Wisconsin post game thread

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Tournament in Hawaii.  Remember it well.  Then the switch was turned on with the squad.

Yeap.  It was quite the year.  I was on campus and people whined how we were going to be awful and how we were wasting the talent we had.  People think that everyone loved Knight but there was always a group that didn't and just like now, they came out of the woodwork with bad losses.  

The bottom line is that we are going to lose this year.  We are going to have a another bad loss...along with some good wins.  BUT we are going to lose again this year and some people will take this opportunity to start a #firearchie or #archiesucks movement.  Different generation, same mentality. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Yeap.  It was quite the year.  I was on campus and people whined how we were going to be awful and how we were wasting the talent we had.  People think that everyone loved Knight but there was always a group that didn't and just like now, they came out of the woodwork with bad losses.  

The bottom line is that we are going to lose this year.  We are going to have a another bad loss...along with some good wins.  BUT we are going to lose again this year and some people will take this opportunity to start a #firearchie or #archiesucks movement.  Different generation, same mentality. 

I'm eternally grateful I grew up in the era just before social media took off. 

I'm even more grateful that camera phones were only in their infancy and mostly took grainy, unintelligible photos at that point.  Any evidence against me is now only hearsay. :coffee:

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Missed Rob bad for the Wisconsin game. First game it really showed. Sets the tone defensively on the perimeter. And another guy who can create and make shots on offense. Hope to see him back for Nebraska. Gotta have him if we want this year to go well. 

Meh, this is not aimed at you @5 championships, just the most recent person to say this. 

I am tired of hearing we would have won had we had Rob.  Yes, missing your point guard is tough but we're a high level Division 1 school with a ton of talent who can handle the ball, maybe not as well as Rob but that doesn't change how we played defense.  The lack of time-out called when runs were happening. The poor line-ups and substitutions.  The poor shot selection by the entire team.  And the overall lack of hustle and energy. 

Rob wasn't the same in the second half of the season last year after the injury.  Everyone forgets that and expects him to be the guy form the first half.  Maybe he will be, maybe he won't.  But we need to lay this loss at the feet of the coach and the players who should have curb stomped a mediocre Wisconsin team.  

**This is my opinion only obviously and i am usually wrong, just stating what i feel about this team at the moment.

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Meh, this is not aimed at you @5 championships, just the most recent person to say this. 

I am tired of hearing we would have won had we had Rob.  Yes, missing your point guard is tough but we're a high level Division 1 school with a ton of talent who can handle the ball, maybe not as well as Rob but that doesn't change how we played defense.  The lack of time-out called when runs were happening. The poor line-ups and substitutions.  The poor shot selection by the entire team.  And the overall lack of hustle and energy. 

Rob wasn't the same in the second half of the season last year after the injury.  Everyone forgets that and expects him to be the guy form the first half.  Maybe he will be, maybe he won't.  But we need to lay this loss at the feet of the coach and the players who should have curb stomped a mediocre Wisconsin team.  

**This is my opinion only obviously and i am usually wrong, just stating what i feel about this team at the moment.

When Rob re gained his form from the cuncussion we won 4 straight at the end of the year. when Rob was out last year we lost 12 of 13. Not saying we would of beat Wisconsin with him but it would of been a different game. The PG Is the QB of the team. He sets the pace and tone on both ends of the floor. Hard to win on the road in the BIG without your starting PG

4 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Now that I look I see you have one helluva reputation.  Kinda devalues the whole thing.  😉

I remember all the above too.  I read somewhere that around that time RMK basically handed the keys to the offense to Isiah Thomas and things took off from there. . . mostly.  Landon Turner - all 6'10" of him - didn't get off the bench against Purdue if I recall but by the end of the B10 season they (and he) were a different bunch.  I just watched the second half of the FF against LSU.  Turner took that game over, basically.  

RMK lacked self-awareness in many ways but I think he learned a lesson in '81.  The lesson was that that team wasn't the '76 team and it never would be, so let them do what THEY can do. In other words, utilize what you have. 

From what I read in game threads (can't get B10 right now) it sounds like there might be some pieces of a puzzle laying here.  If coach Miller can find the right combo and put them together the right way maybe they'll exceed expectations.  Maybe.  If not, well. . . we'll always have Paris.

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

When Rob re gained his form from the cuncussion we won 4 straight at the end of the year. when Rob was out last year we lost 12 of 13. Not saying we would of beat Wisconsin with him but it would of been a different game. The PG Is the QB of the team. He sets the pace and tone on both ends of the floor. Hard to win on the road in the BIG without your starting PG

Rob played in 32 of the 35 games last year, if I'm reading correctly.  He went out Dec 19th vs central Arkansas only playing 7 mins.  He came back against Maryland Jan 11 playing 18 mins.  It's weird that it felt like he was out longer than that.  He clearly took a while to get back to being himself, if he ever did.  Just shows the importance of a point guard.  

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

agreed.  But i am getting a little tired of losing to teams we should beat on most nights.  And i do know teams lose games they shouldn't and win ones they should also.

A lot of people are going to lose at Wisconsin. Just FYI...in the B1G there are no “should win” road games. Maybe Rutgers and Northwestern but anything outside that is 50/50 at best and likely a dog fight.

Madison is a tough place to play regardless. I wasn't expecting a win by any stretch. But I think competing would have been appropriate. And we most obviously did not do that. We looked lethargic. They got whatever they wanted offensively and what, if any, half court offense we ran looked like it was stuck in cement. Not a good omen for our B1G fortunes this season. Need a major improvement quickly or it could get ugly. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

A lot of people are going to lose at Wisconsin. Just FYI...in the B1G there are no “should win” road games. Maybe Rutgers and Northwestern but anything outside that is 50/50 at best and likely a dog fight.

Its not losing to Wisc at Kohl.  Its the way we lost.  That could have easily ended up a 40+ loss.  That is unacceptable.  And its not like that team is a final four caliber team. But its time to move on to UConn and see whats next

9 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its not losing to Wisc at Kohl.  Its the way we lost.  That could have easily ended up a 40+ loss.  That is unacceptable.  And its not like that team is a final four caliber team. But its time to move on to UConn and see whats next

Agreed time to move on...but lose by 20 or 40 makes no difference. Games typically snow ball once you get down 20...sure would have liked to battle out a close game but a win was far from certain. Won’t be the last egg we lay. It happens and it happens to way worse teams than Wisconsin...who despite what you may think I believe will be a tournament team come March.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, IU Scott said:

Next 4 games are not at home because we play UCONN in New York and play ND in Indy

1 down and ND is a mess so far. MUST win at home vs NEB and ARK!  12-1 with some rhythm and EVERYBODY finally healthy could be the CHRISTmas wish we all wished for!  You see Charlie Brown, that’s the TRUE meaning of CHRISTmas.

Archived