Kalen DeBoer to Fresno St.

KDB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Say he leaves do you promote from within Like Hart or do you go out and hire an established OC from elsewhere.

From the outside looking in, I'd rather go hire someone from elsewhere.  I don't think we can afford to hire a guy who doesn't have any experience.  OC is a position that there are a lot of successful guys at smaller programs looking to make the jump to a bigger school.

Having said that, I'm sure Allen knew the day DeBoer was hired that we probably wouldn't get more than a year or two out of him if he was successful.  Maybe they were having Hart work with him on game planning and play calling so he could learn the ropes.  In that case it wouldn't be that bad of an idea, but I think I would still rather hire from outside.

I'm also a fan of the OC being a QB guy.  The QB is the most important position on the field, so I like those two guys sharing the same mindset.  Not that a former RB can't be that way, there just hasn't been a chance for Hart to show what he would be like as an OC.

40 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

From the outside looking in, I'd rather go hire someone from elsewhere.  I don't think we can afford to hire a guy who doesn't have any experience.  OC is a position that there are a lot of successful guys at smaller programs looking to make the jump to a bigger school.

Having said that, I'm sure Allen knew the day DeBoer was hired that we probably wouldn't get more than a year or two out of him if he was successful.  Maybe they were having Hart work with him on game planning and play calling so he could learn the ropes.  In that case it wouldn't be that bad of an idea, but I think I would still rather hire from outside.

I'm also a fan of the OC being a QB guy.  The QB is the most important position on the field, so I like those two guys sharing the same mindset.  Not that a former RB can't be that way, there just hasn't been a chance for Hart to show what he would be like as an OC.

My worry would be if you bring in someone from the outside and pass up Hart again then he might leave.  I know you can't think that way but I would hate lo loose Deboer and Hart at the same time.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My worry would be if you bring in someone from the outside and pass up Hart again then he might leave.  I know you can't think that way but I would hate lo loose Deboer and Hart at the same time.

I want Hart as happy as possible. He's hit some big targets recruiting wise so whatever we need to do make that happen I'm fine with. Regarding DeBoer. No brainer for him to take Fresno St job and honestly guys this is a huge compliment to us. I hate to have staff turnover but if you do well....these things are going to happen every single year and I'd gladly welcome that "problem". 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that I wouldn't want to lose Hart, but you can get by with a substandard RB coach for a year or two.  You can't really get by with a substandard OC for a year or two.  I love what Hart has done and want to keep him here as long as possible, but only if the situation is right.  Maybe he's one of those guys that has "it" and you can tell he'll be great, but from an outsiders perspective, hiring a first time OC would worry me.  And that would go for Hart or any first time OC.

2 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Boiler...I admire you, man! And I love to give you hell because you're a cool dude in my books.

I could not last week unbanned on a Purdue board. 

Hey man I like to dish it out too but I can handle the heat too haha. I’ve been a Purdue fan mostly amongst IU fans for a good part of my life so it comes with the territory haha. 

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hey man I like to dish it out too but I can handle the heat too haha. I’ve been a Purdue fan mostly amongst IU fans for a good part of my life so it comes with the territory haha. 

What more could be desired than that with a rival fan! Nothing more the way I see it so you go above and beyond IMO. - in voluntarily subjecting yourself to  tolerating us.Lol 

Be aware that you threw a wrench in the "I can't stand a single Purdue fan" - idea I used to strive to maintain 😆 

Damn anomalies  ;) 

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

What more could be desired than that with a rival fan! Nothing more the way I see it so you go above and beyond IMO. - in voluntarily subjecting yourself to  tolerating us.Lol 

Be aware that you threw a wrench in the "I can't stand a single Purdue fan" - idea I used to strive to maintain 😆 

Damn anomalies  ;)

Hey man that’s what I’m going for haha. 

17 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Notre Dame OC Chip Long is expected to pursue other opportunities.  If our OC does leave does anyone have any thoughts on Long as a replacement?

I feel sorry for Chip for having to put up with Kelly for I think 3 years.  I think Brian got in the way a bunch.  That being said the Irish did put up plenty of points.  But it is interesting that Long was an OC for Norvell but with his new gig at FSU didn't get Chip.  But yeah, if Kalen leaves and Chip would accept a pay cut, I would be up for him.  

A name i would like to see us explore is Jorge Munoz.  He is currently on the offensive staff at LSU and was previously the OC at UL Laffeyette with other stops along the way....one of them being my OC at Anderson when I was there.  Dude knows his stuff and i think would be at least worth a look if it comes to it.

Archived