I think 3 things are really helping Purdue in this recruitment:

1. Hagen- without him, I don’t think we’re in the running. 

2. Karlaftis/early playing time- sounds like GK has been the main player recruiter with Joe and is probably telling him he can take his spot once he leaves. My guess is he goes to the NFL after this year and is selling Joe on being the next in line re the den of defensive ends. 

3. Family connection- Mom is an alum/big fan and was there during the Brees years. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think 3 things are really helping Purdue in this recruitment:

1. Hagen- without him, I don’t think we’re in the running. 

2. Karlaftis/early playing time- sounds like GK has been the main player recruiter with Joe and is probably telling him he can take his spot once he leaves. My guess is he goes to the NFL after this year and is selling Joe on being the next in line re the den of defensive ends. 

3. Family connection- Mom is an alum/big fan and was there during the Brees years. 

It will be a tough battle, worst scenario is he goes to Stanford and that they lead him all summer break. That one, I can’t blame him due to it being Stanford

How I view him right now: 

1. IU 

2. PU (pretty neck to neck with IU) 

3. Stanford 

4 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

When comparing PU and IU, it’s gotta be hard to look at recent seasons and the classes each are assembling and feel like you’re destined for more success at Purdue. Granted they do have a history of developing DE’s which is probably what’s keeping them in it. 

History of DE’s/Hagen plus his mom will be key reasons why we landed him if he end up getting him. 

I think he would have to really be drawn to Purdue the school. Pretty hard for any objective person to expect they will be more successful than IU the next 4 years. Plus, the brand you create by playing in the East is undeniable compared to the West based on names and markets. Of course,  kids are kids, so who knows?

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I think he would have to really be drawn to Purdue the school. Pretty hard for any objective person to expect they will be more successful than IU the next 4 years. Plus, the brand you create by playing in the East is undeniable compared to the West based on names and markets. Of course,  kids are kids, so who knows?

After his official visit to Purdue, he mentioned he wanted to study civil engineering so that would help us a bit I’d guess. And he is clearly a legit student so it’s not just him paying lip service regarding academics. 

With regards to the next 4 years, who knows? Look at Brohm’s first two seasons compared to Allen’s. I think most people would’ve made a case that Purdue had the better outlook over the next 4 years but clearly things can change. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

After his official visit to Purdue, he mentioned he wanted to study civil engineering so that would help us a bit I’d guess. And he is clearly a legit student so it’s not just him paying lip service regarding academics. 

With regards to the next 4 years, who knows? Look at Brohm’s first two seasons compared to Allen’s. I think most people would’ve made a case that Purdue had the better outlook over the next 4 years but clearly things can change. 

Agree on the civil engineering if that's a priority to him. Completely disagree on the second part. Comparing the Ohio State fluke to the well rounded momentum we have going isn't realistic.

Do you really feel confident your current roster and recruiting will surpass what we have going on right now? Not what if's, but probabilities. The only advantage you have is playing in the west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The first two years of a HC tell a lot less about them then years 3 and 4. 

Brohm is 6-12 the last two years and 5-9 vs the BT. 

Allen is 14-7 the last two years and 11-5 in the BT. 2 of the 5 losses being OSU. 

Basically since the Auburn debacle, your football program has been... not good. 

• Like 3