Wisconsin post game thread

9 hours ago, Hard Hat said:

He still played.  Should have been out there at the beginning to keep everyone in check for our first road game.  He can get the same minutes but definitely should have been running the show at the beginning.

because until phinisee returns, he's our point guard

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Let said:

I think Miller is a pretty good coach, BUT, he better start playing the right players. Joey B, is just not good enough, Thompson can't play, Davis, should never be allowed out of the paint. When I was coaching, I heard John Wooden speak at a clinic. He said find 7 players and stick with them, somebody asked him if they didn't get tired, he said at first, but not after they played a few games. His teams pressed 40 minutes a game. He said when they beat Kentucky in the championship game, he thought they did look a little bit tired WHEN THEY CUT DOWN THE NETS!!! Why do coaches think they know more than John Wooden? He only won 11 National championships. IU has some pretty good players, Start them, and then PLAY THEM!

interested in who is your 7 for this team? agree with you about brunk. this game an eye opener about him. he looks like he's playing in quicksand

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I see a lot of people that don’t post much here coming out of the woodwork after a loss. 

If you're referring to me(since you just quoted me and said I was overreacting)...you'd be wrong.   I've been here since day one.  You won't find a more diehard Hoosier fan and alum.  

That performance was garbage.  There was nothing positive in that game for us.  We made them look like a Top 10 team with our horrendous defense.  

This team has a too much talent to not show up like yesterday.   I really didn't expect a win @wiscy but I did expect a close game.  

There are 20 plus games left to play! I was traveling an didn’t see the game. It sounds like we didn’t show up to play. Road games in the Big Ten will always be tough no matter who we play. This team is experienced enough that it should know that.I read we haven’t won at Wisconsin in twenty years.how crazy is that. 
I am totally behind Archie, but would be lying if I said I am not concerned about him and this team. 

I was only able to watch the first half and I’ll say: the season is long and I’m not freaking out, but CAM has to be better than this. 

after Brunk got scored on the first time I knew this was going to be a bad match up for him. I love the leadership he brings and I do think he’s a valuable member of this team, but there’s a reason he had unimpressive stats at Butler. Brunk is a situational player and a situational player should not start, especially when Race and Trayce play so well together. 

That, combined with decision not to call a time out sooner after letting a cold team get comfortable shooting is perplexing. 

i don't feel I’m nitpicking because this is not just a one time thing. Cold starts is not a one time thing. I’m not calling for his head but what is the reasoning behind these decisions? I just don’t get it. 

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was only able to watch the first half and I’ll say: the season is long and I’m not freaking out, but CAM has to be better than this. 

after Brunk got scored on the first time I knew this was going to be a bad match up for him. I love the leadership he brings and I do think he’s a valuable member of this team, but there’s a reason he had unimpressive stats at Butler. Brunk is a situational player and a situational player should not start, especially when Race and Trayce play so well together. 

That, combined with decision not to call a time out sooner after letting a cold team get comfortable shooting is perplexing. 

i don't feel I’m nitpicking because this is not just a one time thing. Cold starts is not a one time thing. I’m not calling for his head but what is the reasoning behind these decisions? I just don’t get it. 

I have to admit, this game was a bit of an eye opener in regards to JB.  I thought the difficulties he had against FSU were just their length and athleticism.  But getting beaten repeatedly by the WI bigs was disappointing.  It is only compounded by the fact that DD has been even less effective.

TJD is an outstanding young player but he shouldn't be expected to shoulder most of the load inside.  I'd have no problem putting RT in the starting lineup.

One positive is that DA really appears to be getting more comfortable and confident in game action.

Now if we can just get RP back on the court and keep him healthy (along with everybody else).

Have been saying this all season long — we cannot win in the B1G with that 3 forward lineup starting.

i like that we have developed a “big” lineup. We’ll need it in games against other big lineups or to dominate inside in certain games.

but it should not be our core starting lineup, which absolutely should include Green (off ball, imo). I know CAM has been saying Green isn’t 100 percent, but when the guy comes back and lights up a good team for 30, he’s ready. Come on already.

We need wing play, and that big group does not have the mobility and speed to defend well. And if it isn’t completely obvious now, we need our starting veteran point guard out there and healthy. 

