Gator Bowl Pregame thread - IU vs. UT

https://tennessee.forums.rivals.com/threads/indiana-twitter-is-shaking-in-their-boots-let’s-let-them-know-that-their-concern-is-warranted.584784/    Funny title . I didn't go behind their paywall, but the title says it all.😂🤣   Not sure about twitter IU fans m but I just checked my boots.. Not moving     Is this satire or is rust water a popular beverage down there? 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all! The previous post about Jarrett Guarantano is pretty accurate unfortunately. He will be the likely starter against IU. The problem with Guarantano is he is a bit of a head case at times. If he is having a good mental day on January 2nd the score will likely be 30+, if he's having a bad mental day expect 20 or below unless we end up having a great ground game. The Vols website you should be visiting is not Rivals or 247 it's https://www.volnation.com/forum/forums/tennessee-vols-football.6/

30 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

https://tennessee.forums.rivals.com/threads/indiana-twitter-is-shaking-in-their-boots-let’s-let-them-know-that-their-concern-is-warranted.584784/    Funny title . I didn't go behind their paywall, but the title says it all.😂🤣   Not sure about twitter IU fans m but I just checked my boots.. Not moving     Is this satire or is rust water a popular beverage down there? 

Twitter might be. I'm not. They're a fair opponent. Neither team is exponentially better than the other in any aspect. As much as I'd like to put a hurting on the Big Blue Hilljacks, I'm glad we have UT.

12 minutes ago, CougVol said:

Hey all! The previous post about Jarrett Guarantano is pretty accurate unfortunately. He will be the likely starter against IU. The problem with Guarantano is he is a bit of a head case at times. If he is having a good mental day on January 2nd the score will likely be 30+, if he's having a bad mental day expect 20 or below unless we end up having a great ground game. The Vols website you should be visiting is not Rivals or 247 it's https://www.volnation.com/forum/forums/tennessee-vols-football.6/

A fan base whose best site is a 3rd party away from Rivals or 247? Ya'll can't be all bad.

15 minutes ago, CougVol said:

Welcome aboard and thank you.

39 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Volnation is the better forum with more activity. It’s free too.

Just now, CougVol said:

Oh the irony! 😀

Oh, and just FYI for Vols fans, Indiana's 247 and Rivals sites are similar to yours....official status: "meh". If you go there and are received well, all good. If otherwise, don't take that as a reflection of our entire fan base.

Hey, at the end of the day, we can all agree on two things.... A) a safe, entertaining game on the 2nd and B) screw UK.

11 minutes ago, CougVol said:

Welcome! Thanks for your take and the link!  Much appreciated! 

I read all upcoming opponent boards and as many  articles , video clips , and beat opinions to go with the fan side as time permits.. 

Had already been to all of  pUKe's little blue puddles. I love any board where folks prove that breathing air is still a thing. 

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

Welcome! Thanks for your take and the link!  Much appreciated! 

I read all upcoming opponent boards and as many  articles , video clips , and beat opinions to go with the fan side as time permits.. 

Had already been to all of  pUKe's little blue puddles. I love any board where folks prove that breathing air is still a thing. 

Too bad their air is more paint fumes and meth smoke than oxygen.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Too bad their air is more paint fumes and meth smoke than oxygen.

I knew there was a reason to throw my jacket over the puddles other than being a gentleman. although all of those melted dentures are a dead giveaway.  I don't want to know what else is in them(or their "air") 

Tonight I’m enjoying a nice glass of red wine and a HUGE, HEAPING plate of crow. Predicted 5-7 this year and will admit that I thought those thinking we could win 8 were delusional and.....if you would have told me before the season that we would be in a January Florida Bowl I would have assumed you had been drinking for 12 hours.

Going to enjoy eating my crow tonight and congratulations to the Hoosiers !

I think these teams are pretty evenly matched.  IU's offense is solidly better than UT's, and UT's defense is better than IU's.

If you look at their schedule, who they've beaten, how they've beaten them, and who they've lost to, there's not a lot to be scared of there.

I just went and looked at the VolNation board that was linked to here:  Not much respect given to IU.  I can only hope their team feels the same; from a purely statistical point of view, IU should be favored to win.

At the end of the day, the same phrase could be said of Indiana and Tennessee; "This isn't your grandpa's football team."

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Well for the guys on the basketball board you obviously know me. Die Hard IU hoops and UT football so if you have questions let me know. My initial prediction is UT 28 IU 20.

i will admit I know 2% of IU as I do UT.

Does this sound right???
It seems as though UT had a horrible start to the year but went on to finish by beating several bowl bound teams. Any idea as to how their DL will do against our OL ? Not sure of their strengths.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think these teams are pretty evenly matched.  IU's offense is solidly better than UT's, and UT's defense is better than IU's.

If you look at their schedule, who they've beaten, how they've beaten them, and who they've lost to, there's not a lot to be scared of there.

I just went and looked at the VolNation board that was linked to here:  Not much respect given to IU.  I can only hope their team feels the same; from a purely statistical point of view, IU should be favored to win.

At the end of the day, the same phrase could be said of Indiana and Tennessee; "This isn't your grandpa's football team."

Volnations thread about the Gator Bowl is titled: 

“Tennessee vs Indiana mismatch”

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Yeah, that thread took arrogance and ignorance to a whole new level.  Game opens up as a pick em.  Even odds.  Quite the mismatch.

Good Lord, I just went back and read some more of that board.  Arrogant and ignorant is an understatement.  By and large, the posters on that board have all but guaranteed a Tennessee victory.

Some of the best posts are people saying, "Tennessee won their last 5, IU lost 2 of their last 3" without qualifying that those losses were to teams that would, in all likelihood, make Tennessee look like they were in the FCS (ok, maybe a little exaggerated, but Tennessee isn't beating any of those teams this year).

Also, Big Ten East>>>>>>>SEC East.  IU is in the Big Ten varsity division while Tennessee is in the SEC JV. 

AND the fact that IU has outscored Tennessee on the season by 391-291 while giving up only 34 more than them during a schedule playing OSU, Penn State, Michigan, and MSU (who always has a great defense) should tell anyone that this game should be a good one.

38 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Yeah, that thread took arrogance and ignorance to a whole new level.  Game opens up as a pick em.  Even odds.  Quite the mismatch.

I never confuse the kindness of a few with the respect of many, even if the posters visiting here have been cool.  Wonder how those particular smug posters cope with eating our table scraps at QB . Also if they were truly that high and mighty DeBord's immediate prior stop to IU wouldn't have been down there..

Before anyone goes smashing me - I'll have them know it was a HUGE downgrade from Wilson at also-OC !

Archived