2022 DE Joe Strickland Commits to Purdue

HoosierKix

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It seems unusual that an instate guy considering IU and PU has been able to keep things so quiet. I would love for this to go all the way to his announcement with people not knowing. I love following crystal ball predictions, but sometimes not knowing until the guy puts a hat on is refreshing.

Which is strange due to his connections with Purdue, and on that side they don’t know where he is going. Then the Twitter hints from IU recruits, like Dasan too. Watch him stun the in state schools and pick Stanford

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It seems unusual that an instate guy considering IU and PU has been able to keep things so quiet. I would love for this to go all the way to his announcement with people not knowing. I love following crystal ball predictions, but sometimes not knowing until the guy puts a hat on is refreshing.

It’s nerve wracking but pretty cool at the same time. Can be frustrating when all of the recruiting guys drop crystal ball picks at the last second and it’s obvious where they’re going. I feel like it’d be better if they had to lock in their picks a week out and not change them haha. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Which is strange due to his connections with Purdue, and on that side they don’t know where he is going. Then the Twitter hints from IU recruits, like Dasan too. Watch him stun the in state schools and pick Stanford

There are so many ways to look at it. Some folks on our board were saying it could mean something that the accounts on Twitter that Joe most recent started following are almost all Purdue (Cliff Avril, Kerrigan, Colvin, etc…) but then you have the tweets from Dasan. Who knows really. 

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

There are so many ways to look at it. Some folks on our board were saying it could mean something that the accounts on Twitter that Joe most recent started following are almost all Purdue (Cliff Avril, Kerrigan, Colvin, etc…) but then you have the tweets from Dasan. Who knows really. 

He could be swinging off both fanbases

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s nerve wracking but pretty cool at the same time. Can be frustrating when all of the recruiting guys drop crystal ball picks at the last second and it’s obvious where they’re going. I feel like it’d be better if they had to lock in their picks a week out and not change them haha. 

Yeah it’s like the guys on Twitter who spoil draft picks.  I have to leave Twitter off when I watch the draft.  

This kid is one of the bigger in state battles in a long time.  David Bell is terrific but we just weren’t in that one.  It’s a position where we could really use him.  His gut and heart may be tugging toward IU but his family history might be pulling the other way.  

As for Hagen this is a guy who will go across the street tomorrow if you give him an extra $20k.  The number of jobs he’s had is especially bizarre.  Strickland should go through his timeline.  He is not a loyal guy and can’t keep a job.  Poof he’s gone.  Beyond that, his track record is poor.  He can point to a couple of guys like Kerrigan, but Ryan was going to be what he is regardless of Hagen.  How do I know?  Because the overwhelming majority of his guys don’t meet expectations.  He coached at IU and he totally didn’t distinguish himself.  The notion that Hagen is a positive factor is laughable and absurd.  He’s a mediocrity.  

• Like 3

If Strickland wants to play in a good and fun defensive system for a higher profile program, with better talent around him that will help his profile when he makes plays, as he inevitably will, he will go to IU.  

If he wants to go to school where the defense will give up chunk yardage and lose a bunch of shootouts in the JV division of the B1G then he can go to Purdue.  Enjoy losing 51-43.  If he thinks he can change that, good luck with that. You need 11 guys working in concert.  Karlaftis couldn’t help Purdue’s Swiss cheese defense from being a sieve.  Karlaftis should be a cautionary tale, not a plus.  

There are guys who are trying to win and there are guys who want to showcase their individual game.  I suspect Strickland wants to win and play with his friends at IU.  Purdue looks bleak and dismal.  

As for his mom going to Purdue, the kids in my family didn’t go where my parents went.  Not even close.  My kids are young but I doubt they go to IU.  This is one of the most overrated aspects of selecting a college.  You go where you have the better opportunity and to succeed.  Here, it is obviously IU.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This kid is one of the bigger in state battles in a long time.  David Bell is terrific but we just weren’t in that one.  It’s a position where we could really use him.  His gut and heart may be tugging toward IU but his family history might be pulling the other way.  

As for Hagen this is a guy who will go across the street tomorrow if you give him an extra $20k.  The number of jobs he’s had is especially bizarre.  Strickland should go through his timeline.  He is not a loyal guy and can’t keep a job.  Poof he’s gone.  Beyond that, his track record is poor.  He can point to a couple of guys like Kerrigan, but Ryan was going to be what he is regardless of Hagen.  How do I know?  Because the overwhelming majority of his guys don’t meet expectations.  He coached at IU and he totally didn’t distinguish himself.  The notion that Hagen is a positive factor is laughable and absurd.  He’s a mediocrity.  

Hagen was at Purdue for 10 years last time and helped develop a bunch of guys aside from Kerrigan (Spencer, Short, Neal, Avril, Magee, etc…) He jumped to Texas obviously but then was let go and out of a job. Has he really hopped around more than a lot of others? He’s been at Purdue, IU, Texas, A&M, and Northern Illinois. Doesn’t seem like a ton of stops in 29 years. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hagen was at Purdue for 10 years last time and helped develop a bunch of guys aside from Kerrigan (Spencer, Short, Neal, Avril, Magee, etc…) He jumped to Texas obviously but then was let go and out of a job. Has he really hopped around more than a lot of others? He’s been at Purdue, IU, Texas, A&M, and Northern Illinois. Doesn’t seem like a ton of stops in 29 years. 

At Purdue, the talent Joe Tiller brought in was the real factor. He was at IU for awhile. He hardly developed anybody. Texas and A&M couldn’t wait to get rid of him.  He took a quick buck to go down there and was unceremoniously bounced both times.  Not much success.  Karlaftis was a lucky break.  Local kid.  That’s like IU recruiting Aaron Steinfeldt. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

At Purdue, the talent Joe Tiller brought in was the real factor. He was at IU for awhile. He hardly developed anybody. Texas and A&M couldn’t wait to get rid of him.  He took a quick buck to go down there and was unceremoniously bounced both times.  Not much success.  Karlaftis was a lucky break.  Local kid.  That’s like IU recruiting Aaron Steinfeldt. 

Agree to disagree lol. 5 colleges in 29 years doesn’t scream job hopper to me but to each their own. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree to disagree lol. 5 colleges in 29 years doesn’t scream job hopper to me but to each their own. 

You’re being disingenuous.  Wasn’t he at IU and Purdue twice?  There are more job switches than you are trying to brush under the rug.  Bottom line, offer him an extra $25K, and he’s getting the Mayflower truck.  Loyalty to his job is not on his radar.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You’re being disingenuous.  Wasn’t he at IU and Purdue twice?  There are more job switches than you are trying to brush under the rug.  Bottom line, offer him an extra $25K, and he’s getting the Mayflower truck.  Loyalty to his job is not on his radar.  

It's all been in the last 10 years he has jumped around.  At Purdue for a decade then..

2011 IU

2013 T A&M

2016 IU

2020 Texas 

2021 Purdue 

That is a lot of moving in 10 years. 

• Like 1