Can we...WILL we...Beat Wisconsin on the road?

We can win at Madison if we can protect the ball. Turnovers were one of the few negatives in the FSU game. We had 18 against FSU. With almost 7 minutes to go it was just a three point game but we were able to extend the lead from that point as we only committed one TO in the last 6:45.  We really need to cut down on TO’s as we can’t count on Green hitting fade away three pointers every game.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last 5 games played @ Wisconsin they’ve averaged 29.4 free throw attempts per game. IU has averaged 10.8 free throw attempts per game.

In order from most recent on back.

Wisconsin - 24, 31, 37, 31 and 24. 

IU -                10, 12, 18, 11 and 3. 

So clearly we must get some of that home cooking too when we play them... or maybe not. 

The last 4 games played @ IU (only went back 6 years, so that’s why it’s only 4 games @ IU) they’ve averaged 16.5 free throw attempts per game. IU has averaged 15.5 free throw attempts per game. 

Wisconsin - 25, 14, 23 and 4.

IU -                27, 15, 10 and 10. 

There was 1 BTT game in that timeframe  and it was a 11-9 advantage for Wisconsin.

Fun fact to ponder on. IU has committed less fouls than Wisconsin only 1 time in the last 10 games. It so happened to be that game in 2013-14 season where we gave them their first loss of the season when they were ranked #3 at the time. 

So I’m going to go out on a limb and say our depth is going to be tested tomorrow with the huge foul discrepancy I predict will happen. 

Crean’s system is gone.  He went 3-17 or whatever against them which stops being a coincidence after awhile.  It’s explainable due to  Indiana lacking fundamental discipline playing a sound team. Crean even struggled with them even with squads who enjoyed an overwhelming talent advantage.  Somehow this was allowed to go on at IU for a decade.  I am not sure that there is a stat that summarized the ineptitude and low ceiling for IU under Crean than that stat, with the lack of coaching insight in the Syracuse game being the other.

This discrepancy informs and educates fans not to have a panic attack about recruit rankings.  There’s a cluelessness  to the panicked, alarmist nerds who are good for unintentional comic relief.  

If you want to win consistently, you will have a sound team that’s plays hard and sound.   That of course is part and parcel to culture and demands from veterans to young players.  That’s why Wisconsin kicked IU’s ass even when they had forgettable players and IU had Zeller and Dipo.   

With Crean gone and Archie in, I wouldn’t expect such a one sided series going forward.  

I think we win by 10-15 points. I don't think that Wisconsin can match our depth, especially without the transfer that will play here in a few weeks.

I think that this game will tell us more about our team then the Florida State game. Winning at home in front of a hyped crowd is one thing, winning on the road at a place where we have been remarkably bad is another. I think we've got the parts and coaching to do it. I guess we'll see.

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Crean’s system is gone.  He went 3-17 or whatever against them which stops being a coincidence after awhile.  It’s explainable due to  Indiana lacking fundamental discipline playing a sound team. Crean even struggled with them even with squads who enjoyed an overwhelming talent advantage.  Somehow this was allowed to go on at IU for a decade.  I am not sure that there is a stat that summarized the ineptitude and low ceiling for IU under Crean than that stat, with the lack of coaching insight in the Syracuse game being the other.

This discrepancy informs and educates fans not to have a panic attack about recruit rankings.  There’s a cluelessness  to the panicked, alarmist nerds who are good for unintentional comic relief.  

If you want to win consistently, you will have a sound team that’s plays hard and sound.   That of course is part and parcel to culture and demands from veterans to young players.  That’s why Wisconsin kicked IU’s ass even when they had forgettable players and IU had Zeller and Dipo.   

With Crean gone and Archie in, I wouldn’t expect such a one sided series going forward.  

Crean is gone but it should also help that the Grinch is gone. Gard is no Ryan.

10 hours ago, MPM said:

The last 5 games played @ Wisconsin they’ve averaged 29.4 free throw attempts per game. IU has averaged 10.8 free throw attempts per game.

In order from most recent on back.

Wisconsin - 24, 31, 37, 31 and 24. 

IU -                10, 12, 18, 11 and 3. 

So clearly we must get some of that home cooking too when we play them... or maybe not. 

The last 4 games played @ IU (only went back 6 years, so that’s why it’s only 4 games @ IU) they’ve averaged 16.5 free throw attempts per game. IU has averaged 15.5 free throw attempts per game. 

Wisconsin - 25, 14, 23 and 4.

IU -                27, 15, 10 and 10. 

There was 1 BTT game in that timeframe  and it was a 11-9 advantage for Wisconsin.

Fun fact to ponder on. IU has committed less fouls than Wisconsin only 1 time in the last 10 games. It so happened to be that game in 2013-14 season where we gave them their first loss of the season when they were ranked #3 at the time. 

So I’m going to go out on a limb and say our depth is going to be tested tomorrow with the huge foul discrepancy I predict will happen. 

Good summary. 

Two possibilities 

1 we are a foul happy team that just runs around committing fouls

2 Officiating at Wisconsin is a joke. 

CAM said our team this year is built to get to the free throw line — and it is — but we’re going to have to have at least an alternative strategy at Wisconsin imo 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good summary. 

Two possibilities 

1 we are a foul happy team that just runs around committing fouls

CAM said our team this year is built to get to the free throw line — and it is — but we’re going to have to have at least an alternative strategy at Wisconsin imo 

It is #2.

Dracula was a good coach but the Big Ten refs spotted him 5 to 7 points a game with bull crap officiating. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good summary. 

Two possibilities 

1.Officiating at Wisconsin is a joke.  

Fixed it for you.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder how their crowd will be?  I mean the Badgers are playing the Bucknuts for the B1G football championship at 8PM.  I wonder how many will be absent due to this.  Championship parties and what not.

I think there will be a lot of drinking going on tonight in Madison. Kids drowning their sorrows from two big losses:cheers:

Totally agree, we get hosed on the Wisky officiating.

My question is why? They rotate the officials, most of them we get in AH, and they don't hose our opposition the same way we get hosed in WI. It's not like Wisky has their own home-grown officiating team, and that's the only ones they use....

The magnitude of the difference in officiating Wisky games vs other road games is astounding to me.

Is Wisky paying them off? (kidding...sort of) I don't get it. Do other road teams complain as much about the officials as we do?  I realize that visiting teams don't always get the benefit of the doubt compared to the home team, but Wisky is just so blatant that it's hard to fathom.

28 minutes ago, DWB said:

Totally agree, we get hosed on the Wisky officiating.

My question is why? They rotate the officials, most of them we get in AH, and they don't hose our opposition the same way we get hosed in WI. It's not like Wisky has their own home-grown officiating team, and that's the only ones they use....

The magnitude of the difference in officiating Wisky games vs other road games is astounding to me.

Is Wisky paying them off? (kidding...sort of) I don't get it. Do other road teams complain as much about the officials as we do?  I realize that visiting teams don't always get the benefit of the doubt compared to the home team, but Wisky is just so blatant that it's hard to fathom.

As IU fan we should remember that we got a lot of this home cooking refs for years when RMK was on the sidelines.  If you go back and watch old games you would see how much we got the benefit of the doubt from the refs in those years.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

As IU fan we should remember that we got a lot of this home cooking refs for years when RMK was on the sidelines.  If you go back and watch old games you would see how much we got the benefit of the doubt from the refs in those years.

You're right Scott, but Greg Gard is no Bob Knight, or even Bo Ryan. The home cookin' is as bad under Gard as it ever was.

Archived