Gator Bowl Pregame thread - IU vs. UT

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kind of like our basketball fans. 

They played with UGA for 3qs and Bana for all 4. They did get whipped by UF. 

Not sure what any of that has to do with us though. 

I don't like comments like this because we are IU fans and not just basketball fans.  It would make sense to me if you are an IU football fan, you would be a basketball fan as well.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kind of like our basketball fans. 

They played with UGA for 3qs and Bana for all 4. They did get whipped by UF. 

Not sure what any of that has to do with us though. 

Down 2 TDs at home after 3 quarters, I guess you can say they “played with Georgia” though that’s not what I would consider calling it. More like semi-competitive to me. 

I love the wishful thinking that UT played with Bama. Tua led TD drives on the first 3 of 4 possessions and when he got hurt, they were up double digits (21-10) with the ball with 6:00 left in the 2nd quarter. Then Jones, who had only thrown 13 career passes before this game, came in and could only muster 7 points the remaining game. Bama had to change their game plan and run much more. Jones only attempted 11 passes the rest of the game.  I’m willing to put money down that Tua would’ve led the offense to more than just 7 points the remaining 2 and a half quarters of football and the scored would’ve been much worse than it already ended up being.

When an opposing fan base starts a pregame thread that says Tennessee vs Indiana Mismatch, that’s when it gets personal. Sure Tennessee might win big, but they’ve accomplished nothing this year  (other than beating the bottom dwellers of the SEC) to be so arrogant going into this game.

10 minutes ago, MPM said:

Down 2 TDs at home after 3 quarters, I guess you can say they “played with Georgia” though that’s not what I would consider calling it. More like semi-competitive to me. 

I love the wishful thinking that UT played with Bama. Tua led TD drives on the first 3 of 4 possessions and when he got hurt, they were up double digits (21-10) with the ball with 6:00 left in the 2nd quarter. Then Jones, who had only thrown 13 career passes before this game, came in and could only muster 7 points the remaining game. Bama had to change their game plan and run much more. Jones only attempted 11 passes the rest of the game.  I’m willing to put money down that Tua would’ve led the offense to more than just 7 points the remaining 2 and a half quarters of football and the scored would’ve been much worse than it already ended up being.

When an opposing fan base starts a pregame thread that says Tennessee vs Indiana Mismatch, that’s when it gets personal. Sure Tennessee might win big, but they’ve accomplished nothing this year  (other than beating the bottom dwellers of the SEC) to be so arrogant going into this game.

If we're saying that UT was competitive with Georgia, then we also have to say IU was competitive with Michigan.  I don't think that's the case for either team.  UT is not as good as their fans think they are.

Their 5 game winning streak was against precisely the kinds of teams their fans are accusing IU of padding their record with. 

UT's 5 game winning streak:

1. 41-21 vs South Carolina
  2. 30-7 vs UAB
  3. 17-13 vs UK
  4. 24-20 vs Missouri
  5. 28-10 vs Vanderbilt

That ESPN projection of 37-34 is really weird to me.  UT put up 28 on Vanderbilt (who have given up 30+ points 7 times this season), haven't scored over 30 in over a month, and they've only scored more than that in 2 games all season against bad teams.  Meanwhile, IU has scored 30+ in 9 games and in 3 of the last five with the two we failed to score over 30 coming against Penn State and Michigan.    

If IU scores 34, I think it's very likely we are going to win.  UT's game is going to be to ball control and keep it a defensive game in this one, not offensive.

1 hour ago, MPM said:

In the 3rd quarter, Alabama was up 28-13.  Guarantano decided to try a qb sneak into the endzone , instead of running the play that was called.  He goes over the top and fumbles into the endzone...Bama runs it back 100+ yards for a TD...so instead of ending the 3rd quarter being down 28-20, UT was down 35-13.  Until that one play, UT was absolutely still in the game.  Injuries are part of the game...UT was playing Bama with the players who were out there.  So was UT.  Every team has to deal with injuries.  

