ACC - B1G Challenge

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, the ONLY point I was talking about was getting in the tourney and what we’ve done so far in that regard. 

We’ve had a sum total 1 game that will help us get in the tourney, the FSU game. Our schedule is ridiculously weak heading into the FSU game. 

I am not saying anything bad about the team - you play the games on the schedule — and to the team’s credit they’ve done that very well, no bad losses,no stumbles and the schedule is getting harder fast. Now they need to get some road wins against weaker teams and hold home court 

I just don't think that's all that accurate to say FSU is the only game so far that will get us in the tournament.  In addition to quality wins, you also really need 20+.  In that regard, every win helps get you in the tournament.

Look at last year - we had more quality wins than any other bubble team, but considering who made the tournament ahead of us, we would have been better off playing 2-3 more easy wins earlier in the season.  That would have gotten us in without question.

There will be plenty of opportunities to have good wins in December and in conference, but you need those AND 20+ aggregate wins on the season to get in the tournament.  This is precisely why IU's schedule looks the way it does this year. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I just don't think that's all that accurate to say FSU is the only game so far that will get us in the tournament.  In addition to quality wins, you also really need 20+.  In that regard, every win helps get you in the tournament.

Look at last year - we had more quality wins than any other bubble team, but considering who made the tournament ahead of us, we would have been better off playing 2-3 more easy wins earlier in the season.  That would have gotten us in without question.

There will be plenty of opportunities to have good wins in December and in conference, but you need those AND 20+ aggregate wins on the season to get in the tournament.  This is precisely why IU's schedule looks the way it does this year. 

No offense - crimson glasses. 

I said our guys did well handling the teams they’ve played but it’s a really weak schedule. We need more good wins - and yes we’ll get the opportunity

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think the LaTech win counts for a little. Obviously.not a game.changer. but that is a "decent", if not good win.

I am typing this as LaTech just.knocked.off Mississippi State.

Not a huge win for us, but I do thing it moves the needle more than the other wins, prior to FSU.

La Tech is solid.

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No offense - crimson glasses. 

I said our guys did well handling the teams they’ve played but it’s a really weak schedule. We need more good wins - and yes we’ll get the opportunity

None taken - I get where you're coming from, but I really don't think I"m looking at this from a biased point of view.

The trends of the last few years suggest you need a certain number of wins to make the tournament regardless of strength of schedule or the number of quality wins you have.

IU's out of conference schedule this year is clearly a calculated response to what happened last year.  All the wins we have so far help get us in the tourney; they just do it in different ways.

Not to harp much on the PU vs UVA game because UVA has possibly the worst offense I've ever witnessed but I did stroll over this morning to the UVA message board and got a big laugh out of this comment made;

ArmyCav
Posted on Dec 4th, 11:55 PM, , User Since 109 months ago, User Post Count: 1,878
  • Dec 4th, 11:55 PM
  • 109 months

"One more thing. I don’t think I’ve seen a student body any uglier than Purdue's."

Posted on Dec 4th, 11:55 PM, , User Since 109 months ago, User Post Count: 1,One more thing. I don’t think I’ve seen a student body any uglier than Purdue's.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not to harp much on the PU vs UVA game because UVA has possibly the worst offense I've ever witnessed but I did stroll over this morning to the UVA message board and got a big laugh out of this comment made;

ArmyCav
Posted on Dec 4th, 11:55 PM, , User Since 109 months ago, User Post Count: 1,878
  • 109 months

"One more thing. I don’t think I’ve seen a student body any uglier than Purdue's."

Posted on Dec 4th, 11:55 PM, , User Since 109 months ago, User Post Count: 1,One more thing. I don’t think I’ve seen a student body any uglier than Purdue's.

Maybe they're not so bad after all. 

31 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

ArmyCav
  • 109 months

It's nice to see we are not the only ones that see it that way

15 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

None taken - I get where you're coming from, but I really don't think I"m looking at this from a biased point of view.

The trends of the last few years suggest you need a certain number of wins to make the tournament regardless of strength of schedule or the number of quality wins you have.

IU's out of conference schedule this year is clearly a calculated response to what happened last year.  All the wins we have so far help get us in the tourney; they just do it in different ways.

