Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Indykev said:

2 fouls in less than a min. DeRon got the pt he deserved.

Once the large Iron Curtain enforcer was out of the game, De'Ron and Joey were pretty much done. They aren't going to get a ton of time against small ball lineups, especially De'Ron. They will each have their moments to shine against teams with more size or plodding bigs. The two quick fouls didn't help but they just highlighted the mismatch and made the decision easier for Archie.

8 hours ago, coachv said:

or...green is a point guard and it shows

Green had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. He had a great scoring and shooting night and is rightly getting props for that.  He has shown consistently that he is not a press breaker and makes bad decisions when trapped.  He is the epitome of a 2 guard. 

I've come to the conclusion that despite your user name, you don't know much about the game and likely never even coached in a YMCA rec league. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am trying not to get to excited about this team since we all remember starting 11-2 last.  Saying that, this team just has a different feel to it and they seem to be a more together team than last years team.

Exactly- we outplayed ranked Marquette on Natl TV last November- draining 3s - great crowd-and controlling the game... so I’m staying guarded for now. BUT this roster seems better. When there’s a substitution Instead of losing confidence I instead find myself feeling excited to see the new guy play!

Hamilton, known for his stingy defenses, credits longtime IU coach Bob Knight with helping form his defensive philosophies.“Coach Knight, in my opinion was, gosh, he was the man in college basketball,” Hamilton told seminoles.com before the game. “I had two books that I read a lot of. One was the Bible. The other was his defensive book.“I can remember, as a grad student, just looking at that book and reading it and hanging all my defensive thoughts on everything that I read.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2019/12/04/indiana-defeats-fsu-in-basketball/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/no-19-florida-state-basketball-falls-at-indiana/ar-BBXJbna

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Defense creates offense= Coach Archie Miller

I know he focused on defense first and tough D is what he's known for but I am very thankful to not see the 52-48 grinders that Wisconsin and Virginia are famous for.  I don't care if it won Virginia a national title...this IU team is much more fun to watch. 

Speaking of that...when/where is the replay?  I want to put that one in my DVR library.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fisch and Suhr got it.  The sequence went something like:

Fisch: "....not sure there was much contact there."
Suhr: "That's...questionable."
*jumbotron replay shows, fans go insane*
Fisch: "No contact at all.  AT ALL. Unbelievable."

Nothing beats a pissed off Fisch's "unbeleivable!"

That guy is a freaking treasue.

We started the season 12-2 last year. At one point we had a 3-4 game stretch where we won each game by a basket (Louisville, NW, Butler, Penn State). Those wins just felt lucky and unsustainable. 

This team "feels" different so far. I don't think anything will feel lucky. The offense is so much more stable. The defense is rock solid. Can't wait to watch the season unfold. I hope we dont only get TJD for one year because that kid is a program changer for us right now. 

10 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

We started the season 12-2 last year. At one point we had a 3-4 game stretch where we won each game by a basket (Louisville, NW, Butler, Penn State). Those wins just felt lucky and unsustainable. 

This team "feels" different so far. I don't think anything will feel lucky. The offense is so much more stable. The defense is rock solid. Can't wait to watch the season unfold. I hope we dont only get TJD for one year because that kid is a program changer for us right now. 

The offense is moving so much better this year. Last year it was stand around and watch a guy dribble for 25 seconds.  Romeo always just stood in the corner when he didn’t have the ball.  Nobody is doing that now, hard cuts, constant movements, it’s fun to see.  Now passing still needs some work but they are going in the right direction.  This time that Armaan is getting is priceless for not only the rest of this season but for years to come.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Nothing beats a pissed off Fisch's "unbelievable!"

That guy is a freaking treasure.

Fisch knows more about college basketball than most of the so called "analysts". I just wish he would do the games by himself, it would be much more entertaining IMO.

27 minutes ago, DWB said:

Fisch knows more about college basketball than most of the so called "analysts". I just wish he would do the games by himself, it would be much more entertaining IMO.

Fisch has probably forgotten more about college basketball than some analysts know.