The flip side is that we should expect a healthy Rob soon. We know he’s down to the ankle — a one injury situation as CAM called it. Ankle twists happen to everyone, it will get better soon and then we will FINALLY have the full group. This isn’t going to be a repeat of last season with the ridiculous continuing injuries (though the start feels like it). All of this playing time for our frosh pg makes us deeper, the team will be better, but yeah, CAM needs to rework the starting group — I think he will with everyone back 

9 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

I may regret this once the wine wears off, but I wanted to respond. Arguably one of the worst losses in IU basketball recent history was a 106-56 loss up at Minnesota in 1994, when Coach Knight was still the coach. 1994.  I’ve seen lackadaisical efforts from time to time for the past 20-10-15 odd years. It happens. The year after the last championship, 1987-1988, wasn’t a super great year. It happens. 

It’ll get better. Things will click. I don’t care if they haven’t been recent, but 5 championships makes us storied. It’s part of who we are as Hoosiers. We’ll get #6, and this time I’ll be in the stands at the event. 

Wine and a key board is a dicey proposition.  Hahaha

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

If you're referring to me(since you just quoted me and said I was overreacting)...you'd be wrong.   I've been here since day one.  You won't find a more diehard Hoosier fan and alum.  

That performance was garbage.  There was nothing positive in that game for us.  We made them look like a Top 10 team with our horrendous defense.  

This team has a too much talent to not show up like yesterday.   I really didn't expect a win @wiscy but I did expect a close game.  

A little defensive I’d say. And if I was referring to you I would have included it in my original post. 

Haven't watched the game yet (pressing work stuff), but I do have it recorded and will this afternoon.

Very disappointed with the effort as mentioned on here, and I watched Archie's post game presser. The thing I came away with was our on the court leadership lacks. Justin has been trying, as has Al. But this, for better or worse, is Devonte's team. He's the best player and the co-captain. When you're at home and the crowds behind you, it's easy to get motivated. When the crowd is hostile, then your leader needs to step in and provide motivation. I'm not letting Archie off the hook here either as they obviously weren't well prepared, but on the floor, it has to be Devonte with help from Al and Justin.

And as one poster said above, I think it's time Race started at the 5.

Here is who I would start , point, Rob P, guards Green and Durham, forwards, TJD and J Smith, relief players, Anderson, Franklin, Davis, play these 8, unless you have to put in somebody else. Let these guys develop into a basketball team.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Haven't watched the game yet (pressing work stuff), but I do have it recorded and will this afternoon.

Very disappointed with the effort as mentioned on here, and I watched Archie's post game presser. The thing I came away with was our on the court leadership lacks. Justin has been trying, as has Al. But this, for better or worse, is Devonte's team. He's the best player and the co-captain. When you're at home and the crowds behind you, it's easy to get motivated. When the crowd is hostile, then your leader needs to step in and provide motivation. I'm not letting Archie off the hook here either, but on the floor, it has to be Devonte with help from Al and Justin.

This game with no question was an eye opening.  Big Ten on the road is going be tough, not down by 30 point tough.  The fact that Wisconsin looked more athletic throughout the game correlates to the lack of intensity and focus.  That is on leadership, coaches and players.  They thought they would win just by being IU and 8-0.  

Al needs to step up, he struggles playing fast and in the past two games we need more from him.  Points on the scorecard against Wisc does not paint the picture of forcing and not applying pressure on the ball.

Joey needs to be who he is and be the the muscle on the backline.  He is struggling all around and it seems the staff wants him out there to allow flexibility with Trayce. 

Smith is the kid that has taken the most strides and he is our best defender.  Yesterday, he could of jumped in the lanes and created a few more turnovers changing momentum.  Get easier said than done; however, he has that ability.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Very disappointed with the effort as mentioned on here, and I watched Archie's post game presser. The thing I came away with was our on the court leadership lacks. Justin has been trying, as has Al. But this, for better or worse, is Devonte's team. He's the best player and the co-captain. When you're at home and the crowds behind you, it's easy to get motivated. When the crowd is hostile, then your leader needs to step in and provide motivation. I'm not letting Archie off the hook here either as they obviously weren't well prepared, but on the floor, it has to be Devonte with help from Al and Justin.