I'm not disagreeing on the win total but it wasn't IU's difficult non-conference schedule that did them in last year.  It was the conference record of 8-12 that kept us out.

2 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I'm not disagreeing on the win total but it wasn't IU's difficult non-conference schedule that did them in last year.  It was the conference record of 8-12 that kept us out.

I can't argue that's where IU's worst losses came from last year, and I'm not; I'm simply saying that even these weak non-conference wins do, in fact, play a part in getting into the tournament, and IU is just stacking the deck in their favor should we become a bubble team.

After Florida State, IU stands a very good chance of going undefeated in non-conference with wins over decent to good teams, ND, Arkansas, and FSU.  That's 11 wins.

Even if IU goes 8-12 in conference again (I think they'll be better than that this year), that's 19 wins on the year.  Last year, we were one win away from going to the tournament. 

Would 19 wins get us in this year?  I'm not sure, but it would have last year, and these easy wins early in the year allow the team to gel, become more comfortable in Archie's system, and allow the freshmen to get comfortable playing in college while accruing wins.

I love seeing marquee out of conference matchups, but I'm glad we didn't do it this year.  I think the team will be plenty good enough in the coming years to add some of those types of games.

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

I can't argue that's where IU's worst losses came from last year, and I'm not; I'm simply saying that even these weak non-conference wins do, in fact, play a part in getting into the tournament, and IU is just stacking the deck in their favor should we become a bubble team.

After Florida State, IU stands a very good chance of going undefeated in non-conference with wins over decent to good teams, ND, Arkansas, and FSU.  That's 11 wins.

Even if IU goes 8-12 in conference again (I think they'll be better than that this year), that's 19 wins on the year.  Last year, we were one win away from going to the tournament. 

Would 19 wins get us in this year?  I'm not sure, but it would have last year, and these easy wins early in the year allow the team to gel, become more comfortable in Archie's system, and allow the freshmen to get comfortable playing in college while accruing wins.

I love seeing marquee out of conference matchups, but I'm glad we didn't do it this year.  I think the team will be plenty good enough in the coming years to add some of those types of games.

Agree, especially about the team gelling part which can't be overstated.  This team needed to win early for confidence moving forward.  8-12 again won't be good enough.  I think we have to finish at least 10-10 which I actually think is the floor for this team.  Win road games like tomorrow at Wisky and we could go something like 14-6. 

9 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

If we're 19-13 on Selection Sunday vs 17-15, and the only difference being 2 non-conference wins vs losses, do they still keep us out? Maybe, but it makes the decision even harder. 

12 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

We also have another non conference game on a neutral site against UCONN.

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If we're 19-13 on Selection Sunday vs 17-15, and the only difference being 2 non-conference wins vs losses, do they still keep us out? Maybe, but it makes the decision even harder. 

I don't know but I don't want to find out.  We may limp in as an 11 or 12 seed with a record like that.  8-12 again wouldn't be good enough for me as a fan. 

1 minute ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't know but I don't want to find out.  We may limp in as an 11 or 12 seed with a record like that.  8-12 again wouldn't be good enough for me as a fan. 

Agree, although my question was more of a what-if for last year, not a look forward to this year. 

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

It's kind of hard to really delve down here into what is going to count for tourney selection, partly because that changes all the time. I don't really see a trend in anything. One year it's SOS, the next is something else.

The point I'm making here  though is pretty much one that always applies to tourney selection. You need to have good wins and you need to avoid bad losses. We have 1 good win so far. If we had lost any of those games they would've been bad losses for tourney selection purposes. When you look at the other teams vying for tourney selection, if you have a really weak non-con schedule as we have, that does not compare well with teams that have stronger schedules and equal wins, of which there are plenty of teams. Can't look at it in a vacuum, we've started off well, really by avoiding bad losses and winning the 1 that stands out, and going forward to avoid fighting for a bubble spot, we need to win the games that stand out and hold serve in games we should. That's keeping it simple, and it works.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

34-0 and I think we'll just slip in, primarily because we would win the BTT in that scenario.

If that occurs we'll be a 5 seed playing in Cleveland against 12 seed Dayton (always under-seeded), followed by 4 seed Ohio State.Then regional against 1 seed Louisvlle and 2 seed Kentucky.  

Archived