Can we...WILL we...Beat Wisconsin on the road?

Did you guys know we were ranked 1st in free throw rate going into the game with FSU? 

And then we used the charity stripe significantly in that game too. CAM said after the game this team is built to win at the line — we’re attacking the rim and glass in part with the objective of getting to the line. 

That likely will not work at Wisconsin where we get hosed by the officiating every year. That will be something to watch 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Did you guys know we were ranked 1st in free throw rate going into the game with FSU? 

And then we used the charity stripe significantly in that game too. CAM said after the game this team is built to win at the line — we’re attacking the rim and glass in part with the objective of getting to the line. 

That likely will not work at Wisconsin where we get hosed by the officiating every year. That will be something to watch 

To add to that, while I'd love for IU to shoot a better percentage from the free throw line than they did against FSU, I'm way more encouraged by the number of attempts than I am discouraged by the percentage. Just the sheet fact of getting to the line 30+ times is a great stat that reverberates much further than whatever the percentage is that we shoot. 

Not that these are the only two options, but I'll take 23-for-38 all day over say 13-for-15. The fact that we're getting teams in so much foul trouble is a huge thing. 

Just now, BGleas said:

To add to that, while I'd love for IU to shoot a better percentage from the free throw line than they did against FSU, I'm way more encouraged by the number of attempts than I am discouraged by the percentage. Just the sheet fact of getting to the line 30+ times is a great stat that reverberates much further than whatever the percentage is that we shoot. 

Not that these are the only two options, but I'll take 23-for-38 all day over say 13-for-15. The fact that we're getting teams in so much foul trouble is a huge thing. 

like the General always said. Make more than your opponent shoots will win you a lot of games. 

56 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think UW was called for like 12 fouls in last nights game

Looks like Wisconsin really only plays 8 guys.  They like to use 30 seconds to take a shot, we like to guard for 30 seconds.  They will not be taking very many good shots.  This Wisconsin team is not very good.  So long as some walk on Amish kid doesn't go off for 7-8 from 3, we win in dominating fashion.  

This is a great game for Jerome Hunter to shine.  His length on the hedge will be disruptive.  Hope he bangs a couple of deep threes in transition.  Demezi will continue to look good again too.  Hopefully this will be the first full go for the full team.  

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I need some help on this one. Some have said that you have to be 15 points better than Wisky to get a 1 point win. If I predict we win by 6 do we really have to be 90 points better or just 21? Thanks for the help. IU 71-65

Did not know we have to do math today but I would say that it would be 90

Just a reminder what happened last time. 

Wisconsin basketball: Badgers fall at Indiana in 75-73 double overtime loss 

Yeah it was in the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball.  However, I feel strongly about two things this time around.  IU has a more rounded team than last year, with many more options/weapons. Not as dependent on just two players, like last year.   And Wisconsin has fallen off since last February.  Not predicting.  That's something I rarely do.  Just saying... things are a lot different this season. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Looks like Wisconsin really only plays 8 guys.  They like to use 30 seconds to take a shot, we like to guard for 30 seconds.  They will not be taking very many good shots.  This Wisconsin team is not very good.  So long as some walk on Amish kid doesn't go off for 7-8 from 3, we win in dominating fashion.  

This is a great game for Jerome Hunter to shine.  His length on the hedge will be disruptive.  Hope he bangs a couple of deep threes in transition.  Demezi will continue to look good again too.  Hopefully this will be the first full go for the full team.  

Had the same thought about Hunter shining Saturday...

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Grinch is right. As well as time of the year.

Lest we forget.  Bo resigned  mid season, in December. Over allegations he had an extramarital affair.

Lawsuit filed over Bo Ryan affair

I keep asking myself...."Who would ever want to have an affair with a Grinch ?  "

Just a FYI, what Bo stated in the article is correct, his resignation had nothing to do with the affair. Bo had found out that Barry Alvarez had an agreement in place for Tony Bennett to be the next head coach at Wisconsin and resigned to give Greg Gard a chance to be his successor. Obviously Gard did well enough  to force Barry to offer him a contract. 

Bo's statement:

"My wife, Kelly, and I believed that the university's findings concluded this matter. To be clear, this matter was absolutely unrelated to my retirement many months later. In fact, I timed my retirement intentionally to assure that Greg Gard got his hard-earned opportunity to coach the University of Wisconsin basketball team."

