Welcome Vols Fans

34 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

In some regions Hoosier is used as a derogation term similar to redneck. 

One of your most notable fans has repeatedly said that “what this world needs is a few more rednecks.”

Have to wonder who he REALLY supports in this game. 

hxDAAK.gif

But Mile is right. No one actually knows. 

I found out years ago.  When a relative that graduated from Missouri told me about what they call Hoosiers in that state. Most especially in St. Louis. I was shocked and disappointed.  Needless to say it is not positive.

Had an Indiana history class in the 6th grade.  Teacher told us Hoosier came from  frontiersmen in Indiana. Who, when camping, heard someone approaching their campsite at night and.... would ask : "who's there "? Some interpreted that as "Hoosier".   I have no reason not to think that was the case.  But again. No one knows for sure.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I found out years ago.  When a relative that graduated from Missouri told me about what they call Hoosiers in that state. Most especially in St. Louis. I was shocked and disappointed.  Needless to say it is not positive.

Had an Indiana history class in the 6th grade.  Teacher told us Hoosier came from  frontiersmen in Indiana. Who, when camping, heard someone approaching their campsite at night and.... would ask : "who's there "? Some interpreted that as "Hoosier".   I have no reason not to think that was the case.  But again. No one knows for sure.

I was taught the "Who's there?" notation as well.  My Indiana history teacher also said that back in the old days fights were common along the Ohio River and ear cutting was common hence "Who's ear"?

But the one I like best is what my Mama said.  A Hoosier is a hillbilly that was on their way to Michigan and they broke a wheel on their wagon in Indiana and settled here!

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I was taught the "Who's there?" notation as well.  My Indiana history teacher also said that back in the old days fights were common along the Ohio River and ear cutting was common hence "Who's ear"?

But the one I like best is what my Mama said.  A Hoosier is a hillbilly that was on their way to Michigan and they broke a wheel on their wagon in Indiana and settled here!

Who's ear ?  Had heard that one as well.  Goes to prove.  No one really knows where Hoosier came from.  Just that we are the crossroads of America. Which aligns with what your Mama said.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Who's ear ?  Had heard that one as well.  Goes to prove.  No one really knows where Hoosier came from.  Just that we are the crossroads of America. Which aligns with what your Mama said.

Nope, nobody knows how "Hoosier" came about.  But what is a "Tar Heel"?  

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Nice. I live about 1.5 to 4 hours south of Chicago, depending on the traffic.

And or the weather. As well.  Grew up in Gary.  Limited traffic and good weather could make it to downtown Chicago in just over 30 minutes.   Doing the speed limit.  Last time I went from Gary. Through Chicago. On the Dan Ryan. It took me five hours. On a Sunday afternoon. No less. 

Still love Chi-town. But man. The traffic can be brutal at times.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And or the weather. As well.  Grew up in Gary.  Limited traffic and good weather could make it to downtown Chicago in just over 30 minutes.   Doing the speed limit.  Last time I went from Gary. Through Chicago. On the Dan Ryan. It took me five hours. On a Sunday afternoon. No less. 

Still love Chi-town. But man. The traffic can be brutal at times.

Luckily the metra is really easy to get to from where I live.  I almost never drive up there because of the traffic.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Luckily the metra is really easy to get to from where I live.  I almost never drive up there because of the traffic.

As in Denver. Chicago does have an efficient train system.  I have the  ridden the Chicago system.  And have to agree with you, riding it, looking at the cars stuck in traffic. Hope you are not having the same problem with Denver now.  Trains getting shut down, because they can't get enough drivers. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As in Denver. Chicago does have an efficient train system.  I have the  ridden the Chicago system.  And have to agree with you, riding it, looking at the cars stuck in traffic. Hope you are not having the same problem with Denver now.  Trains getting shut down, because they can't get enough drivers. 

I don't go up there very often, so I couldn't tell you.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Screw wikipedia I only use Ricopedia 

https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/story-north-carolina-naval-stores-industry-north-carolina-gallery-cart

What Is a Tar Heel?

Many historians believe that North Carolina became known as Tar Heel State because of the importance of tar production. The men working with pine trees and the sticky gum and tar would almost certainly have found themselves with plenty of the goo on the soles of their shoes or possibly on their bare feet. The term “tar heel” was considered derogatory early on. It indicated that a person was either an enslaved black or a poor, uneducated white. Today, however, North Carolinians look at the nickname with a sense of pride and an understanding of its origin.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/story-north-carolina-naval-stores-industry-north-carolina-gallery-cart

What Is a Tar Heel?

Many historians believe that North Carolina became known as Tar Heel State because of the importance of tar production. The men working with pine trees and the sticky gum and tar would almost certainly have found themselves with plenty of the goo on the soles of their shoes or possibly on their bare feet. The term “tar heel” was considered derogatory early on. It indicated that a person was either an enslaved black or a poor, uneducated white. Today, however, North Carolinians look at the nickname with a sense of pride and an understanding of its origin.

I did not want to comment because I dont know but I had always heard it was a derogatory comment about poor black country people

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did not want to comment because I dont know but I had always heard it was a derogatory comment about poor black country people

An old fella from Carolina told me years ago about the "tar heels."  Today we use/hear the term "Tobacco Road."  But in fact tar was the big commodity in North Carolina back in the day.  Unfortunately, slave labor was the primary work force in those "tar pits."

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So take out the racial connotation and you basically have the North Carolinian equivalent to "Hoosier" more or less.

Never noticed this before, but flagship state universities tend to be the ones with more unusual nicknames/mascots.  Hoosiers. Volunteers. Tar Heels. Fighting Illini. Badgers. Wolverines. Scarlet Knights. Golden Bears. Hawkeyes. Huskers. Longhorns. Sooners. Gamecocks. Vandals.

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Never noticed this before, but flagship state universities tend to be the ones with more unusual nicknames/mascots.  Hoosiers. Volunteers. Tar Heels. Fighting Illini. Badgers. Wolverines. Scarlet Knights. Golden Bears. Hawkeyes. Huskers. Longhorns. Sooners. Gamecocks. Vandals.

And let’s not forget the Terrapins. Nothing inspires more than a turtle.

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Speaking of nicknames how many D1 college nicknames can you name without looking it up that don't end in S

Archived