Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

Big win for the team with potential NCAA tourney implications in March. I'll echo what a couple others said but to win by 16 vs that type of team (while missing 15 FT's) is very encouraging. Plenty of contributors. Besides the obvious Green, TJD.....I felt last year Franklin could hit the ground running but I'm even more impressed now. Hopefully Damezi has turned the corner for minutes and I know eventually Hunter will too.

Glad to see the fans rocking in the Hall again too! 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Basketball is a game of readiness. You have to be ready to play and play well when your number is called. If not, you ride the bench. He hasn't played well when he's been in games. The season is just getting started now though, so he'll get his chances. It seems Archie has been holding him back to start to season. I've seen him talking to guys on the bench. So I think he'll be ok. Injuries have plagued him.  

Davis was easily the slowest player in the gym last night. He's not built nor wired to effectively contribute to the speed and intensity of that type of game. Coach knows it, and Davis knows it..... FSU's coach had the same issue and quickly pulled/sat his bigs as well. They couldn't keep up, picked up quick fouls and were quickly rendered ineffective. 

CAM shares a piece of the game ball.  When they cut it to 3 he benches Al, goes with the frosh combo-ish guard to break the press.  Goes with Demezi who really hasn't been dependable.  Gutsy coaching.  

Gleas mentioned Al playing well the first 10 minutes.  I've noticed if he hits a really tough shot early you can almost guarantee some bad shots and decisions coming quickly.  I love the confidence he is playing with.  Plays his tail off.  Out of position.  Just play within your capabilities and take what is given.  

This game was all about Archie, and the culture he has built.  This team is playing hard, and IU controlled this game by being aggressive.   38 FT attempts to only 16 for FSU, and they outrebounded them 35-26.  This is a FSU team known for being aggressive and not losing on the boards, and IU beat them at their own game.  If IU continues to play like this and continue to get to the line at this rate, they will definitely be a tourney team and will likely be a top 5 team in the Big10. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Hamilton was quite complimentary of our players, our coach, and our fans after the game...high praise...

You don't hear much about him, but you're dead on the money.  Leonard Hamilton is a solid coach.  500+ wins, 2x ACC coach of the year, 2x Big East (the old Big East) coach of the year.  And over his years at FSU, he doesn't have a down year very often.  20+ wins in 8 out of his last 10 seasons, one Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s and an ACC tournament championship.  Not bad for a football school.

Make no mistake, they don't carry the name value of a Duke or UNC, and they don't have the legacy (recent or otherwise) of Virginia or Syracuse, but that's a solid program we beat last night. 

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Davis was easily the slowest player in the gym last night. He's not built nor wired to effectively contribute to the speed and intensity of that type of game. Coach knows it, and Davis knows it.....

There will be a time or two this season where we're glad we have De'Ron Davis on the roster.  It wasn't last night, but he'll get a moment or two.

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gutsy coaching. 

That's what I love about Archie.  He'll make the gutsy call, but it isn't rash either.  He can process a situation in a heartbeat and won't hesitate to pull the trigger if he thinks it's the right move. 

Sounds just like a good point guard, and I'm sure that's no coincidence.

9 hours ago, Bushmage said:

I was so tired of being a football school.

I hope we are somewhere in the 20-25 AP rankings this Monday. What a game. We play a level of defense I can't remember playing for 40 minutes in years.

Football team is going to a bowl game! Football team beat Purdue! Football team was ranked this year!

Still a football school. 

Great win last night and was very proud of the fans showing up and being loud and crazy because it sure seemed to help the team.  Don't know what has happened to our free throw shooting the last couple of games because we were shooting them so well earlier.  I have never been so happy for being wrong than I am about Green because a couple of years ago I was ready for him to transfer.  He has worked really hard on playing more under control and making the smarter play with the ball.

The difference with this team, and in this game, was IU's ability to string together defensive stops at a crucial point in the game. When FSU was making a run and the Hoosiers went through a stretch of missed shots and turnovers, they forced FSU into several consecutive TOs (mostly travels) and forced shots. It allowed IU to never surrender the lead. They showed great recognition of defensive concepts and the help defense was really sound - timely but not overreacting.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The difference with this team, and in this game, was IU's ability to string together defensive stops at a crucial point in the game. When FSU was making a run and the Hoosiers went through a stretch of missed shots and turnovers, they forced FSU into several consecutive TOs (mostly travels) and forced shots. It allowed IU to never surrender the lead. They showed great recognition of defensive concepts and the help defense was really sound - timely but not overreacting.

Defense creates offense= Coach Archie Miller

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Great win last night and was very proud of the fans showing up and being loud and crazy because it sure seemed to help the team.  Don't know what has happened to our free throw shooting the last couple of games because we were shooting them so well earlier.  I have never been so happy for being wrong than I am about Green because a couple of years ago I was ready for him to transfer.  He has worked really hard on playing more under control and making the smarter play with the ball.

Not even preaching to the choir on this....more like preaching to Moses, but amazing what can happen when kids stay 4 years, isn't it? 😉

2 hours ago, Shooter said:

I liked them mostly... other than this sequence:

- PBP guy: "Indiana fans are booing, but that was a foul"

- Replay: shows zero contact between Smith and the FSU player

- PBP guy says nothing for a while, while his partner talks about what a terrible call it was. Then finally says something like "well they would have got a put back if they didn't call it, so it was good for IU".

Just acknowledge you were wrong, the fans were right, and move on!

They mentioned at the end of the game how Indiana fans have a high basketball IQ and that showed on that play. They knew it was no foul before the replay on the jumbotron 

2 hours ago, Shooter said:

I liked them mostly... other than this sequence:

- PBP guy: "Indiana fans are booing, but that was a foul"

- Replay: shows zero contact between Smith and the FSU player

- PBP guy says nothing for a while, while his partner talks about what a terrible call it was. Then finally says something like "well they would have got a put back if they didn't call it, so it was good for IU".

Just acknowledge you were wrong, the fans were right, and move on!

Fisch and Suhr got it.  The sequence went something like:

Fisch: "....not sure there was much contact there."
Suhr: "That's...questionable."
*jumbotron replay shows, fans go insane*
Fisch: "No contact at all.  AT ALL. Unbelievable."

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fisch and Suhr got it.  The sequence went something like:

Fisch: "....not sure there was much contact there."
Suhr: "That's...questionable."
*jumbotron replay shows, fans go insane*
Fisch: "No contact at all.  AT ALL. Unbelievable."

Actually the foul call saved us two points because they got the tip in and FSU ended up missing both free throws.  I guess the saying that the ball knows implies to this play.

19 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I didn't get to see much of the game. except the last few minutes. Wife had a B'Day and I treated her to dinner with some friends.

But I am happy with the win and can I say it?

Proud2BAHoosier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever my wife's birthday was going to conflict with an IU game, I filed for divorce a week before.

Archived