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

That ESPN projection of 37-34 is really weird to me.  UT put up 28 on Vanderbilt (who have given up 30+ points 7 times this season), haven't scored over 30 in over a month, and they've only scored more than that in 2 games all season against bad teams.  Meanwhile, IU has scored 30+ in 9 games and in 3 of the last five with the two we failed to score over 30 coming against Penn State and Michigan.    

If IU scores 34, I think it's very likely we are going to win.  UT's game is going to be to ball control and keep it a defensive game in this one, not offensive.

Did you see any of the UT game vs Vanderbilt?  The game was delayed multiple times for lightning and heavy wind/rain.  It wasn't exactly prime conditions for offensive scoring.  Guarantano started off exceptionally slow...but his Grandmother (who he was extremely close to) died 2 days before (on Thanksgiving day).  Conditions were primed for UT to come out flat...they did, and still put up 28.  

1 hour ago, Madmaxvol said:

In the 3rd quarter, Alabama was up 28-13.  Guarantano decided to try a qb sneak into the endzone , instead of running the play that was called.  He goes over the top and fumbles into the endzone...Bama runs it back 100+ yards for a TD...so instead of ending the 3rd quarter being down 28-20, UT was down 35-13.  Until that one play, UT was absolutely still in the game.  Injuries are part of the game...UT was playing Bama with the players who were out there.  So was UT.  Every team has to deal with injuries.  

Congrats that it took the only variable possible for them to even be able to compete in that game. If catching that huge break makes you feel better about your season then more power to you. Any objective person knows you would’ve been blown out, like Florida and Georgia,  with Tua playing that whole game. You’re right that every team has to deal with injuries. Losing one of the top players at the most important position will play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Especially when the backup has very little experience. 

2 hours ago, Madmaxvol said:

Did you see any of the UT game vs Vanderbilt?  The game was delayed multiple times for lightning and heavy wind/rain.  It wasn't exactly prime conditions for offensive scoring.  Guarantano started off exceptionally slow...but his Grandmother (who he was extremely close to) died 2 days before (on Thanksgiving day).  Conditions were primed for UT to come out flat...they did, and still put up 28.  

You seem to have missed my overall point.  It's a trend for UT to not score a lot all year.

1 hour ago, MPM said:

Congrats that it took the only variable possible for them to even be able to compete in that game. If catching that huge break makes you feel better about your season then more power to you. Any objective person knows you would’ve been blown out, like Florida and Georgia,  with Tua playing that whole game. You’re right that every team has to deal with injuries. Losing one of the top players at the most important position will play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Especially when the backup has very little experience. 

Tua played most of the first half and was held to 14. He doesn’t play well with pressure and was feeling it often til being put out of the game. His bad decision making when pressured was exposed last year.

Now to your theory that UT didn’t have an impressive season, I’d agree with you. What was impressive was how they held it together and improved weekly. With UT’s dominant record over Big 10 opponents in bowl games there is probably a lot of fans overlooking y’all. We’ve seen highly ranked Big 10 teams get embarrassed by mediocre UT teams before. That has no bearing on this game though. I hope it’s a closely contested clean game with UT coming out on top. 

1 hour ago, Allvol said:

Tua played most of the first half and was held to 14. He doesn’t play well with pressure and was feeling it often til being put out of the game. His bad decision making when pressured was exposed last year.

Now to your theory that UT didn’t have an impressive season, I’d agree with you. What was impressive was how they held it together and improved weekly. With UT’s dominant record over Big 10 opponents in bowl games there is probably a lot of fans overlooking y’all. We’ve seen highly ranked Big 10 teams get embarrassed by mediocre UT teams before. That has no bearing on this game though. I hope it’s a closely contested clean game with UT coming out on top. 

Tua played in 4 possessions, and scored 3 touchdowns.  On the 4th, he threw an interception from the 2 yard line.  On Tua's 4 drives, they were

• 4 plays, 35 yards - TD
  • 5 plays, 36 yards - Int
  • 6 plays, 65 yards - TD
  • 6 plays, 75 yards - TD

10 yards per play and 3 touchdowns in 4 possessions is not playing well with pressure and feeling it often?  I'm sorry, but that is terrible.  Tua would have put up over 500 yards and 50 points if he didn't get hurt.

