Devonte Green and Coach Miller

IUFLA

We've all talked about players adjusting and growing, but I wanted to tip my cap to Coach Miller for the way he's adjusted to coaching Devonte Green.

I think at first he was trying to mold Devonte into something he's not. And Devonte chaffed at that a bit. I remember thinking last year there seemed to be a struggle between them. But I think somewhere along the line late last year, Coach Miller decided to take the shackles off Devonte and just let him play. And it's benefitted the team.

In the presser last night, you could read between the lines a little and see that while some of the things Devonte does just irritates the crap out of CAM, Arch know that this team needs him to make plays. He chuckles saying it, but you can sense how much some of the turnovers and excessive dribbling bugs him.

But he's adjusted to it. And I think the rest of this year is going to be fun because of it...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We've all talked about players adjusting and growing, but I wanted to tip my cap to Coach Miller for the way he's adjusted to coaching Devonte Green.

I think at first he was trying to mold Devonte into something he's not. And Devonte chaffed at that a bit. I remember thinking last year there seemed to be a struggle between them. But I think somewhere along the line late last year, Coach Miller decided to take the shackles off Devonte and just let him play. And it's benefitted the team.

In the presser last night, you could read between the lines a little and see that while some of the things Devonte does just irritates the crap out of CAM, Arch know that this team needs him to make plays. He chuckles saying it, but you can sense how much some of the turnovers and excessive dribbling bugs him.

But he's adjusted to it. And I think the rest of this year is going to be fun because of it...

I think it is a little how Coach Knight later on adjusted to some of his kids. I remember him letting AJ Guyton do a lot of one on one stuff that really wasn’t part of our offense. Kinda similar with this team...going to just be times where we have nobody going and Green is going to have to make it up as we go along. 

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't remember if it was last year or year before but Archie made a comment about Devonte having a little bit of city in him which he likes. To me he was suggesting just a different type of toughness (Disclaimer....this isn't to say city kids or farm boys are tougher,etc....it's just a different type of toughness.) which he really likes and style of play that can be irritating to a coach.

If I'm Archie the good far outweighs the bad so you just let him roll with it. There will be games where Devonte will win the games by himself. Last night was the first one. My guess is he'll have 3-4 like that where everything just goes. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't remember if it was last year or year before but Archie made a comment about Devonte having a little bit of city in him which he likes. To me he was suggesting just a different type of toughness (Disclaimer....this isn't to say city kids or farm boys are tougher,etc....it's just a different type of toughness.) which he really likes and style of play that can be irritating to a coach.

If I'm Archie the good far outweighs the bad so you just let him roll with it. There will be games where Devonte will win the games by himself. Last night was the first one. My guess is he'll have 3-4 like that where everything just goes. 

I think it's a simultaneous case of being too similar and being too different.  In terms of on court play or desired style of play, Archie and Devonte are polar opposites.  Archie is right, Devonte is who he is.  He's got a little of that NYC attitude in his game.  He's going to free wheel it a little.  But as a consequence, his confidence seldom wanes either.  Archie as a player and a coach was/is the opposite...very controlled, very calculating.

The ironic thing, they're both very similar personality-wise.  Neither one is the most naturally outgoing or vocal, but they're both examples that there are many ways you can lead.  You don't become a starting ACC point guard or the captain of a B10 team without some leadership abilities.  They're both quiet, but look in either one of their eyes and you can tell that both of them have a fire that rages below the surface.  And it's in this regard where the magic can happen.  I think Archie and Devonte relate on a certain level, and Archie has figured out the right amount of boundaries to put on Devonte.  He needs some, or he will fly out of control.  But too many, and he'll lose effectiveness. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think it's a simultaneous case of being too similar and being too different.  In terms of on court play or desired style of play, Archie and Devonte are polar opposites.  Archie is right, Devonte is who he is.  He's got a little of that NYC attitude in his game.  He's going to free wheel it a little.  But as a consequence, his confidence seldom wanes either.  Archie as a player and a coach was/is the opposite...very controlled, very calculating.

The ironic thing, they're both very similar personality-wise.  Neither one is the most naturally outgoing or vocal, but they're both examples that there are many ways you can lead.  You don't become a starting ACC point guard or the captain of a B10 team without some leadership abilities.  They're both quiet, but look in either one of their eyes and you can tell that both of them have a fire that rages below the surface.  And it's in this regard where the magic can happen.  I think Archie and Devonte relate on a certain level, and Archie has figured out the right amount of boundaries to put on Devonte.  He needs some, or he will fly out of control.  But too many, and he'll lose effectiveness. 

Couldn't say it any better. 

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it is a little how Coach Knight later on adjusted to some of his kids. I remember him letting AJ Guyton do a lot of one on one stuff that really wasn’t part of our offense. Kinda similar with this team...going to just be times where we have nobody going and Green is going to have to make it up as we go along. 