Although I think he works better with a partner. He and Buck can be hilarious at times during football games.

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

The interesting thing is our D has been behind our O (in an odd twist). I think that's more a product of missing guys, like Rob in particular. 

Last night was a major test -- still a home game, but a test we nonetheless passed with flying colors. 

Next test is how the team looks in an unfriendly road game environment. So now we know we can win and win well at home against a strong team. How well do we play in Wisconsin, etc.? 

I think the team is looking like it's really coming together and for the most part has played consistently well. I still don't think we're fully there yet and really hope to see Rob back on the floor soon -- sooner the better. But I'm gaining a feeling of confidence in this team's ability to sustain its play, and your comments about the close games last season are on point. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The interesting thing is our D has been behind our O (in an odd twist). I think that's more a product of missing guys, like Rob in particular. 

Last night was a major test -- still a home game, but a test we nonetheless passed with flying colors. 

Next test is how the team looks in an unfriendly road game environment. So now we know we can win and win well at home against a strong team. How well do we play in Wisconsin, etc.? 

I think the team is looking like it's really coming together and for the most part has played consistently well. I still don't think we're fully there yet and really hope to see Rob back on the floor soon -- sooner the better. But I'm gaining a feeling of confidence in this team's ability to sustain its play, and your comments about the close game are on point. 

Along with the road test, I think the other test will be whether IU can generate enough offense to win in close games against really good teams when we're not getting the whistles we have been getting. Is the offense efficient enough to win a game at Wisconsin if we don't shoot 10+ more free throws than the other team? I would be pretty surprised if we shoot our average of 29ish free throws on Saturday. Can we still win if that number is closer to 15-18?

One other note on the game, outside of early in the second half when they go open for some 3's, I thought IU's transition defense was fantastic, something that is really important against a team like FSU. Many of our turnovers weren't live ball turnovers, which was a good thing, but even when they were, guys sprinted back, communicated and we generally forced them back into the halfcourt. That was really huge in this game. 

Defense just looks so much more solid.  You can tell the added time in Archie's system is making a difference.

The squeaks on the floor from the short, choppy closeouts are very audible -- especially at the beginning of the game (it lagged towards the end, and so did our defense at times -- correlation).  Also, as the announcers noted a few times, the compressing of the driving lanes was wildly impressive.

FSU seems to be a poor 3pt shooting team per the announcers referencing some of their prior woes, so this seemed like a game tailor made for the pack line to perform well.  I'm still not totally sold on it as a defense, especially one to go far in March when 3pt shooting reins supreme, but last night was impressive to say the least.

37 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Thrilled with the win, but also guarded in my optimism since we drubbed a similarly ranked Marquette team last December before our great slide.

I won't count on us beating Wisconsin, but if we take care of Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Arkansas and possibly UConn I would be very satisfied. 

If we do that we will be ranked in the top 15...maybe 10.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Along with the road test, I think the other test will be whether IU can generate enough offense to win in close games against really good teams when we're not getting the whistles we have been getting. Is the offense efficient enough to win a game at Wisconsin if we don't shoot 10+ more free throws than the other team? I would be pretty surprised if we shoot our average of 29ish free throws on Saturday. Can we still win if that number is closer to 15-18?

A couple of years ago, I think it was Michigan that played at Wisconsin and attempted exactly 0 free throws.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

With how aggressively we go to the rim, I expect (or hope) our FT rate remains high even on the road. Not necessarily 30 FTA, but we should be shooting 10+ more FT a game than a perimeter oriented team no matter the venue. 

Now I will sit back and wait for Big Ten officials to bone us anyway.

Just watched the 60 min rerun on btn.  So in the fsu comeback, devonte deserves as much blame on turnovers as Al did struggling to get it up the floor.  3 times from 12 to 5 minutes to go Devonte was careless in the half court or trying a 2/3 court lob to Brunk.  It was still a 3 point game around 6 minutes.  CAM sat Al and really the guys just started taking care of the ball finally, while hitting shots,  getting  every rebound and 50/50 ball.  Think it was 56-59 around 6 and the rest was history.  

Archived