Gator Bowl Pregame thread - IU vs. UT

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20191226/taxslayer-gator-bowl-tennessee-indiana-fans-help-boost-ticket-sales-past-55k

“Both programs have exceeded our expectations,” Catlett said. “We knew what we were getting with Tennessee. But Indiana has been exceptional and has sold tickets better than any Big Ten team we’ve had in our game under the current contract, with the exception of Penn State.”

18 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20191226/taxslayer-gator-bowl-tennessee-indiana-fans-help-boost-ticket-sales-past-55k

“Both programs have exceeded our expectations,” Catlett said. “We knew what we were getting with Tennessee. But Indiana has been exceptional and has sold tickets better than any Big Ten team we’ve had in our game under the current contract, with the exception of Penn State.”

Well done everyone.

Don't discount this either. If IU gets a reputation of traveling well, it makes us more desirable for future bowls.

18 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Colts play in Jax Sunday... I'm sure a lot of Hoosiers are making a week out of it all. 

On 12/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, Leathernecks said:

Huge for future bowls as we all know.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Well done everyone.

Don't discount this either. If IU gets a reputation of traveling well, it makes us more desirable for future bowls.

Agreed.

On the flip side, how much is pent up demand? Are those same folks going to go every year?

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Agreed.

On the flip side, how much is pent up demand? Are those same folks going to go every year?

Yep....and anyone who has spent a little time between Tampa to Naples knows about every fifth person you walk by has Hoosier roots or blood in them this time of year. If we can consistently get to 8 wins I expect Hoosiers to travel and travel well wherever we go.....but especially in Florida.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Think how the UT fans feel after getting whipped by Wisky on their home floor?

After losing our starting point guard (second leading scorer ) with a career ending injury last week, UT basketball's season is in a spiral.  In the history of UT basketball, there have only been 5 players to have over 1,000 points, 300 rebounds and 300 assists for their career...Lamonte Turner was one of those 5.  With a young team like this...that is a difficult loss to recover from.  This UT squad was a bubble team with Turner on the floor.  They probably are an NIT team without him.  

5 hours ago, Madmaxvol said:

After losing our starting point guard (second leading scorer ) with a career ending injury last week, UT basketball's season is in a spiral.  In the history of UT basketball, there have only been 5 players to have over 1,000 points, 300 rebounds and 300 assists for their career...Lamonte Turner was one of those 5.  With a young team like this...that is a difficult loss to recover from.  This UT squad was a bubble team with Turner on the floor.  They probably are an NIT team without him.  

Definitely a kick in the sack losing Turner.  But I am curious as to the other 4 with the numbers you mentioned.  I would like to think that Ernie Grunfeld, Bernard King, Dale Ellis, and Allen Houston are they?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Definitely a kick in the sack losing Turner.  But I am curious as to the other 4 with the numbers you mentioned.  I would like to think that Ernie Grunfeld, Bernard King, Dale Ellis, and Allen Houston are they?

I was going to say Chris Lofton, but he's 80 assists short.

King, Ellis and Grant Williams also fell short on assists.  Now I'm curious.

19 hours ago, rico said:

You got one of them.  

CJ Watson - 1,424 points, 317 Assists, 438 Rebounds

Tony Harris - 1,588 points, 509 Assists, 288 Rebounds

Allan Houston -  2,801 points, 460 Assists, 517 Rebounds

Fred Jenkins -  1,139 points, 388 Assists, 377 Rebounds

Brandon Wharton - 1,651 points, 315 Assists, 392 Rebounds

2 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

You got one of them.  

CJ Watson - 1,424 points, 317 Assists, 438 Rebounds

Tony Harris - 1,588 points, 509 Assists, 288 Rebounds

Allan Houston -  2,801 points, 460 Assists, 517 Rebounds

Fred Jenkins -  1,139 points, 388 Assists, 377 Rebounds