ACC - B1G Challenge

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They also were only giving up 40 a game and we crushed that lol. 

Virginia is the first ranked team in the shot clock era to score fewer than 50 points in three straight games, and 40 points matches the fewest points scored by a top-five team in the shot clock era. In other words, Wednesday night was a historically bad offensive night for Tony Bennett's Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers don't get to the free-throw line, they're one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the country -- but by volume and percentage -- and they simply don't have a lot of guys who can go and get their own shot.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28227574/what-happened-virginia-ohio-state-big-ten-best

It was a good win, but Virginia is NOT a top 10 team. At this point, they probably aren't a top 20 team. Not saying it won't be a good win come March, but Virginia was basically the most over rated top 5 team since the shot clock.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I agree with you. MSU and other teams get some of their ratings based upon reputation, which I totally understand. I think Izzo knows his team has some issues and that is why he was pushing so hard to get Hauser eligible. As we all know the real measuring stick is what you do on the court. I think we are a much better team than our rating and in my opinion it would be better for us to stay under the radar for a while. I hope we can get healthy and do some damage in the Big 10 and the tournament. Go Hoosiers!

This.......>>>>>>I think we are a much better team than our rating and in my opinion it would be better for us to stay under the radar for a while. I hope we can get healthy and do some damage in the Big 10 and the tournament. Go Hoosiers!

....and the key here is "stay under the radar for a while"....

3 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

They're a one man team this year with Cole Anthony. After watching that game last night, imagine if they didn't have him. 

I really really believe a one man team is a recipe for disaster.  Only twice in my life time have I seen a  successful one man team.  Ironically, one with the same initials and last name... Carmelo Anthony for Syracuse.  And even more so, Danny Manning for Kansas.  Two players who put their teams on their shoulders and won NCAAT champioships.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I really really believe a one man team is a recipe for disaster.  Only twice in my life time have I seen a  successful one man team.  Ironically, one with the same initials and last name... Carmelo Anthony for Syracuse.  And even more so, Danny Manning for Kansas.  Two players who put their teams on their shoulders and won NCAAT champioships.

I wouldn't say Carmelo was a one man team because they had some other good players.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

This.......>>>>>>I think we are a much better team than our rating and in my opinion it would be better for us to stay under the radar for a while. I hope we can get healthy and do some damage in the Big 10 and the tournament. Go Hoosiers!

....and the key here is "stay under the radar for a while"....

I would disagree with that a little, because staying under the radar would mean something like 3-2 or 2-3 over the next 5. It basically means losing some games. If IU goes 5-0 or 4-1 over the next 5, they won't be under the radar. At 13-0 or 12-1, with 5-6 wins over power conference teams, IU is probably a top 10-12 team. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would disagree with that a little, because staying under the radar would mean something like 3-2 or 2-3 over the next 5. It basically means losing some games. If IU goes 5-0 or 4-1 over the next 5, they won't be under the radar. At 13-0 or 12-1, with 5-6 wins over power conference teams, IU is probably a top 10-12 team. 

I guess  I can explain myself a little better. I would not want the poles to bump us up too high too early if we do pull out a victory over Wisconsin Saturday......JMHO

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I guess  I can explain myself a little better. I would not want the poles to bump us up too high too early if we do pull out a victory over Wisconsin Saturday......JMHO

My personal opinion.  Seeing as how Wisconsin has performed  so far this season. A loss would do more harm to IU, than good as a result of a victory over the Badgers.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah that’s kind of a dilemma - but at this point our guys need wins to get into tourney discussion - i’m Not concerned about rankings but do want our guys to position themselves for a tourney run - starts now 

"Need wins to get into"..........You don't think we've done enough to warrant tourney discussion yet?  

How many teams are in your tourney?  With a top 20 Kenpom rating, which we have, we should at least be in the discussion if only 16 teams were invited.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

"Need wins to get into"..........You don't think we've done enough to warrant tourney discussion yet?  

How many teams are in your tourney?  With a top 20 Kenpom rating, which we have, we should at least be in the discussion if only 16 teams were invited.

