IU vs Seton Hall. Game thread

milehiiu

I might get blasted for this, but the amount of personal attacks on the players is over the top.  We all want to see good play and enjoy success. Pathetic, cry-babies, clueless, worthless, etc.....We should also be mentally tougher and not resort to personal attacks and finger pointing.  

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUDan93 said:

I might get blasted for this, but the amount of personal attacks on the players is over the top.  We all want to see good play and enjoy success. Pathetic, cry-babies, clueless, worthless, etc.....We should also be mentally tougher and not resort to personal attacks and finger pointing.  

Sorry Dan, that's what fans, of any sport, do. No participation trophies here.....

17 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Today we showed that we are capable of finishing in the top half of the Big Ten.  Whether we do it or not depends on leadership. I hope we get some. Looks like Durham is the only guy out there with a leadership capability. We'll see.

I think Green "could" be. If he gets help and other people are hitting shots and making plays, he is by far our best passer. But, when guys get pan hands and dont make plays he tries to do it on his own and thats not when hes at his best. 

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Sorry Dan, that's what fans, of any sport, do. No participation trophies here.....

I don't understand the participation trophy statement.  I did not ask for the players to get a trophy.  I know "fans" of all sports do this, hence my opening statement. However, personal attacks is not being mentally tough, IMO.

Back in real time. First half gave me some hope we could hold our own once we get used to the system and new collection of players. Second half made me we realize we still have a long way to go for this team to do for a full game against a high quality opponent. At least I saw some improvement from last game, so that's encouraging. 

5 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

You can’t coach effort or team first that’s on the players, so yeah some are pathetic cry babies, and they aren’t kids they are adults whom are benefiting from their talents. If they want to go through the motions fine, but the real world is a lot tougher than calling a player pathetic for lack of effort or caring for that matter.

I simply do not agree with the personal attacks, this to me shows a lack of mental toughness.  I think it is actually too easy to lash out an individuals you don't know and justify your reaction.  Critic play, effort, execution.  I am fine with this.  Name calling is not tough.  I don't mean to hijack this threads, so I will end my part here.

7 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I don't understand the participation trophy statement.  I did not ask for the players to get a trophy.  I know "fans" of all sports do this, hence my opening statement. However, personal attacks is not being mentally tough, IMO.

Got kids Dan? Reason I ask is because in todays' sports climate, kids, no matter how good or how bad, everyone gets a participation trophy. Hence my statement. And I don't remember anyone leveling personal attacks on the players unless I missed something.

16 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

@Stlboiler23 We played a Seton Hall team that has zero freshmen on their starting lineup. In fact, pretty much every player on their team is a junior or a senior, who have had the same coach their entire career. And Seton Hall is currently ranked as a top-25 team. 

Compare that to our first game, losing at home to Indiana State (?) by THIRTY.  Then we go into Seton Hall's house for our third game in 6 days after a day of travel, and were virtually tied at the half.  I'll take that any day after the way things began.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it was definitely an improvement over the ISU game. I completely forgot that Eron Gordon was on that team. So random haha. 

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Got kids Dan? Reason I ask is because in todays' sports climate, kids, no matter how good or how bad, everyone gets a participation trophy. Hence my statement. And I don't remember anyone leveling personal attacks on the players unless I missed something.

Yes, there were some that were getting close to the line.  Dan has a point.  But this is a place where people critique plays and players.  It is hard to refrain from attacks in the middle of a tight game. Dan is right.  Criticize the play...not the player.:D

Davis needs to avoid dumb fouls.  We're crippled with him on the bench and maybe more importantly he can't get experience and improve while sitting.

I definitely see that the team is FINALLY trying to play within a structure - they're just not very good at it yet.  The turnovers aren't any worse than last season and we're playing with 3 inexperienced freshmen.  We're going to take our lumps this year, no question about it but I'll be shocked if we don't see significant improvement as the season progresses.

I will respond to direct questions, so am breaking my previous statement about ending my part.  Yes I have kids.  I haven't witnessed everyone getting participation trophies, but still don't know why this matters with regards to personal attacks.  A personal attack is something like "he sucks".  I think, though many do not seem to agree, that it would be better to say "Their effort is never going to lead to success", or even, "their effort sucks".  I guess this is just me and my take.  No big deal if you guys don't agree, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Really disappointed in Davis tonight. If he doesn’t get better we aren’t going to beat anyone with a front court. No excuse for him to still be out of shape and soft on defense.

Saw some good things in the first half (mostly from Green) but SH kept us in the game with their sloppy play. They woke up in the second half and we got desperate and took a ton of bad shots and made a lot of bad passes. Defensively we were just out matched watching RoJo try to guard Rodriguez was an absolute joke...will be curious to see how we respond and if the seniors lose the minutes they haven’t earned

I couldn't watch tonight but did listen to most of the game. Can anyone tell me if we fed Davis inside and how he did with those touches? 4 points and 1 rebound isn't going to cut it. Hopefully he saw what he needs to become going up against Delgado. Davis needed to hold his own in that matchup. If he does , we take care of the ball and don't foul, we are right in that game.  I think Hartman will be a difference maker. We need him back yesterday and need him healthy.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I couldn't watch tonight but did listen to most of the game. Can anyone tell me if we fed Davis inside and how he did with those touches? 4 points and 1 rebound isn't going to cut it. Hopefully he saw what he needs to become going up against Delgado. Davis needed to hold his own in that matchup. If he does , we take care of the ball and don't foul, we are right in that game.  I think Hartman will be a difference maker. We need him back yesterday and need him healthy.

Davis looked like Freshman Davis tonight. Dumb fouls.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Didn't watch.  Took my 11 year old daughter to a high school girls game instead.  May or may not watch the recording.  

It is with watching. Still some frustrating things for sure, but some improvements too. The refs did us no favors in the second half. I kinda wish Archie would have gotten a tech. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Finally a good move from Morgan, few and far between 

I have not seen the game, so this is observation is based solely on the box and the fact that he was playing on a bad ankle.  Morgan is NOT one of the major problems with this team.  Not sure what/who you want him to be.  But, he is a solid rebounder and can contribute on the offensive end without scoring a ton of points. 

1 minute ago, HoosierKix said:

We played better and continue to grow but Seton Hall was just to tough and we tried to throw too many lobs...That's pretty much the game.

Yeah...our entry passes SUCKED in comparison to Seton Hall's.  Numerous times we threw it too high to too hard for the players underneath to get their hands on it.

Archived