Ruiz vs Joshua 2 - Anyone else watching tomorrow afternoon?

jblaz13

Anthony Joshua wins a 12 round unanimous decision over Andy Ruiz in Saudi Arabia to regain his World Heavyweight Titles.

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder(WBC Champion) fight their February rematch for that belt..

Joshua now likely awaits either the winner of that fight (which would carry the opportunity to become  Undisputed Champion)  - or a possible 3rd fight with Ruiz to break the 1-1  tie in their head to head record.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My questions isn't meant to insult or whatever....but I don't even know who these 2 dudes are. All day yesterday I kept seeing Joshua/Ruiz posts and was interested about their history. Do they have some great rivalry or are their fights genuinely worth it?

It is a lot to unpack and I likely canmot do so completely but like the current state of the sport -I can attempt to set the table for the context you seeking on their rivalries and the interest you mentioned noticing .I will take a jab at it

The essence of your question is also part of the recent  intrigue.

Obviously none of the current crop are true household names(nothing close to what the past greats used to be)  and boxing(particularly the Heavyweight Division) have suffered between lack of great overall and individual talent, and with MMA having bled away so much of the fanbase- especially here in the US -after Lenox Lewis retired.

With UFC in a downslide and boxing on a recent resurgence having several well tested fighters beginning/poised to enter the public conscience :Opportunity and optimism are tge current perception of the sport and the top division.

Anthony Joshua(UK) , Deontay Wilder(USA) and Tyson Fury(UK) are the most recognizable active heavyweights. They have continued to separate themselves, and the appeal is building.Only Fury and Wilder have fought thus far, but all 3 have been engaged in a triad -esque rivalry.

Joshua and Fury are mainstream names in England, but not so much here in the states.Back in June Joshua,  was scheduled to fight against Jarrell Miller(USA) who failed drug tests.

Enter Andy Ruiz(USA), who was a late replacement and longshot underdog.Their fight was set to be Joshua's initial attempt to connect with the US audience and was held in New York.It did not go that way with the relatively less known(world wide) Ruiz knocked Joshua out in a stunning upset..

Fury(a very strong technical boxer)  is viewed and proclaims himself as the lineal champion.He beat Wladimir Klitschko to gain the title , and Klitschko had won the titles vacated in Lewis's retirement - several years back now. Fury was later suspended -also several years back- having never actually lost the title to an opponent. His career resurgence comes at a time when Deontay Wilder - holding the only.major title not involved in yesterday's fight is a great puncher and  Joshua(more a blend of both attributes) are also peaking.

All 3 currently have (arguably) more  talent + marketability  than most anyone over the past 10 plus years, and all are beginnging to scratch the surface of returning the sport to mainstream interest. Stateside appeal are high enough to elevate the division and each has a goal of unifying the titles to settle the division with an Undisputed Champion potentially adding further future appeal by giving the sport a major US audience  draw..

If I have not let you down in clarifying thus far , it is best summed up by the above factors.

Ruiz was basically the Modern day Buster Douglas so now having split with Joshua a 3rd fight may be in the works.For now Joshua essentially salvaged his legacy as a 2nd loss to Ruiz would have likely sent him to retirement.Ruiz( a strong puncher with a great chin) also made history himself -becoming the first Mexican-American Heavyweight Champ ever by beating Joshua. Ruiz came in out of shape yesterday, and lost mainly due to that- having watched myself and knowing he came in 16 lbs heavier after already being overweight.

However the greater good of the sport rests in not only connecting with the US audience but also confirming a true best of the best to help elevate the sport itself. All are in their prime and these fights need to happen before the window closes once again throwing the sport into similar obscurity it has suffered - ever since the last fighters you have heard of.

That is how these bouts have been promoted: A build up meant to set the table for the future of the sport.US fans are the desired "dinner guests".

Fury and Wilder fought to a draw in their first meeting - which many thought he was a clear winner before he was floored twice by Wilder and nearly knocked out late to salvage the belt and avoid a value deflating loss.It was not without controvery and that is helping drive the appeal for that rematch next February.

Multiple high level contenders may not reacue the sport. However it gives any future young star(some other impressive, but even less known fighters of high potential are also currently moving up the ranks ) a big name to add incentive to pursuing a career in boxing as opposed to taking their skills to MMA.

Now time for coffee.If I were more awake I would be a bit more concise..Forgive the cobwebs and poor puns I started this off with. 😆 If this does not clarify things it should have you pointed in thr right direction fill in the remaining blanks.

Most of this post do make up the main talking points though.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

After reading that, I'll start keeping half an eye on boxing again. I remember back when the Tyson/Holyfield or Holyfield/Lewis fights were can't miss events.

After reading that, I congratulate you for even making sense of so many typos, because damn! Lol 

It's cool you were once into watching it too!  

I have looked for every reason to resume caring over the recent years Those fights you named were definitely must-see. I got cussed out for stopping in with 20 or so of my friends and buying Tyson / Holyfield on the family cable box after I moved out of home. Lol 

Tyson, Holyfield and Foreman are actually my favorite heavyweights of all time since I actually watched them on live broadcast in my time. I was always really bummed Tyson never fought Foreman, but that was Don King Promotions for you. lol  Protect that money, and screw the fans. 

Everyone was always so into talking up Ali's obvious greatness  that it and his separate era put me off on actually liking him as a kid, but he was good to his fans. Relatives of mine who met him in person told me he was very  kind and approachable by his fans . 

I hope that the original posts weren't too much of a distraction, and apologies if so.  I have to type much of what I post from my phone.   I can't always go back to correct them all. There are some well written articles out there on the state of the sport, and the division . Better than this big cluster "eff" I left .Best I could do in 10 minutes, though.

I loved boxing. Subscribed to Ring Magazine for years. Favorite fighter of all time? Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor. His 1st fight with Alexis Arguello was the best boxing match I ever saw. Here are the highlights...look at the punch Arguello hits Pryor with at the 6:29 mark of the video. Then watch to the end to see, in my estimation, the greatest finisher of all time...

Archived