I Lunardi had us as a #11 seed last week

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

According to KenPom, UK has a SOS exactly 1 spot better than ours.  And the Cats have a very bad home loss.  No one is saying UK has to do more to enter the tourney discussion.

Sometimes pre-season perceptions hold on for way too long.

This reminds me of the year IU upset and beat pUKe at Bloominton. Up until that game, IU was not getting any love. But after that game, it propelled the Hoosiers in the rankings.

39 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Uhm, Kenpom had us at 31 before the FSU game. Just saying.

KenPom ranking is by no means accurate right now and is not what will get us in the tourney. 

The simple reality is we have had an extremely light schedule until the FSU game — losing any of those games would have hurt our chances of making the tourney, winning them did not help, period, except for the FSU game.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The simple reality is we have had an extremely light schedule until the FSU game — losing any of those games would have hurt our chances of making the tourney, winning them did not help, period, except for the FSU game.

I'm assuming your context is in the form of getting selected for the NCAA. And I agree.

But winning becomes a habit, builds confidence, and IMO gets us in the correct mindset of playing together, creating chemistry, finding our roles, etc. From this context winning those cupcake games set us up to beat FSU, and hopefully many more.

As far as being under the radar, I don't think the media will toot our horn very much until we beat someone like an OSU, or MD. We will be on the radar, but I doubt if we'll be high on the radar until that happens. Personally I don't think the W/L column means much to the media as it once did. They have their favorites and they will make excuses when their favorites lose, and downplay the accomplishments of those they don't care for. Much like the "color" commentator on TV last night for the IU game. Very biased in favor of FSU with his comments. That's why I listen to Fisch. He tells it like it is...good, bad, & ugly.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm assuming your context is in the form of getting selected for the NCAA. And I agree.

But winning becomes a habit, builds confidence, and IMO gets us in the correct mindset of playing together, creating chemistry, finding our roles, etc. From this context winning those cupcake games set us up to beat FSU, and hopefully many more.

As far as being under the radar, I don't think the media will toot our horn very much until we beat someone like an OSU, or MD. We will be on the radar, but I doubt if we'll be high on the radar until that happens. Personally I don't think the W/L column means much to the media as it once did. They have their favorites and they will make excuses when their favorites lose, and downplay the accomplishments of those they don't care for. Much like the "color" commentator on TV last night for the IU game. Very biased in favor of FSU with his comments. That's why I listen to Fisch. He tells it like it is...good, bad, & ugly.

Yes, the ONLY point I was talking about was getting in the tourney and what we’ve done so far in that regard. 

We’ve had a sum total 1 game that will help us get in the tourney, the FSU game. Our schedule is ridiculously weak heading into the FSU game. 

I am not saying anything bad about the team - you play the games on the schedule — and to the team’s credit they’ve done that very well, no bad losses,no stumbles and the schedule is getting harder fast. Now they need to get some road wins against weaker teams and hold home court 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, the ONLY point I was talking about was getting in the tourney and what we’ve done so far in that regard. 

We’ve had a sum total 1 game that will help us get in the tourney, the FSU game. Our schedule is ridiculously weak heading into the FSU game. 

I am not saying anything bad about the team - you play the games on the schedule — and to the team’s credit they’ve done that very well, no bad losses,no stumbles and the schedule is getting harder fast. Now they need to get some road wins against weaker teams and hold home court 

I agree, however I see this as an eye candy versus reality situation! IU has been climbing the statistical analysis polls in spite of the weak schedule! The writer and coaches polls are more about eye candy! (Who importantly have you beat) To your point FSU was the first eye candy test! (passed very well by the way) Not sure anymore what is more important to the selection committee, either way at this moment I think IU is sitting pretty good!

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

KenPom ranking is by no means accurate right now and is not what will get us in the tourney. 

Based on the comparitive schedule strengths, and the lack of a loss, let alone a bad one. IU is more deserving of tourney consideration than UK.  That's not even up for debate.

Archived