Do yourself a favor: don't watch it.

Watch something less painful. Like a Jersey Shore marathon or something.

i never ever stop watching games until the end, but i stopped watching about halfway through the 2nd half.  i didn't think the officiating was a factor at all.  we were just bad in every aspect.  should we just save the travel expenses and not make that trip any more?  just forfeit the game and save money?  waste of time, energy, and budget.  i get it that winning road games in the B1G is very tough, and we can still have a solid season, but it sure would have been nice to be ranked for once.  gonna take quite a bit for that to happen at this point.  i just hope the 10th place conference prediction isn't accurate.  if we lose every road game in conference and a couple at home???

28 minutes ago, Let said:

Here is who I would start , point, Rob P, guards Green and Durham, forwards, TJD and J Smith, relief players, Anderson, Franklin, Davis, play these 8, unless you have to put in somebody else. Let these guys develop into a basketball team.

Just an FYI.  Race Thompson has the second highest Win Shares per 40 minutes and Box Plus/Minus on the team, after Trayce.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I have to admit, this game was a bit of an eye opener in regards to JB.  I thought the difficulties he had against FSU were just their length and athleticism.  But getting beaten repeatedly by the WI bigs was disappointing.  It is only compounded by the fact that DD has been even less effective.

TJD is an outstanding young player but he shouldn't be expected to shoulder most of the load inside.  I'd have no problem putting RT in the starting lineup.

One positive is that DA really appears to be getting more comfortable and confident in game action.

Now if we can just get RP back on the court and keep him healthy (along with everybody else).

Had the same thoughts as you - Brunk should have been pulled a lot earlier. Brunk and DD don’t look like they will be very useful against skilled bigs. Neither of them recover well from hedges either. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just an FYI.  Race Thompson has the second highest Win Shares per 40 minutes on the team, after Trayce.

Race is a household favorite at my home because of his hustle.  We have to be careful with stats because he is being matched up with other team players and it is in limited time.  Sort of like in Baseball the backup with a high average than playing time is granted as it dossnt match the hype.

I do not think that is the case with Race as he should get starter minutes for his hustle alone.  Just a thought to put out there.

Franklin is a kid that is tough as nails and I would like to see along side Green and Rob in the starting lineup along with Trayce, Smith and Brunk/Thompson.

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Race is a household favorite at my home because of his hustle.  We have to be careful with stats because he is being matched up with other team players and it is in limited time.  Sort of like in Baseball the backup with a high average than playing time is granted as it dossnt match the hype.

I do not think that is the case with Race as he should get starter minutes for his hustle alone.  Just a thought to put out there.

Franklin is a kid that is tough as nails and I would like to see along side Green and Rob in the starting lineup along with Trayce, Smith and Brunk/Thompson.

I'm a Race fan as well.  Not saying he should start, but had to question someone that put Davis in the 8 man rotation and left Race out.  

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

The first loss always hurts a bit more.  Wisconsin played way above who they are.  Flush this one and get back on the horse vs UConn at MSG.  The one disappointment was the defense.  That is one aspect that should travel by year 3 of Archie’s tenure   

My take (MHO)......Wisconsin was NOT gonna loose this game....they shot and played WAY beyond who they are........

IU probably had a  little FSU hangover,......may have not taken Wisconsin serious enough due to rescent record,.....got on their heals quickly and couldn't recover.

Flush this game and learn from it......This will NOT be the IU we will see the rest of the year...(MHO).....Next!!

I’m not going to shrug off this loss.  We don’t need to start normalizing losing.  This was a bad loss.  

Sure, it’s only one, but how we respond from here will be telling.  That’s going to be the real story.  And no, I’m not referring to UConn and ND.  It’s about the B1G.  Archie’s likely not getting fired but this is a big year for him.  He hasn’t proven anything yet that would allow him to be comfortable.  

We already have strike one with the 12 out of 13 thing.  Fred and Archie don’t want to be sitting on an 0-2 count with year four coming.  There were ALOT of coaching problems on display yesterday for everyone to see.  There is going to need to be an urgency for Archie this year.  Not do or die, but it’s time to produce in situations like we were in yesterday.   

Archived