Kalen DeBoer to Fresno St.

KDB

11 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

The 4 coaches listed in the article I think would all be a good fit for Fresno State.  Hoping they focus on one of the 3 that is not Kalen DeBoer though.

I do and I don't. Developing assistants into head coaches is a hallmark of good head coaches. That's the kind of guy top level assistants want to work for.

That said.....i wouldn't shed a tear if DeBoer waits another year or two to take that step either.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

So does he leave immediately, or coach through the bowl?

He will leave immediately. He was a great hire, and we should be able to get another one because of his success. Hopefully the next guy will be here at least a couple of years. But I think Allen should be able to pull in someone great. Please stay away from the retreads. 

26 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

So does he leave immediately, or coach through the bowl?

Thanks coach for a great year. Best of luck to you.  But seeing as you are no longer a Hoosier.  Don't want to see you calling any more plays for IU.

BREAKING: Fresno State expected to hire Kalen DeBoer as coach

One more thing. Please leave your playbook on your way out the door.

25 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Maybe Hart gets a bump up to OC?

I would guess he'll be the OC for the bowl game, but I hope we don't hire him as the full time OC.  And, that is nothing at all against him.  I think he is a great coach, and he has been awesome for us, but as far as being an OC, he is a major unknown.  We can't afford to miss on this hire or we'll be right back to fighting for 6 wins.  If we make the right hire, we could run off a stretch of 7+ win seasons.

Having said that, if we do decide to promote Hart, I will 100% trust Allen in doing it.  Some guys you can just tell have what it takes.  Maybe Hart has been one of those guys and they were planning on having him take over whenever DeBoer left.  It wouldn't surprise me if he worked really closely with DeBoer, so maybe he learned a lot from him and would be a great OC.  The unknown is just what worries me with him.

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We can guess all we want but, at the end of the day, this is in trusting your HC and AD to make the right move.  We've got the money to pay competitively now -- which we didn't for a LONG time, an underrated aspect of Glass's tenure as AD -- so we can get good talent, internally or externally.

any chance or is it a LONG shot

Stinks to lose him but but at the same time when you elevate a program not only do you enter into a different world of recruiting players.....but other schools want your coordinators. These are good growing pains. No doubt Allen will find someone who will have similar philosophical approach to game. 

• KDB changed the title to Kalen DeBoer to Fresno St.
4 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Maybe Hart gets a bump up to OC?

A good performance in the bowl game and I'd say he gets to throw his hat in the ring. No guarantees.

That said, I wouldn't discount him too much.  He's only been a high-major assistant for 4 years, but Hart is a pretty smart guy.  I think I read where he graduated from UM with about a 3.5GPA, which isn't anything to laugh at.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Stinks to lose him but but at the same time when you elevate a program not only do you enter into a different world of recruiting players.....but other schools want your coordinators. These are good growing pains. No doubt Allen will find someone who will have similar philosophical approach to game. 

To quote one of the greatest philosophic insights of the past 30 years......."Mo Money, Mo Problems". 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

I took your statement to mean "Leave what you've built behind". And I'm sure he will, but he'll be taking what's between the ears with him. 

And my apologies for the bold post. Don't know how that happened. Agree with you.  He will take with him, what he brought to IU.  No playbook needed for that. 

Archived