Good Advice

Share some advice that has been shared with you and helped you. 

By nature I am very laid back and easy to get along with for most part. Several years ago i was given some advice that I try to live by. When I react without taking this advice into consideration I usually dont like the results. 

When faced with any situation and how  I react I ask 3 quick questions 

1. Does this impact my family?

2. Does it impact my wallet/business?

3. Does this impact my walk with God?

If The answer to all are no I usually try not to get involved. 

I have two favorite sayings that I refer to often (just ask my kids)

Ten most powerful words- only 20 letters -  IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME

Some things in life you can control, others you can influence and some you have no control over. Focus on the first two, and don't stress over the latter.

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Some things in life you can control, others you can influence and some you have no control over. Focus on the first two, and don't stress over the latter.

That things you have no control over stresses me out the most.  I want to jump through the TV set and choke people!

On 12/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Share some advice that has been shared with you and helped you. 

By nature I am very laid back and easy to get along with for most part. Several years ago i was given some advice that I try to live by. When I react without taking this advice into consideration I usually dont like the results. 

When faced with any situation and how  I react I ask 3 quick questions 

1. Does this impact my family?

2. Does it impact my wallet/business?

3. Does this impact my walk with God?

If The answer to all are no I usually try not to get involved. 

Only advice that has ever produced good fruit in my life is Matthew 6:33.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  

when are started applying this to my life I went from depressed, addicted, and in despair to sober, met my beautiful wife, debt free within a few years.  

Mine is hard to follow, but mine is that I am the only one who can control my happiness.  It doesn't matter what happens around me, but as long as I won't let it get me down, I can stay happy.

There was a kid at the school I teach at who was really low functioning, but he was happy 100% of the time.  The place he lives is a run down apartment, sometimes he would wrap up extra food during lunch so he could take it home for dinner, and his IQ probably wasn't about 70, but he always had a smile on his face.  He really helped me.  I thought, if he can always be happy, what the hell do I have to be sad about?

Of course, there are days that are worse than others, but I went through some depression a few years back, and this idea really helped me get through a really tough last year.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to bring this up from the basement.  

But I need some advice.  I come from a shithole family. Drug addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters.

I got lucky to have a really great dad.  And my stepdad did all he could and has given me so much.

But he is 60 this year and not doing well. Recently had a stroke. 

I really dont know what I'm trying to say. it's just makes me sad seeing someone who used to be so strong being weak. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

But I need some advice.  I come from a shithole family. Drug addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters.

I got lucky to have a really great dad.  And my stepdad did all he could and has given me so much.

I really dont know what I'm trying to say. it's just makes me sad seeing someone who used to be so strong being weak. 

You don't have to be strong all the time no one can be. I'm really sorry about what you've had to overcome and sorry to hear about your step dad's stroke. 

The fact that you can identify where you came from and be intentional about who you are says a lot about your character. Your good peeps, man. I'll keep you and your step dad in my thoughts. Just know you have a family here (possibly some shitholes here too lol) that you can always come to when you need us. 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Hang in there. Don't look to alcohol to answer your problems but find a positive outlet like exercise to turn to when needed. Keep a positive attitude. I'm reminded it is our attitude that is truly powerful and determines how we handle life--and adversity. Stay positive even though it may not be the easiest option. Sometimes we just have to deal with crap to get through to the next happy moment in our lives. 

Google some inspirational videos. May help to bring perspective and realize our challenges are not so great compared to what others have faced. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It is hard when the one you have always looked up to, and especially a father or mother, is weakened by a bad health condition or disease or anything else. Feel for you bro.
But who he has been for you is always there. We’re all a step away from something happening to us — doesn’t change who we are and have been. Your dad has helped shape you, that’s part of his strength

I hate hearing but look at what you have overcome to be the man you are. Draw on that inner strength that God has placed in you. I turn to the Bible in those times and God always puts the verse in front of me that need.  It's not easy but we are created to be able to be strong when we can't imagine how but God has this and will lead your through it. Joshua 1: 19 says it better than I. PM me if you need anything.  

image.thumb.png.829c375d68508889f05acfa47b5adc70.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only putting it here because I talked about being worried about my stepdad in this topic. 

Found out yesterday his doctor thinks he has Parkinson's disease.  Still going to do more tests but it's not looking good. 

Just really bummed out right now. 

Sorry to hear about your stepdad...prayer for him and your family...

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm only putting it here because I talked about being worried about my stepdad in this topic. 

Found out yesterday his doctor thinks he has Parkinson's disease.  Still going to do more tests but it's not looking good. 

So sorry to hear about your stepdad. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. 

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thoughts and prayers for you and your step Dad my friend. I will respond to you PM today. Thank you very much. I appreciate you reaching out

On 2/13/2021 at 9:38 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Sorry to hear that man.  That and the news of your mother.  I will tell you, if you haven't already there are some really great resources out there for dementia/alzheimer's assistance.  I think my dad found them through the alzheimer's association.  And with your step dad.  Maybe proper diagnosis can lead to proper medication can improve some things he was just dealing with or ignoring.  

Archived