16 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Tua played in 4 possessions, and scored 3 touchdowns.  On the 4th, he threw an interception from the 2 yard line.  On Tua's 4 drives, they were

• 4 plays, 35 yards - TD
  • 5 plays, 36 yards - Int
  • 6 plays, 65 yards - TD
  • 6 plays, 75 yards - TD

10 yards per play and 3 touchdowns in 4 possessions is not playing well with pressure and feeling it often?  I'm sorry, but that is terrible.  Tua would have put up over 500 yards and 50 points if he didn't get hurt.

Glad he ain’t playin for y’all then. 

By the way, Tua- 0 TDs 1int

On 12/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, rogue3542 said:

If we're saying that UT was competitive with Georgia, then we also have to say IU was competitive with Michigan.  I don't think that's the case for either team.  UT is not as good as their fans think they are.

Their 5 game winning streak was against precisely the kinds of teams their fans are accusing IU of padding their record with. 

UT's 5 game winning streak:

1. 41-21 vs South Carolina
  2. 30-7 vs UAB
  3. 17-13 vs UK
  4. 24-20 vs Missouri
  5. 28-10 vs Vanderbilt

The Vols defense saved us in several of the wins this year. The O was anemic at times. There are several legit playmakers but had trouble clicking at times. 

On 12/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, MPM said:

You’re right that every team has to deal with injuries. Losing one of the top players at the most important position will play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Especially when the backup has very little experience. 

Alabama was 6-0 when they played UT, and had won several blowouts.  If the backup had very little experience, that is Saban's fault.  They had plenty of opportunities to get Jones ready...and they blew it.   Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

On 12/9/2019 at 4:04 PM, rogue3542 said:

You seem to have missed my overall point.  It's a trend for UT to not score a lot all year.

Ok...that is true.  But UT's offense has progressed significantly as the season went on, after the Alabama game.  

The week before the Vandy game, Guarantano put up 415 yards passing (a career high).  Missouri averaged giving up 19 points per game this season...UT put up 24 (5 points above the average)

Against Vandy, the weather sucked, and UT True Freshman Gray put up 245 yards rushing (a career high).  Vanderbilt averaged giving up 31 points per game this season...and in crappy conditions, UT put up 28 (3 points below the average).

They scored 41 against South Carolina (15 above their seasonal average)

They scored 17 against Kentucky (1 below their seasonal average)

They put up 30 against UAB (10 above their seasonal average)

It is a trend (since the Bama game) for UT to score right at, or significantly above the average for what their opponents give up per game.  

3 hours ago, Madmaxvol said:

Alabama was 6-0 when they played UT, and had won several blowouts.  If the backup had very little experience, that is Saban's fault.  They had plenty of opportunities to get Jones ready...and they blew it.   Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

This is the conundrum of balancing what's best for the team in pursuit of a championship, and allowing a kid to put up bigger numbers in pursuit of the Heisman.  In this case, neither goal was achieved.

9 hours ago, Madmaxvol said:

Ok...that is true.  But UT's offense has progressed significantly as the season went on, after the Alabama game.  

The week before the Vandy game, Guarantano put up 415 yards passing (a career high).  Missouri averaged giving up 19 points per game this season...UT put up 24 (5 points above the average)

Against Vandy, the weather sucked, and UT True Freshman Gray put up 245 yards rushing (a career high).  Vanderbilt averaged giving up 31 points per game this season...and in crappy conditions, UT put up 28 (3 points below the average).

They scored 41 against South Carolina (15 above their seasonal average)

They scored 17 against Kentucky (1 below their seasonal average)

They put up 30 against UAB (10 above their seasonal average)

It is a trend (since the Bama game) for UT to score right at, or significantly above the average for what their opponents give up per game.  

I found my Tennessee twin.

17 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is the conundrum of balancing what's best for the team in pursuit of a championship, and allowing a kid to put up bigger numbers in pursuit of the Heisman.  In this case, neither goal was achieved.

Hindsight's 20/20.  At least 1 Bama Quarterback gets to play in the playoff.  Well...former, I should say.

Archived