Gator Bowl Pregame thread - IU vs. UT

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana is better than Louisville this season.  Not sure why you think that????

For some reason, I was conflating Cincinnati with Louisville in my head.  

Also, As an IU fan of many years, I think my first reaction in situations like this is to assume teams take us lightly because we're Indiana.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Welcome to the board and feel free to share what your team strength/weaknesses are all about. This board (can't say for others) is a great place for discussion. Tell your friends we always welcome great conversation here!

I appreciate that! I will definitely share some information in the weeks ahead. Just for a fun fact, the last time our teams played was the 1988 Peach Bowl in Atlanta. This was following the 1987 season and took place on Jan. 2, 1988 (therefore, the Gator Bowl game will take place exactly 32 years, to the day, later). It was a close game that Tennessee ended up winning 27-22. We were coached by Johnny Majors, while the Hoosiers were led by Bill Mallory. On a side note, I was sorry to hear of Coach Mallory passing last year.

2 minutes ago, UTVols1891 said:

I appreciate that! I will definitely share some information in the weeks ahead. Just for a fun fact, the last time our teams played was the 1988 Peach Bowl in Atlanta. This was following the 1987 season and took place on Jan. 2, 1988 (therefore, the Gator Bowl game will take place exactly 32 years, to the day, later). It was a close game that Tennessee ended up winning 27-22. We were coached by Johnny Majors, while the Hoosiers were led by Bill Mallory. On a side note, I was sorry to hear of Coach Mallory passing last year.

Thanks. He's still seen as the gold standard at Indiana, although Tom Allen is the first coach we've had in a long time that might challenge that.

FWIW, his 3 sons took to the family business pretty well: 2 are currently NFL assistants and one is the head coach at Indiana State.

History lesson boys and girls.

Back in the day there was a very special bond between IU and UT.  I have not forgot it nor has my Vol family that still reside in Tennessee.  Ya see there was this guy that was Bobby's team mate at Ohio St.  That same team mate became one of Bobby's assistants at Army.  That same team mate went on to be the HC at Knoxville.  That guy?  Don DeVoe.

37 minutes ago, UTVols1891 said:

Tennessee fan here. First of all, best of luck to you guys in the bowl game; hopefully it’s a great game and everyone stays healthy. In terms of the bowl selection, we Tennessee fans typically have a bias against the Music City Bowl. We have played in it many times in the past, as they like to choose us knowing we will bring a lot of fans to Nashville. We just view it as kind of a boring bowl to be in, seeing as how it’s only 2 and a half hours down the road from Knoxville and is typically pretty cold in Nashville in late December. We already play Vanderbilt in Nashville every other year, plus we usually play one of our early season non-conference games at the Titans stadium in Nashville once every few years. So Nashville just isn’t very exciting to us, at least not compared to a January bowl game in a much warmer Florida location. Our fans travel really well to bowl games, so the weather really does have a lot to do with it. Plus playing in Florida is seen as better for recruiting purposes. The Gator Bowl is just seen as more prestigious than the Music City Bowl, so you can’t really blame us for wanting it. One thing I can promise you, however, is that our fans do not consider Indiana to be an easier game than Louisville. It has been said many times on our forums that the one plus of going to the Music City Bowl and playing Louisville is that it would be an easier win for us. Kentucky is our only common opponent with Louisville...UK beat them 45-13, whereas we beat UK 17-13. You guys are 8-4, a game better than Louisville, and you also played a much harder schedule. Michigan State is the only somewhat “weak” loss on your schedule. So we know we will have a tough game ahead of us against you guys. I’m getting ready to go back and watch film on all your games...I already have the Ball State game queued up and ready to go! 

Welcome to HSN. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

History lesson boys and girls.

Back in the day there was a very special bond between IU and UT.  I have not forgot it nor has my Vol family that still reside in Tennessee.  Ya see there was this guy that was Bobby's team mate at Ohio St.  That same team mate became one of Bobby's assistants at Army.  That same team mate went on to be the HC at Knoxville.  That guy?  Don DeVoe.

I'll be hornswoggled. That's one I never knew before.

