Rob P

Rumor is he has a mild concussion. I can't imagine it had to be from the bump he received a couple games ago - that appeared very minor.  Maybe it's something that happened in practice? Regardless...either Rob has terrible luck or he is brittle. Hopefully he can get healthy and stay healthy. 

I ain't do Dr. but from all this concussion stuff going on in the NFL, to my understanding once you have a concussion the more likely you are to get another one.  And then comes the snowball effect.  But that is football, I would assume it is the same in anything.  Even though basketball is supposed to be a non-contact sport.

So did Rob really have strep or was that just a rumor?   

If it's a concussion again that's not good news even if its mild.  I think you're correct Rico.   With the major concussion last year he is much more susceptible to get another.   If a minor bump can knock him out like this you have to wonder how he can handle the much more physical teams we have coming up. 

Hopefully the staff is just being overly cautious and this isn't as bad as it seems.  We didn't need him but yes it would be nice to have him playing and building chemistry.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So did Rob really have strep or was that just a rumor?   

If it's a concussion again that's not good news even if its mild.  I think you're correct Rico.   With the major concussion last year he is much more susceptible to get another.   If a minor bump can knock him out like this you have to wonder how he can handle the much more physical teams we have coming up. 

Hopefully the staff is just being overly cautious and this isn't as bad as it seems.  We didn't need him but yes it would be nice to have him playing and building chemistry.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

My understanding is yes he had strep at one time and then suffered another concussion sometime right after that. Basically it’s been one thing after another for him so far this season 

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

My understanding is yes he had strep at one time and then suffered another concussion sometime right after that. Basically it’s been one thing after another for him so far this season 

Actually that's probably better than if his absence was totally concussion related.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

26 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think this is very accurate.  I believe it occurred in practice. Word I got was mild. Should be back this week not sure if that's tomorrow though.

4 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Rumor is he has a mild concussion. I can't imagine it had to be from the bump he received a couple games ago - that appeared very minor.  Maybe it's something that happened in practice? Regardless...either Rob has terrible luck or he is brittle. Hopefully he can get healthy and stay healthy. 

I heard at an IU alumni watch party that IU is one of the leading universities in concussion research. So I did a little research myself (very little, like one search on Google) and found this:

NCAA and Department of Defense expand concussion study with $22.5 million in new funding

If IU is a leading university in concussion research, then I could easily see why so many of our players are kept out due to concussions.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I ain't do Dr. but from all this concussion stuff going on in the NFL, to my understanding once you have a concussion the more likely you are to get another one.  And then comes the snowball effect.  But that is football, I would assume it is the same in anything.  Even though basketball is supposed to be a non-contact sport.

You are correct...Ive had multiple head injuries kickboxing/ combat and it worries me...my Akita and I were wrestling and we knocked heads...I was layed out on living room floor...OUT....!

5 hours ago, rico said:

This is correct from a medical perspective. Once you have one concussion you are likely to have more and there is a compounding effect. I know people are saying it's mild and what not and that RP should be back soon, but I can't help but think a medical redshirt is on the table for this season if for no other reason that it would give RP healing time. That isn't to say that the concussion risk would go away, but risk of future concussions can decrease with extended periods of time away from potential contact. That isn't to say they will get back to the point of a patient having never had a concussion, but it can be decreased. This could very well be a problem Rob has to deal with for the rest of his basketball life. 

40 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

This is correct from a medical perspective. Once you have one concussion you are likely to have more and there is a compounding effect. I know people are saying it's mild and what not and that RP should be back soon, but I can't help but think a medical redshirt is on the table for this season if for no other reason that it would give RP healing time. That isn't to say that the concussion risk would go away, but risk of future concussions can decrease with extended periods of time away from potential contact. That isn't to say they will get back to the point of a patient having never had a concussion, but it can be decreased. This could very well be a problem Rob has to deal with for the rest of his basketball life. 

Outside of Rob wearing a helmet (which won't happen) there's not much we can do.  I suppose just hope and pray to god that nothing touches his head....Thank God Rob wasn't Whop Philyor when he got tattooed with the helmet to helmet contact against PSU... I guess Rob is more prone to concussions?

46 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I think some of the speculation about a mild concussion  may have stemmed from the assumption it happened in the game a week ago (looked like very little contact).  But if he actually suffered a hit to the head in practice, which we were unaware of, that might explain more.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Outside of Rob wearing a helmet (which won't happen) there's not much we can do.  I suppose just hope and pray to god that nothing touches his head....Thank God Rob wasn't Whop Philyor when he got tattooed with the helmet to helmet contact against PSU... I guess Rob is more prone to concussions?

Has this every happened in basketball? 

Do basketball 'helmets' exist? 

I hope Rob can get back to playing without risking his health.  He's the kind of player we need as a general thing, and as others have pointed out above his skill set is especially needed.  This team's margin for error is not very big.  So getting Rob back would be a big boost.  It's difficult to be very optimistic without Rob being at full speed.

Helmets aren’t always an automatic. In the sport of pole vaulting it would seem OBVIOUS that that would be a place where helmets would be mandated. And it was for many years. Now it isn’t because data showed an actual increase in concussions and head injuries. So it isn’t always an obvious thing.

Here's where I'm at with Rob. It's a disservice to the other players constantly bringing up Rob's availability every week/game. Feel bad for the kid for sure....but I also think it sends a message to the other players saying we can't win without him. When Rob can show up and play a month without something happening...cool. I think he's our best point guard but constantly talking about his availability implies the other kids can't do it.

Reading pregame tweets about Rob to me sends a wrong message to other players.

Archived