Good Advice

On 2/13/2021 at 7:38 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm only putting it here because I talked about being worried about my stepdad in this topic. 

Found out yesterday his doctor thinks he has Parkinson's disease.  Still going to do more tests but it's not looking good. 

Just really bummed out right now. 

So sorry, man. Thinking of you. 

I talked to my stepdad today. He is having a really hard time. He had a stroke and possibly has Parkinson's disease.

He lives alone with his dogs but has been off work for months. Has a difficult time moving around. This recent snowstorm has kept him from getting out and doing his daily walks. He tries to do 2-4 miles a day. 

I try to be around as much as I can but it's hard with work and life stuff.  

Visited him today and for brevity he needs support.  He wont call a hotline so I ask you HSN for help. 

He gave me permission to share his number. 812 698 2926

Text or call if you are willing. @FKIM01 he would love to hear from you. 

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I talked to my stepdad today. He is having a really hard time. He had a stroke and possibly has Parkinson's disease.

He lives alone with his dogs but has been off work for months. Has a difficult time moving around. This recent snowstorm has kept him from getting out and doing his daily walks. He tries to do 2-4 miles a day. 

Visited him today and for brevity he needs support.  He wont call a hotline so I ask you HSN for help. 

My favorite platitude or advice:  Listen and respond with empathy (not with the intent to just respond).  If one is tired or in a hurry, this is difficult to do.  It doesn't mean to agree with someone.  It means that they have a perspective or a point that is important to them.  You may come from a different place with a different perspective.  Stating another perspective may not be a way to connect.  Try to understand why the other person is saying what they are saying.  Just by finding out that...we may connect and start to come together.  

A couple of points about dementia.  There are resources out there.  One handbook that I found is The 36-Hour Day. The 36-Hour Day, sixth edition: The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book): Mace, Nancy L., Rabins, Peter V.: 9781421422237: Amazon.com: Books It outlines numerous help resources.  Getting a doctor that is knowledgeable about dementia and geriatric care is paramount. Monitoring safety, food, medicine Rx, etc is a given.  One person cannot handle the job.  Take a break and recharge.  

My mother=in=law had both depression and dementia.  At one point she began hitting my wife, her daughter.  Know what to do in that situation.  We got my MIL to the emergency room.  The whole story goes on and on.  Good luck all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Hey Matt, I have talked to him some and sent him some gun video. Hope you are doing well with the new job.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hey Matt, I have talked to him some and sent him some gun video. Hope you are doing well with the new job.

Good deal.  He was struggling for a bit with the cold snap and winter storm.  Being cooped up isnt easy. 

Job is great! Glad I stayed the course.  I know I questioned my decisions but god answered my prayers and I finally got my big break!

Archived