Scouting report I received from a Vol fan/friend on another board that goes by the handle of Sea Ray:

Tennessee is a defensive minded team. Their head coach is a defensive guy and he's a good teacher. Team is nothing like the team that started the yr 0-2. Gotta write that off. QB is the biggest question mark. In fact I can't even tell you for sure who the starter will be. I presume it'll be RS-Jr Jarrett Guarantano. At his best he is a game manager who can do a lot of things "OK" but nothing "well." His bad games have led to losses including Alabama. If he'd played better vs Alabama that game would have given the Crimson Tide a scare well into the 4th qtr. If Guarantano is suckin', coach Pruitt will not hesitate to pull him and put in one of two freshman. In general Tenn QBs do not run the ball much. The UT OC is Jim Chaney who was Georgia's OC up until this yr. So picture previous UGa offenses to know what UT runs.

Expect Tenn to pound the run and then do play action to throw over the top to any of 3 very athletic WRs. One of them, DeJuan Jennings, will not play until the second half. He's a big target kinda like a poor man's Dez Bryant but not a speedster. The other guys, Josh Palmer and Marquez Calloway have speed to burn that you don't often see in the B10. Expect IU to give them big cushions that'll likely frustrate the hell out of you.

The Vols have a FR RB who is also a speedster but he didn't play much until recently so his season stats won't impress you, Eric Gray. The Vols O-line is underrated.

The defense is led by SR ILB Daniel Bituli. He's a leader and a tackling machine. SS Nigel Warrior is another leader and a ball hawk. Soph CB Bryce Thompson is a guy who's had nagging injuries and off the field issues. He was missed in those first two losses of the season due to a suspension. When he's healthy he's also an INT waiting to happen.

UT is a mix of seniors and very young inexperienced guys. Depth is a problem so I think the extra month will really help them in that it'll get guys healthy that were in and out of the starting lineup in the past month. Expect Bituli, Warrior, O-lineman Trey Smith, TE Dominick Wood-Anderson, Calloway, Jennings and edge pass rusher Darryl Taylor to go high in the NFL draft this Spring.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Scouting report I received from a Vol fan/friend on another board that goes by the handle of Sea Ray:

Tennessee is a defensive minded team. Their head coach is a defensive guy and he's a good teacher. Team is nothing like the team that started the yr 0-2. Gotta write that off. QB is the biggest question mark. In fact I can't even tell you for sure who the starter will be. I presume it'll be RS-Jr Jarrett Guarantano. At his best he is a game manager who can do a lot of things "OK" but nothing "well." His bad games have led to losses including Alabama. If he'd played better vs Alabama that game would have given the Crimson Tide a scare well into the 4th qtr. If Guarantano is suckin', coach Pruitt will not hesitate to pull him and put in one of two freshman. In general Tenn QBs do not run the ball much. The UT OC is Jim Chaney who was Georgia's OC up until this yr. So picture previous UGa offenses to know what UT runs.

Expect Tenn to pound the run and then do play action to throw over the top to any of 3 very athletic WRs. One of them, DeJuan Jennings, will not play until the second half. He's a big target kinda like a poor man's Dez Bryant but not a speedster. The other guys, Josh Palmer and Marquez Calloway have speed to burn that you don't often see in the B10. Expect IU to give them big cushions that'll likely frustrate the hell out of you.

The Vols have a FR RB who is also a speedster but he didn't play much until recently so his season stats won't impress you, Eric Gray. The Vols O-line is underrated.

The defense is led by SR ILB Daniel Bituli. He's a leader and a tackling machine. SS Nigel Warrior is another leader and a ball hawk. Soph CB Bryce Thompson is a guy who's had nagging injuries and off the field issues. He was missed in those first two losses of the season due to a suspension. When he's healthy he's also an INT waiting to happen.

UT is a mix of seniors and very young inexperienced guys. Depth is a problem so I think the extra month will really help them in that it'll get guys healthy that were in and out of the starting lineup in the past month. Expect Bituli, Warrior, O-lineman Trey Smith, TE Dominick Wood-Anderson, Calloway, Jennings and edge pass rusher Darryl Taylor to go high in the NFL draft this Spring.

Everything is right expect the scouting report on JG. Entirely wrong there. 

Archived