The announcers thought DG looked like Guyton with the and 1 drive in the 2nd half 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He actually let IT in 81 have some leeway and that totally turned that season around.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Sign of a good coach knowing when and how to reign them in and when to give them all the freedom. 

Agree. It's not so much about shackles being on or off, I think Archie realized he had a talent in DG immediately, but he also recognized that he has to tear him down a bit and then rebuild him so that he could reach his full potential. Sometimes that takes a season or two, and it can be impacted by the makeup of the team, the players willingness to let the coach mold them, etc. 

Either way, if Green keeps this up (not meaning 30 every night) and has a huge senior year, then I think we can all agree that DG deserves a ton or credit and that Archie would have done a masterful job of coaching him to get to this point. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. It's not so much about shackles being on or off, I think Archie realized he had a talent in DG immediately, but he also recognized that he has to tear him down a bit and then rebuild him so that he could reach his full potential. Sometimes that takes a season or two, and it can be impacted by the makeup of the team, the players willingness to let the coach mold them, etc. 

Either way, if Green keeps this up (not meaning 30 every night) and has a huge senior year, then I think we can all agree that DG deserves a ton or credit and that Archie would have done a masterful job of coaching him to get to this point. 

If Green wants to keep dropping 30 a night thru B1G, as long as we win, I'm totally ok with that!!  👌👍😁

One thing that made me chuckle listening to the players post game presser was when a reporter asked Justin what he thought when Devonte is in that zone like last night.

Justin: "I tell him to keep shooting, but I tell him to take good shots"

Devonte: "Every shots a good shot."

Justin (smiling): "Ok" 

4:19 mark...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One thing that made me chuckle listening to the players post game presser was when a reporter asked Justin what he thought when Devonte is in that zone like last night.

Justin: "I tell him to keep shooting, but I tell him to take good shots"

Devonte: "Every shots a good shot."

Justin (smiling): "Ok" 

4:19 mark...

There’s another great moment in that presser:

a reporter asked If it surprised Devonte he was making those off balance 3’s that he threw up with hands in his face. And Devonte said that he practices those. 

the same reporter asks Archie about those shots in his presser. He told Archie that Devonte said he practices them. Archie rolled his eyes and said something like: if Devonte says he practices them, then he practices them, but he better not in my practices. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

There’s another great moment in that presser:

a reporter asked If it surprised Devonte he was making those off balance 3’s that he threw up with hands in his face. And Devonte said that he practices those. 

the same reporter asks Archie about those shots in his presser. He told Archie that Devonte said he practices them. Archie rolled his eyes and said something like: if Devonte says he practices them, then he practices them, but he better not in my practices. 

Lol, yeah, I saw that. Funny stuff.

Here's his 3 point numbers and ppg from the final 7 games of last year and all his games played this year. He picked up right where he left off. 

Date Opponent 3P 3PA 3P% PTS
3/2/2019 Michigan State 3 5 60.00% 13
3/7/2019 Illinois 3 5 60.00% 11
3/10/2019 Rutgers 0 1 0.00% 16
3/14/2019 Ohio State 8 10 80.00% 26
3/19/2019 Saint Francis (PA) 3 8 37.50% 12
3/23/2019 Arkansas 4 9 44.40% 18
3/26/2019 Wichita State 2 7 28.60% 12
    23 45 51.11% 15.43

11/16/2019 Troy 1 6 16.70% 6
11/20/2019 Princeton 2 3 66.70% 16
11/25/2019 Louisiana Tech 3 5 60.00% 16
11/30/2019 South Dakota State 3 6 50.00% 11
12/3/2019 Florida State 5 7 71.40% 30
    14 27 51.85% 15.80

Last 12 Game Totals 37 72 51.39% 15.58

22 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Here's his 3 point numbers and ppg from the final 7 games of last year and all his games played this year. He picked up right where he left off. 

3/2/2019 Michigan State 3 5 60.00% 13
3/7/2019 Illinois 3 5 60.00% 11
3/10/2019 Rutgers 0 1 0.00% 16
3/14/2019 Ohio State 8 10 80.00% 26
3/19/2019 Saint Francis (PA) 3 8 37.50% 12
3/23/2019 Arkansas 4 9 44.40% 18
3/26/2019 Wichita State 2 7 28.60% 12
    23 45 51.11% 15.43

11/16/2019 Troy 1 6 16.70% 6
11/20/2019 Princeton 2 3 66.70% 16
11/25/2019 Louisiana Tech 3 5 60.00% 16
11/30/2019 South Dakota State 3 6 50.00% 11
12/3/2019 Florida State 5 7 71.40% 30
    14 27 51.85% 15.80

Last 12 Game Totals 37 72 51.39% 15.58

And his one bad shooting night (outside his first game this year coming off his injury) we lost. We are going to need good Devonte to carry us to the tournament but I just don’t want us deferring to him too much. We played much better in the first half when everyone was moving the ball and all involved.

Archived