I, for one, am very pleased that Bo's maneuver worked.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I need some help on this one. Some have said that you have to be 15 points better than Wisky to get a 1 point win. If I predict we win by 6 do we really have to be 90 points better or just 21? Thanks for the help. IU 71-65

Wisconsin Margin = Actual Margin - 14

6 = x - 14

(6+14) = X-14+14

21 = X

31 minutes ago, IUPG said:

Just a FYI, what Bo stated in the article is correct, his resignation had nothing to do with the affair. Bo had found out that Barry Alvarez had an agreement in place for Tony Bennett to be the next head coach at Wisconsin and resigned to give Greg Gard a chance to be his successor. Obviously Gard did well enough  to force Barry to offer him a contract. 

Bo's statement:

"My wife, Kelly, and I believed that the university's findings concluded this matter. To be clear, this matter was absolutely unrelated to my retirement many months later. In fact, I timed my retirement intentionally to assure that Greg Gard got his hard-earned opportunity to coach the University of Wisconsin basketball team."

I too am very pleased that Bo is no longer at Wisconsin.  However.  The University did an internal investigation ?  And found no wrong doing ?  Kind of like UNC doing an investigation into fake classes and found nothing wrong.... even after 18 years. Or checking on the "Wheels for Heels" program, and denying it ever existed. 

No. I am not buying it. And here is why.  The lawsuit was filed against BO, five months AFTER, Wisconsin concluded their "investigation."

47 minutes ago, IUPG said:

Bo's statement:

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I too am very pleased that Bo is no longer at Wisconsin.  However.  The University did an internal investigation ?  And found no wrong doing ?  Kind of like UNC doing an investigation into fake classes and found nothing wrong.... even after 18 years. Or checking on the "Wheels for Heels" program, and denying it ever existed. 

No. I am not buying it. And here is why.  The lawsuit was filed against BO, five months AFTER, Wisconsin concluded their "investigation."

My spidey senses say that there's probably some truth to both situations. 

Shows the contradictory nature of human morality as well.  Presuming both situations are true, Ryan's actions regarding Gard were actually pretty noble.  Yet at the same time, he's cheating on his wife. 

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My spidey senses say that there's probably some truth to both situations. 

Shows the contradictory nature of human morality as well.  Presuming both situations are true, Ryan's actions regarding Gard were actually pretty noble.  Yet at the same time, he's cheating on his wife. 

Biggest question. Left unanswered. In my mind, at least.   If the plan was in place.  Why step down in December, rather than waiting till the season was over ?

Just now, milehiiu said:

Biggest question. Left unanswered. In my mind, at least.   If the plan was in place.  Why step down in December, rather than waiting till the season was over ?

Because if he resigned at the end of the year, Gard has no footing.  He had no prior record of being a head coach, so if the Bennett rumor is true, Alvarez would have had no qualms about firing the staff and letting Bennett come in clean.  Resigning mid-year, it allows Gard to establish a track record, and put Alvarez into a situation where making the move would be more difficult.

38 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Because if he resigned at the end of the year, Gard has no footing.  He had no prior record of being a head coach, so if the Bennett rumor is true, Alvarez would have had no qualms about firing the staff and letting Bennett come in clean.  Resigning mid-year, it allows Gard to establish a track record, and put Alvarez into a situation where making the move would be more difficult.

This I would say is most plausible.  Timing of it is what brings the affair into consideration and inam sure was part of it but what I know is the plan for Bo did put in place

17 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I give us about a 25% chance of winning in the Call Center. I think some of our fans are in for a rude awakening this weekend. 

I look forward to it! I don’t even know what time the game starts but It won’t define the season if you are right. I have not watched Wisconsin play so I really don’t have a clue how they play this year. I just feel we win this game. I think it will make a big statement of who we are becoming as a program once again. Having flashbacks of Yoder on the sidelines.

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I give us about a 25% chance of winning in the Call Center. I think some of our fans are in for a rude awakening this weekend. 

I have no problem with my confidence.  Knowing we have lost 15 straight at the call center going back to the last win there being 1998.  

Wisconsin has nowhere close to the ability of FSU to bring pressure.  Forget these guys shooting percentages because they always shoot out of their mind.  Just based on what I saw vs NC ST.  The old Wisconsin ball movement and wearing you to death, smh, they don't have it anymore.  This isn't Bo's team walking through the door.  By no means should this IU team go up there thinking this game is in the bag.  The difference is, this team has an edge and they carry the identity of the coach.  I know it's early but I see it already.  

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Good answer. 

And I do know that Bobby Knight did the same at TT.  For basically the same reason. Though he was not cheating on his wife. Chose to pass the baton to Pat.   Still. Aside from health concerns, I have a hard time with a coach who bails on his team, mid season. Kids come to a school and coach who recruited them. There is a reason, they chose a school and coach.  And  a coach and school, who they have spilled sweat, and at times blood to play for.  They deserve more than to be dumped on, mid season.

Archived