New Deal for Coach Allen

KDB

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That sounds about right

CTA was not worried about using any bargaining chip to get more money. This is his destination school. Not knocking Brohm because it worked but he did have one of his guys intentionally leak to Brohm to UL info to Dakich to get a little more of an upper hand

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

CTA was not worried about using any bargaining chip to get more money. This is his destination school. Not knocking Brohm because it worked but he did have one of his guys intentionally leak to Brohm to UL info to Dakich to get a little more of an upper hand

I mean he had the upper hand regardless. He had so many reasons to go back to UL. Purdue had minimal leverage and had to pay to keep him. Very different situation than Allen/IU as I’m not sure if another school was looking at him like UL was looking at Brohm. 

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean he had the upper hand regardless. He had so many reasons to go back to UL. Purdue had minimal leverage and had to pay to keep him. Very different situation than Allen/IU as I’m not sure if another school was looking at him like UL was looking at Brohm. 

Of course he did. Not so big to be paid as well as he is IMO. I personally don't think UL for football is a step up. Home yes but...I believe that CTA will either retire from INDIANA or get fired I dont see him using it as a stepping stone. If Brohm has success.i could see him leaving for greener pastures.  Nothing wrong with that. I agree the PU had to pony up the money because if you think he is your guy do whatever it takes to keep him.

4 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It makes him 13th.  Fleck got a new deal and Schiano at Rutgers is going to make more.

On the surface, that doesn't sound that great.  But, the raise now puts Allen's salary as comparable to Lovie ($4M), Schiano ($4M) and Chryst ($4.1M).  Previously, he was dead last by over $500K/year. 

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

On the surface, that doesn't sound that great.  But, the raise now puts Allen's salary as comparable to Lovie ($4M), Schiano ($4M) and Chryst ($4.1M).  Previously, he was dead last by over $500K/year. 

It just proves that it wasn't about maximizing the deal, or ego or anything like that.  CTA wants to be at IU and he just wanted a fair deal and I think he got it.  It's a good smart deal for IU too.

5 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It just proves that it wasn't about maximizing the deal, or ego or anything like that.  CTA wants to be at IU and he just wanted a fair deal and I think he got it.  It's a good smart deal for IU too.

That's the kind of guy Allen seems to be, and I think that will keep him here for an acceptable amount of time.  Just make sure it's fair market value, and he'll give you all he has. 

10 years from now (with 9 winning seasons and our first NY6 bowl appearance 😉), if Alabama or Southern Cal or someone on that level breaks the bank for him....c'est la vie.  Wouldn't blame him a bit.  I wouldn't like it, but I couldn't blame him either. But now, at least we don't need to worry about the Ole Miss/Arkansas's of the world. 

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

This is more important IMO.  Have to try and keep and attract one’s assistant coaches.

Josh McDaniels comes to mind for me....I know it's the NFL, but he is paid well there as an assistant/associate head coach. Obviously he stayed because of the potential to take over as HC some day. Maybe we give DeBoer more responsibility along with a bump in pay. Just wishful thinking on my part.....

12 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Josh McDaniels comes to mind for me....I know it's the NFL, but he is paid well there as an assistant/associate head coach. Obviously he stayed because of the potential to take over as HC some day. Maybe we give DeBoer more responsibility along with a bump in pay. Just wishful thinking on my part.....

Only issue with that is Allen is a relatively young head coach.  Making a guy an associate head coach for a few years is more or less a bridge to nowhere.  It might keep him around a few extra seasons, but he's going to know that his next step up isn't here. 

That said, Allen seems like a guy that would be good to work for under that model.  It's ultimately his show, but he doesn't seem like the control freak type. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived