Wisconsin post game thread

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not going to shrug off this loss.  We don’t need to start normalizing losing.  This was a bad loss.  

Sure, it’s only one, but how we respond from here will be telling.  That’s going to be the real story.  And no, I’m not referring to UConn and ND.  It’s about the B1G.  Archie’s likely not getting fired but this is a big year for him.  He hasn’t proven anything yet that would allow him to be comfortable.  

We already have strike one with the 12 out of 13 thing.  Fred and Archie don’t want to be sitting on an 0-2 count with year four coming.  There were ALOT of coaching problems on display yesterday for everyone to see.  There is going to need to be an urgency for Archie this year.  Not do or die, but it’s time to produce in situations like we were in yesterday.   

Strike one was getting obliterated in AH by both ISU and FW.

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm a Race fan as well.  Not saying he should start, but had to question someone that put Davis in the 8 man rotation and left Race out.  

Got to think the coaches thought Davis, a Senior would be able to calm the ship and......  This game was eye opening and I agree moving forward hopefully Race get his play.

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As I have stated before, no Dance this year and the natives will be restless......

I think the natives have been restless for years, this is why there is such a strong reaction to games like this.  I think CAM is going to do well here, however,  that is the part of the problem. I think most of us think better days are ahead, we just don't know for sure.  For years RMK would have clunker games, stretches, even seasons.  Fans knew he was capable though.  Losing at home to Stephen F. Austin is a worse loss than this, I bet Duke fans were not as concerned as we are.

Just now, IUDan93 said:

I think the natives have been restless for years, this is why there is such a strong reaction to games like this.  I think CAM is going to do well here, however,  that is the part of the problem. I think most of us think better days are ahead, we just don't know for sure.  For years RMK would have clunker games, stretches, even seasons.  Fans knew he was capable though.  Losing at home to Stephen F. Austin is a worse loss than this, I bet Duke fans were not as concerned as we are.

If Archie had 5 national titles and countless FFs then no we would not be restless either.

I put Davis in my top 8 because of what I saw from him last year. RT is and might be better than Davis, time would tell pretty quickly.  I still say, though, you have to keep your best players out there, there is NOT enough depth for a 10 man rotation.

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

True, and it is easy to overreact.  Most understand when shots are not falling.  It's the defense that should not waiver and the preparation. Can't have that effort especially when you are a non ranked team, haven't been to the tournament in three years.  They don't have the target especially on the road in the BIG.

11 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I see a lot of people that don’t post much here coming out of the woodwork after a loss. 

They are trolls and not IU fans and t happens after every loss.  If you think this site is bad then go to others and see what they are like after a loss.  That is why I only come to this board now because some of the others are just way to over board after losses.

12 hours ago, SteveS said:

Seriously, one of the worst games ever. You are just trolling, you have no clue what you’re talking about. Just go away.

Context- absolutely terrible Wisconsin team, IU supposedly back.  Name for me 5 games in IU history where the team displayed less effort.

Just love the way fans come out n droves after a loss that we usually don't see posting after wins.  People overreact after every loss making it out to be the end of the world.  Yes UW had struggled on the road but if you look at their stats at home this was not that big of a surprise that they came out and hit their shots.

I have said many times Archie was not on the top of my list of hires and was not really excited about the hire.  What I am not going to do is start calling for his head after 2 seasons and 9 games which is not enough time to judge a coach.  If it was then a lot of very good coaches would have never been able to prove how good of a coach they are.  Also I look at the landscape of college basketball I don't see a top notch coach who would be available to come here as a replacement that would be any better.  Unless Donovan is fired and was available I don't see going after another mid major coach.

34 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As I have stated before, no Dance this year and the natives will be restless......

Well, they were picked ninth in the conference by the writers- so the expectation was not there for an NCAA appearance this year, at least from the "experts."

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just love the way fans come out n droves after a loss that we usually don't see posting after wins.  People overreact after every loss making it out to be the end of the world.  Yes UW had struggled on the road but if you look at their stats at home this was not that big of a surprise that they came out and hit their shots.

I have said many times Archie was not on the top of my list of hires and was not really excited about the hire.  What I am not going to do is start calling for his head after 2 seasons and 9 games which is not enough time to judge a coach.  If it was then a lot of very good coaches would have never been able to prove how good of a coach they are.  Also I look at the landscape of college basketball I don't see a top notch coach who would be available to come here as a replacement that would be any better.  Unless Donovan is fired and was available I don't see going after another mid major coach.

It's not that the Hoosiers lost, it was how they lost. Completely non-competitive....

Welp, I was busy with work this week and wasn’t able to watch the FSU game live... Unfortunately I had some free time to watch the game yesterday, lol.

It was wrong to get too high over the FSU win, and it’s wrong to get too low over this loss (although getting shellacked by Wisconsin makes my blood absolutely boil).  Through 9 games, this team is just about what we all expected before the season started - a bubble team looking at around 20 wins and a .500 or so conference record.  We should have the talent to win most of our games at home, but we’ll struggle on the road if Green isn’t shooting well and we can’t get TJD and Smith established inside.  The complete defensive meltdown yesterday was concerning, but Archie’s been saying all season this team’s not where it needs to be on the defensive end.  Not sure why that’s the case, but hopefully they get it turned around in short order...

As a silver lining, I’ve been thinking that Archie was going to stick with this starting lineup until we lost, so hopefully this was the wake up call he needed.  When Rob gets back, I think the starting lineup needs to be Phinisee, Green, Durham, Smith, and TJD.  If Archie wants to insist on going with a big lineup, it needs to be Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, and Thompson.  There’s a reason Butler fans weren’t upset Brunk transferred, and Davis is just unplayable at this point.  

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It's not that the Hoosiers lost, it was how they lost. Completely non-competitive....

Understand that but it is still just one game and people are overreacting to that one loss.  Not saying this is a championship team but if there was a message board in 80-81 season I would love to see how they would have reacted early in that season.  Also remember we are playing without our most important player on this team in RP who also plays the most important position on a basketball team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Understand that but it is still just one game and people are overreacting to that one loss.  Not saying this is a championship team but if there was a message board in 80-81 season I would love to see how they would have reacted early in that season.

The 81 national championship team obviously and I mean obviously had the pieces to achieve at a high level and that was noticeable to most people! Then we had Bobby on the bench so really a very poor comparison to this team and coaching staff. I bet before the tournament that IU would win the national championship in 81 and was paid very well for that prediction 

1 hour ago, bobtcat2 said:

Context- absolutely terrible Wisconsin team, IU supposedly back.  Name for me 5 games in IU history where the team displayed less effort.

There are probably at least three games last year alone that would fit.  This Wiscy team was not bad at home before going on the road, then they had 3 losses away from home. Gard is not a bad coach, he had them ready and locked in. I think our guys were reading the press clippings and got a little full of themselves. This game is not the end of the season, we don’t need to fire anyone, bench anyone or kick anyone off the team. We just need to learn from this debacle and move on to the next game. 

My take: really bad game, disconnected defensively and uncertain offensively...

But: Everything is either medicine or poison and the team decides which it will be...getting beaten that badly can be medicine in that the team can refocus and buy in more fully (kind of like Wisconsin must have after losing toe NC St.) or it can be poison if the team doesn't react well and blames others or doesn't receive the coaching well...This game CAN lead to better ball movement and better defense if they take it as medicine and respond...

Side note: this is about our fourth straight year where our best player has been quiet and generally passive in terms of leadership. 
- This year --> Devonte and Justin Smith
- Last year --> Romeo and Juwan
- Year before --> Rob Johnson and Juwan Morgan
- year before that --> O.G, Rob, JBJ(major exception, Thomas Bryant)

The last great ON THE COURT leader was yogi...this team is missing that piece still. The teams over the past four years have generally been flat and unsure on the road...I think that the coaching staff has recruited in a way that reflects their understanding of that. As we get older in the next season or two and add in gritty personalities like Galloway, duds like this one will be fewer and farther between

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Side note: this is about our fourth straight year where our best player has been quiet and generally passive in terms of leadership. 
- This year --> Devonte and Justin Smith
- Last year --> Romeo and Juwan
- Year before --> Rob Johnson and Juwan Morgan
- year before that --> O.G, Rob, JBJ(major exception, Thomas Bryant)

The last great ON THE COURT leader was yogi...this team is missing that piece still. The teams over the past four years have generally been flat and unsure on the road...I think that the coaching staff has recruited in a way that reflects their understanding of that. As we get older in the next season or two and add in gritty personalities like Galloway, duds like this one will be fewer and farther between

Agree with your point about the team having passive/quiet leaders since Yogi left.  I see a lot of people saying that Archie is recruiting “grittier” players that will give our team the edge and vocal leadership it’s been missing, but I just don’t really see it.  Which players in the 2018-2020 recruiting classes fit the bill of a vocal player with a little bit of nastiness/an edge to him?

The only player in the 2018 class that might have fit that mold was Forrester, and he’s already gone.  TJD and Franklin are solid players, but they don’t strike me as having that edge or being very vocal either.  There was a lot of talk in the preseason about Brunk providing that, but I don’t see it on the court thus far.  Maybe Galloway can in 2020, but Leal doesn’t seem to be that type of player either.  No idea about Geronimo.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agree with your point about the team having passive/quiet leaders since Yogi left.  I see a lot of people saying that Archie is recruiting “grittier” players that will give our team the edge and vocal leadership it’s been missing, but I just don’t really see it.  Which players in the 2018-2020 recruiting classes fit the bill of a vocal player with a little bit of nastiness/an edge to him?

The only player in the 2018 class that might have fit that mold was Forrester, and he’s already gone.  TJD and Franklin are solid players, but they don’t strike me as having that edge or being very vocal either.  There was a lot of talk in the preseason about Brunk providing that, but I don’t see it on the court thus far.  Maybe Galloway can in 2020, but Leal doesn’t seem to be that type of player either.  No idea about Geronimo.

Thats a fair response...I do think that TJD is potentially a good leader in that regard. I think that you should include taking Brunk as part of the effort to improve vocal leadership. I think that once Hunter is comfortable enough on the court for his personality to come out he will help in that regard....Franklin seems a steadier (grittier) competitor in that way as well...maybe Dameezi can have some of that edge as an upperclassman...

Potentially things can get better in that area...that's my hope.

Archived